GA-8IPPDR (SR-125) - Can't get PCI VGA to see boot process

internetgardener

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2005
Hi Everyone,

Need some help. We just got a rackmount unit (SR-125) (Dual Xeon) - I know it is old but it is a lot better then what we had. We originally installed XP PRO on it without a problem using the on board VGA. Now, we got a Matrox G550 PCI VGA in the box.

The Matrox card installed without a problem and works great. The only problem we have is that we can't see any of the boot up process (RAM Check, SCSI check etc etc) using the Matrox Card. ie. the card only becomes 'active' once windows starts to boot.

So here is my questions: Can I disable the onboard VGA to be able to get the Matrox card to be the primary VGA so that we can see the boot process ie. before windows starts?

Things I have tried:
1) Check out the BIOS - doesn't seem to be anything in there to turn off the onboard VGA
2) Disabled and removed the drivers from Windows (for the onboard VGA) - again, no luck to see the boot up process.

I have also scoured the net for a manual for this mother board (including GA sites) but there is nothing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
IG

internetgardener

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2005
OK - I found the manual. The GS-SR125 is the same as the GS-SR125E. To turn off the primary VGA you need to disable JP8 which is located right next to the power supply.

All the best!

IG