BCI-6 and BCI-3 ink

fred

Does anyone know if I can use ink for a BCI-3 color cartridge in a BCI-6
color cartridge, I don't want to have to waste the ink when I change
printers
TIA

bill

FRED wrote:

>Does anyone know if I can use ink for a BCI-3 color cartridge in a BCI-6
>color cartridge, I don't want to have to waste the ink when I change
>printers

Yes, the 3 & 6 series inks are essentially the same.

fred

That's good it costs too much to chuck out :)

"Bill" <bill@c.a> wrote in message news:NMadndCd67MrDOTcRVn-uA@golden.net...
> FRED wrote:
>
> >Does anyone know if I can use ink for a BCI-3 color cartridge in a BCI-6
> >color cartridge, I don't want to have to waste the ink when I change
> >printers
>
> Yes, the 3 & 6 series inks are essentially the same.

These are the easiest (and generally most successful) cartridges to refill.
Third party cartridges are inexpensive if you don't want to spend the few
minutes it takes to refill. Do a little searching on this newsgroup and
you'll find many references to vendors selling quality products at a
fraction of the OEM prices.
--
Ron Cohen

"FRED" <fred@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> That's good it costs too much to chuck out :)
>

> "Bill" <bill@c.a> wrote in message
>> FRED wrote:
>>
>> >Does anyone know if I can use ink for a BCI-3 color cartridge in a BCI-6
>> >color cartridge, I don't want to have to waste the ink when I change
>> >printers
>>
>> Yes, the 3 & 6 series inks are essentially the same.

---
AVG reports Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.

The BCI-3 C, M & Y are interchangeable with the BCI-6 cartridges. However,
the BCI-3 Black is a pigmented ink while the BCI-6 Black is a Photo Black
which is dye based and, therefore, cannot be interchanged.

Bill wrote:
> FRED wrote:
>
>> Does anyone know if I can use ink for a BCI-3 color cartridge in a
>> BCI-6 color cartridge, I don't want to have to waste the ink when I
>> change printers
>
> Yes, the 3 & 6 series inks are essentially the same.

From i've learned recently (in this group), BCI3 is somewhat less intensive
color, so when putting it in, you'll see a small difference in color
intensity when printing photos.

In article SleeperMan says...
> > Yes, the 3 & 6 series inks are essentially the same.
>
> From i've learned recently (in this group), BCI3 is somewhat less intensive
> color, so when putting it in, you'll see a small difference in color
> intensity when printing photos.

The claim should have been "the 3e & 6 series inks are the same". There
is a difference between 3 and 3e.

colinco wrote:
> In article SleeperMan says...
>>> Yes, the 3 & 6 series inks are essentially the same.
>>
>> From i've learned recently (in this group), BCI3 is somewhat less
>> intensive color, so when putting it in, you'll see a small
>> difference in color intensity when printing photos.
>>

> The claim should have been "the 3e & 6 series inks are the same".
> There is a difference between 3 and 3e.

I did mean 3e...
But, if they are the same, why did they changed the number??
Surely not just for fun, after all, they still use black (wide one) for text
with 3e mark...?

bill

SleeperMan wrote:

>>> From i've learned recently (in this group), BCI3 is somewhat less
>>> intensive color, so when putting it in, you'll see a small
>>> difference in color intensity when printing photos.
>>>
>> The claim should have been "the 3e & 6 series inks are the same".
>> There is a difference between 3 and 3e.
>
>I did mean 3e...
>But, if they are the same, why did they changed the number??

It's a "numbers thing" for the different models. Canon used the 6 series
for the six dye-based colour printers, and the 3 series for the three
colour units. They have since dropped the scheme and I believe they just
use the same series in all of their new printers.

In article coinman1 says...
> However,
> the BCI-3 Black is a pigmented ink while the BCI-6 Black is a Photo Black
> which is dye based and, therefore, cannot be interchanged.

Also the BCI-3eBK cartridge is wider.

Bill wrote:

>>> The claim should have been "the 3e & 6 series inks are the same".
>>> There is a difference between 3 and 3e.
>>
>> I did mean 3e...
>> But, if they are the same, why did they changed the number??
>
> It's a "numbers thing" for the different models. Canon used the 6
> series for the six dye-based colour printers, and the 3 series for
> the three colour units. They have since dropped the scheme and I
> believe they just use the same series in all of their new printers.

True...in new models, 3e series are no longer used...only 6 ones.
But still...why did they keep number 3e for text black? It could be 6p for
pigment, or 6p for photo...

"SleeperMan" <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote in message
> Bill wrote:

>>> I did mean 3e...
>>> But, if they are the same, why did they changed the number??
>>
>> It's a "numbers thing" for the different models. Canon used the 6
>> series for the six dye-based colour printers, and the 3 series for
>> the three colour units. They have since dropped the scheme and I
>> believe they just use the same series in all of their new printers.
>
> True...in new models, 3e series are no longer used...only 6 ones.
> But still...why did they keep number 3e for text black? It could be 6p for
> pigment, or 6p for photo...
Because it is NOT just a numbering thing. There is actually a *slight*
difference in the formula between the two (3 vs 6).
In the case of the color tanks the 6 is slightly more dense, for the black 6
is dye and 3 is pigment.

