asus p55t2p4 rev.3.10 at FSB 88mhz

rapierdragon

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2005
I have a rev.3.10 of the ASUS p55t2p4. I know how to set the FSB at 66, 75, 83, and 102 mhz (I know they don't boot at 102mhz).

Currently it's running at 500mhz.

I however have a k6-2 533mhz cpu.

Is there any way to set my mobo to have an FSB of 88mhz? Is it something simple like adjusting jumpers or does it require something more complex like editing the bios or replacing/rewelding a clock chip?

Matt Shokoff
matsho@sympatico.ca

JoshuaH

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2005
Wow thats an old CPU, I used to have one of those and if I remember correcly all you need to do is adjust your jumpers but make sure you look in your mobo manual first.

rapierdragon

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2005
Actually, I got the overclocking info from the brains here at Tom's Hardware (a few-years-old article entitled "Oldie Tuning; Asus p55t2p4" or something to that sort).

It just struck me as odd. FSB's at 50, 55, 60, 66, 75, 83, and then wham, 102. I mean if you look at the increments between FSB's, its
5-4-6-9-7-20, so you would think there would be one more FSB setting between 83 and 102. I know some boards have that "turbo" option (88mhz FSB I think I saw listed on an ABIT board overclocking review for a somewhat similar socket-7 board).

As for being stable, I've got two problems (both somewhat under control). Number 1 is probably a direct result of number 2.

(1) rather odd memory-based crashes in windows (after POST, usualy while win98 is loading drivers). I have to set bios to run my 60ns simms with the 70ns presets. Whether this is due to not having the exact-right bios or instability in the board I have yet to figure out (see item "2" right below).

(2) The bios refused to flash update, so I had to take the chip out of my older p55t2p4s board (the "s" on the end meaning it also has a built-in scsi plug). The "s" board is a rev1.1 so its max 400mhz since its max fsb of 66. The only other difference is that the "s" board has 6 simm slots instead of the normal 4.
The t2p4 accepts the bios chip from my t2p4s, but the t2p4 board refuses to allow its bios chip to be flash-updated with any bios made for from the t2p4 or t2p4s. I've tried setting the bios-write junper to enable, disable, even with it right off. The moment the awdflash.exe program tries to load a bios file the system reboots.
I have posted this elsewhere here yesterday. Either I'll need to try setting a lower FSB to see if that's what's causing the board to reboot instead of flash-updating, or its a physical flaw in the board itself which is preventing the flash-update.
My older t2p4s does flash-update, but only if I use a t2p4s bios. If I put in any t2p4 bios-file the flash program stalls, leaving me to think that the bios isn't cross-compatible both ways (probably due to the difference in the number of simm slots or the presense of the scsi port).

matsho@sympatico.ca