Sign in with
Your question

Power supply not enough for graphics card???

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 26, 2005 5:04:37 PM

I recently purchased an agp jaton 3dforce 6600 with 256mb of ram. I installed it into my little brothers computer so he could have a low end gaming system. When i installed it and updated all the drivers a message from nvida comes up saying that the cards speed has been lowered because there isnt enough power coming to it or something. I think i need to upgrade the power supply.

Computer: amd 3400+
1g ram 2-3-3-5
160gb harddrive
jaton 6600

The computer is a compaq presario sr1010z. I went to www.hp.com to look for the exact power supply and how much power it has but i was unable to find it. So i dont know how much power i need. I dont want to buy another power supply that doesnt have enough power. I was also thinking of putting another harddrive in the system. Can anyone tell me how much power i have and/or how much i need?
December 29, 2005 3:46:55 PM

I've had that happen when I forgot to hook up a power supply connection to the actual card.

Some cards, I believe the card in question requires you to actually hook a power supply connection to it. The same connection you would hook to a drive or a fan.

Make sure that you have that hooked up and properly in place before you replace anything.
December 30, 2005 11:39:02 PM

Unfortunately brand name computers are usually designed to "barely work" together. E.G., whatever power supply it came with will barely support the graphics card it came with. This makes the PC much cheaper...why should compaq use a power supply that has more power output than what its original config requires?
January 2, 2006 7:47:34 PM

The specs for the power supply should be on the box its self. I use a 250 watt power supply with an MSI 6600gt 128mb with an P4 2.8 and have no issues with power. But i tend to agree with Mills check to make sure everything is pluged in on the graphics card.
!