Anyone own an XFX 6600GT AGP 256mb card?

badassjedi

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2003
Specifically the PV-T43A-UD, here is the link..

http://www.xfxforce.com/web/product/listConfigurationDetails.jspa?productConfigurationId=9215

It's a 256Mb AGP 6600 GT card. I've decided it's the best deal in terms of my budget, but I have only read reviews of the 128mb AGP version, which leaves me wondering about the performance of the 256mb flavor. Does anyone know if it performs equally well as the 128mb one?

I am satisfied with XFX as I've used their GeForce Ti4200 for years now and it's a stellar card. I'm running an Athlon 2400+ with 512mb of memory. I use old PC2700 RAM (though it's Corsair XMS) and was wondering how the video card memory and the system memory effect one another; since the 6600 GT uses DDR3 memory will this cause a discrepancy with my older PC2700 system memory? I would appreciate if anyone could clear this up for me.

Thanks,

badassjedi

Xatso

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
and was wondering how the video card memory and the system memory effect one another; since the 6600 GT uses DDR3 memory will this cause a discrepancy with my older PC2700 system memory? I would appreciate if anyone could clear this up for me.

The onboard VGA DDR3 is only used to load texture memory in 3D games or in other words used by D3D ot OpenGL.

I may be wrong but AGP writes directly to the CPU so it bypasses your system memory completely - the only issue may be that the graphics card may wait for the slower system to catch up.

Xatso