PC Medic wrote:
> "SleeperMan" <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote in message
>> Bill wrote:

>>> It's a "numbers thing" for the different models. Canon used the 6
>>> series for the six dye-based colour printers, and the 3 series for
>>> the three colour units. They have since dropped the scheme and I
>>> believe they just use the same series in all of their new printers.
>>
>> True...in new models, 3e series are no longer used...only 6 ones.
>> But still...why did they keep number 3e for text black? It could be
>> 6p for pigment, or 6p for photo...
> Because it is NOT just a numbering thing. There is actually a *slight*
> difference in the formula between the two (3 vs 6).
> In the case of the color tanks the 6 is slightly more dense, for the
> black 6 is dye and 3 is pigment.

So, i assumed right...

In article PC Medic says...
> True...in new models, 3e series are no longer used...only 6 ones.
> > But still...why did they keep number 3e for text black? It could be 6p for
> > pigment, or 6p for photo...
> Because it is NOT just a numbering thing. There is actually a *slight*
> difference in the formula between the two (3 vs 6).
> In the case of the color tanks the 6 is slightly more dense, for the black 6
> is dye and 3 is pigment.

To avoid confusion plse stick to 3,3e or 6 as 3 and 3e are not the same.
There was a 3rd party supplier (Weink) who justified using same ink in
3e and 6 by saying that their chromatograph tests show that Canon use
same ink in 3e and 6. Many people have interchanged BCI3e and BCI6 in
i560s and i850s with no changes in output.

"colinco" <colincomma@yawhoo.com> wrote in message
> In article PC Medic says...
>> True...in new models, 3e series are no longer used...only 6 ones.
>> > But still...why did they keep number 3e for text black? It could be 6p
>> > for
>> > pigment, or 6p for photo...
>> Because it is NOT just a numbering thing. There is actually a *slight*
>> difference in the formula between the two (3 vs 6).
>> In the case of the color tanks the 6 is slightly more dense, for the
>> black 6
>> is dye and 3 is pigment.
>>

> To avoid confusion plse stick to 3,3e or 6 as 3 and 3e are not the same.
> There was a 3rd party supplier (Weink) who justified using same ink in
> 3e and 6 by saying that their chromatograph tests show that Canon use
> same ink in 3e and 6. Many people have interchanged BCI3e and BCI6 in
> i560s and i850s with no changes in output.

3 , 3e and 6 inks are all different from one another and Canon does NOT use
same ink in 3e and 6 tanks.
This would be obvious to anyone in the know.

In article PC Medic says...
> 3 , 3e and 6 inks are all different from one another and Canon does NOT use
> same ink in 3e and 6 tanks.
> This would be obvious to anyone in the know.

Epson used to have different carts for Color 600 and 640 now they have a
universal cart. If Canon do have different ink in BCI3e CMY to BCI6 CMY
(And I'm yet to be convinced) I expect that sooner or later BCI6 will be
all that is supplied. I am not referring to the blacks.

> In article PC Medic says...
>> 3 , 3e and 6 inks are all different from one another and Canon does NOT
>> use
>> same ink in 3e and 6 tanks.
>> This would be obvious to anyone in the know.
>>
> Epson used to have different carts for Color 600 and 640 now they have a
> universal cart. If Canon do have different ink in BCI3e CMY to BCI6 CMY
> (And I'm yet to be convinced) I expect that sooner or later BCI6 will be
> all that is supplied. I am not referring to the blacks.

While the introduction of new units with the 3e's has probably ended (with
the exception of Bk), I doubt the 6e's will be all you see as there are
different platform (price-point) printers. I also suspect advancements will
be made in ink formulation at some point leading to maybe even a replacement
to 6's one day.

In article PC Medic says...
> While the introduction of new units with the 3e's has probably ended (with
> the exception of Bk), I doubt the 6e's will be all you see as there are
> different platform (price-point) printers. I also suspect advancements will
> be made in ink formulation at some point leading to maybe even a replacement
> to 6's one day.

BCI-7 has already been introduced on the Japanese market. My point is
whether Canon will continue expanding their ink range or consolidate.

> In article PC Medic says...
>> While the introduction of new units with the 3e's has probably ended
>> (with
>> the exception of Bk), I doubt the 6e's will be all you see as there are
>> different platform (price-point) printers. I also suspect advancements
>> will
>> be made in ink formulation at some point leading to maybe even a
>> replacement
>> to 6's one day.
>>
> BCI-7 has already been introduced on the Japanese market. My point is
> whether Canon will continue expanding their ink range or consolidate.

If they could they would but the truth is that contrary to the claims made
by some 3rd party ink manufactures, there is no 'one ink fits all solution.
Different printhead technologies some times warrant different formulas.