New Budget Upgrades? Whats the best gear

Nevrlast16

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2005
Im looking to upgrade my current PC by purchasing a new MoBo, Processor, Graphics card(s), and memory. I im hoping to stay in the 500-600 range as I am on a bit of a budget but want to get the best, most stable gear i can for the price. The PC will be used mostly for gaming.
I want to get a 64 bit PC and im a big AMD fan. With the research i have done so far it seems that the gear i should go with is:
1) DFI LanParty MoBo with nF4 SLI chipset? not sure which version of thie MoBo to go for
2) 6600GT Video Cards 2x- which brand is the best?
3) AMD 3500+ Venic Core CPU
4) Corsair Value Memory Dual Channel 512 set=1Gb Mem
To Be reused-
1) LG DVD RW/Rom
2) Antec 450 Watt PSU w/ Extra Fan and Controls
3) 80 GB WD + 180 GB Maxtor + 250 GB IOmega External HDs
4) Stick of current 512 Mem? not sure what kind it is

In some of the articles i have read the DFI boards did not support the Value memory very well and since i am on a bit of a budget im not sure i can buy the expensive mem that is out now
Also, ive heard some DFI users say they would have spent the extra 40 bucks or so to get the ASUS NF4 SLI board, I have a comp with an ASUS board and i love it but again im on a budget. Any advice, tips, or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. I may have left something out if so point it out and ill post anything else you need to know.

Nevrlast16

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2005
Fromt he things ive read it seems that to be able to keep this computer up to date for the future i should go SLI since it seems to be the new thing coming into play so i think i would like to go with that.
if i go for a 7800GT and buy just 1 i have heard that problems can be encountered if ur new card isnt the same version/revision etc. as ur old card, is that not a problem anymore because it may be several months before i would be able to buy a second card. if that isnt a problem that does sound like the way to go. thanks for your opinions

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
Know what happenned to a lot of people who thought about going SLI like you are doing now? They didnt' because within a year nVidia came out with a new card that was faster than 2 of the older cards in SLI mode - for the same price as the old card. Unless you have no limit to your budget, get a non-SLI board and a single higher end card and you will both save money and have better performance. Then in several more months when you have the money to buy the 2nd card and go SLI, nVidia will have the 8800GT out (or whatever they're naming the next generation) that is faster than 2 7800's in SLI and costs as much as a single one did. That's what happenned to the 6800's - the 7800's came out for about the same price.

A single 6800GT or GS will be faster gaming than 2 6600GTs and will cost less. Its your money, but my suggestion will give you more performance today for less, and if you really must go SLI, you can do it later.

Mike.

Mills

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2005
I agree with fishman. I'd skip the SLI and get a better video card.

Also, with a processor... you are going to want to go with either a 3200+ or the 3700+. The 3500+ is simply a higher clocked 3200+... which you could do yourself and save some money there.

I decided to throw in a bit more money and take an actual step up to the 3700+ which has a L2.