Panoramas with Epson 2100 inject printer

Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

I bought Epson 2100 to print panoramas.
Driver says that max length for this printer is 32767 mm but I can’t
print longer than 11700mm.
The guy from Epson technical support confirmed by email that max is
11700mm but I am not sure that he is right.
Why than printing preferences box shows max 32767mm?

Regards,

Chris

www.booba.netfirms.com

In article <4179C48B.BCF9CBD4@hotmail.com>,
"chrisosostow(spam)"@hotmail.com (chris) wrote:

> I bought Epson 2100 to print panoramas.
> Driver says that max length for this printer is 32767 mm but I can’t
> print longer than 11700mm.
> The guy from Epson technical support confirmed by email that max is
> 11700mm but I am not sure that he is right.
> Why than printing preferences box shows max 32767mm?

The length value is probably stored in a short integer data type, which is
two bytes, or 16 bits long. Allowing one byte for the sign (plus or minus)
that leaves 15 bits. The largest value that can be stored in 15 bits is
32767.

As to why the driver allows the full value of the short integer to be
entered in the length field, instead of the longest permissible print
length, can only be down to sloppy programming.

Jon.

Something doesn't seem correct here. 32767mm is almost 32 metres long.
Even 11700mm almost 12 metres. I somehow doubt that's correct or that
you'd have any need for a panorama of that length.

The web site indicates the maximum printable area is 329mm x 483mm,
which seems small. For a moment, let's assume you have a decimal point
error and the real size is 3.2 metres (that's 10.5 feet) versus 1.2
metres (or 4 feet).

I do know that Photoshop had a bug in it that restricted the maximum
printing size of an image (it restricted the total file size). I think
they have recently fix this.

Anyway, I would recheck that package, because the numbers you are
presenting don't seem to make sense.

Art

chris wrote:

> I bought Epson 2100 to print panoramas.
> Driver says that max length for this printer is 32767 mm but I can’t
> print longer than 11700mm.
> The guy from Epson technical support confirmed by email that max is
> 11700mm but I am not sure that he is right.
> Why than printing preferences box shows max 32767mm?
>
> Regards,
>
> Chris
>
> www.booba.netfirms.com

On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 02:37:54 GMT, in comp.periphs.printers chris
<"chrisosostow(spam)"@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I bought Epson 2100 to print panoramas.
>Driver says that max length for this printer is 32767 mm but I can’t
>print longer than 11700mm.
>The guy from Epson technical support confirmed by email that max is
>11700mm but I am not sure that he is right.
>Why than printing preferences box shows max 32767mm?

Are you printing from Photoshop? There have been threads before similar to
this with respect to the 890/1280/1290. For my 1270 I'm able to print User
Defined page sizes to 129" using Qimage. IIRC, the issue was found to be
printing from PS.
http://EdwardGRuf.com

"chris" <"chrisosostow(spam)"@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I bought Epson 2100 to print panoramas.
> Driver says that max length for this printer is 32767 mm but I can't
> print longer than 11700mm.
> The guy from Epson technical support confirmed by email that max is
> 11700mm but I am not sure that he is right.
> Why than printing preferences box shows max 32767mm?

Lots of references on the web to the 2200 model having a 44" limit.

This has been discussed here before but I can't recall the outcome.

chris <"chrisosostow(spam)"@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<4179C48B.BCF9CBD4@hotmail.com>...
> I bought Epson 2100 to print panoramas.
> Driver says that max length for this printer is 32767 mm but I can?t
> print longer than 11700mm.
> The guy from Epson technical support confirmed by email that max is
> 11700mm but I am not sure that he is right.
> Why than printing preferences box shows max 32767mm?
>
> Regards,
>
> Chris
>
> www.booba.netfirms.com

You can try to overcome this limit by using Qimage. Qimage has an
option to do some kind of poster printing, i.e. you can split the job
in two or more parts.
You can set up Qimage not to send a formfeed.
I read about this at
http://www.outbackphoto.com/printinginsights/pi028/essay.html#pano

Winfried