How to remove program reference from registry?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.registry (More info?)

Had a computer with the harddrive partitioned a few to many times, so I
eliminated a few. Had a program installed on one of theses partitions that I
didn't bother to uninstall before this reformatting. Now, when I try and
re-install it, I get an error which reads something like - "Cannot continue
with this installation-drive G: not found".
I'm assuming that there is still a reference to this program in the registry
causing this.
(Oh, yeah - after I re-partitioned, I updated to XP Professional)

What do I need to remove with the registry editor - what is is safe to
delete there?
Or am I looking in the wrong place?

--

/ Sean the Mc /

"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."
- Thomas Alva Edison (1847-1931)
4 answers Last reply
More about remove program reference registry
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.registry (More info?)

    Ask the application developer.

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "What-a-Tool" wrote:
    | Had a computer with the harddrive partitioned a few to many times, so I
    | eliminated a few. Had a program installed on one of theses partitions that
    | didn't bother to uninstall before this reformatting. Now, when I try and
    | re-install it, I get an error which reads something like - "Cannot
    continue
    | with this installation-drive G: not found".
    | I'm assuming that there is still a reference to this program in the
    registry
    | causing this.
    | (Oh, yeah - after I re-partitioned, I updated to XP Professional)
    |
    | What do I need to remove with the registry editor - what is is safe to
    | delete there?
    | Or am I looking in the wrong place?
    |

    | --
    |
    | / Sean the Mc /
    |

    | "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."
    | - Thomas Alva Edison (1847-1931)

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.registry (More info?)

    The software in question is an older version of AutoCad.
    The company I work for acquired this software in the buyout of another
    company.
    When I approached my boss about contacting Autodesk, I was told it wasn't
    worth the trouble of trying to locate the licensing information. I have been
    assured that all licensing is legit, but since we carry an up to date
    license on SolidWorks, he sees no need to go thru the trouble to put this
    version of AutoCad on our computer.
    Myself and the other Toolmaker/Engineer in the company disagree, as we have
    our uses for it. We have full control of our own computers, and want to fix
    this problem on our own without going thru any more friggin company
    bureaucracy.

    I feel I could do this myself, but playing in the registry always makes me
    nervous, so I thought I would seek advice from people with a bit more
    knowledge than I have.

    Where would this installation info be in the registry, and is it safe to
    just delete it?

    --

    "Dave Patrick" <mail@NoSpam.DSPatrick.com> wrote in message
    > Ask the application developer.
    >
    > --
    > Regards,

    > Microsoft Certified Professional
    > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >

    > "What-a-Tool" wrote:
    > | Had a computer with the harddrive partitioned a few to many times, so I
    > | eliminated a few. Had a program installed on one of theses partitions
    that
    > | didn't bother to uninstall before this reformatting. Now, when I try and
    > | re-install it, I get an error which reads something like - "Cannot
    > continue
    > | with this installation-drive G: not found".
    > | I'm assuming that there is still a reference to this program in the
    > registry
    > | causing this.
    > | (Oh, yeah - after I re-partitioned, I updated to XP Professional)
    > |
    > | What do I need to remove with the registry editor - what is is safe to
    > | delete there?
    > | Or am I looking in the wrong place?
    > |

    > | --
    > |
    > | / Sean the Mc /
    > |

    > | "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."
    > | - Thomas Alva Edison (1847-1931)

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.registry (More info?)

    It is hard to do manually.
    Autodesk changed installation procedure, so it really depends on version you
    actually want to wipe.

    Backup registry and folders in question before any changes!

    look for keys under
    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Autodesk
    and
    HKCU\Software\Autodesk

    also check uninstall information both in folders and registry:

    Program Files\Unistall Information
    ProgramFiles\Installshield Instalation Information
    WinNT\Installer (in case of new version using MSI)

    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall
    (if it is using MSI, there will be folder like {5783FD7-...}, you need to
    check values under these subkeys to find which one is for Autocad).
    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\Folders

    "What-a-Tool" <Die!FrigginSpammersDieDie!@IHateSpam.Net> pí¹e v diskusním
    pøíspìvku news:8K9dc.300$192.4@lakeread06...
    > The software in question is an older version of AutoCad.
    > The company I work for acquired this software in the buyout of another
    > company.
    > When I approached my boss about contacting Autodesk, I was told it wasn't
    > worth the trouble of trying to locate the licensing information. I have
    been
    > assured that all licensing is legit, but since we carry an up to date
    > license on SolidWorks, he sees no need to go thru the trouble to put this
    > version of AutoCad on our computer.
    > Myself and the other Toolmaker/Engineer in the company disagree, as we
    have
    > our uses for it. We have full control of our own computers, and want to
    fix
    > this problem on our own without going thru any more friggin company
    > bureaucracy.
    >
    > I feel I could do this myself, but playing in the registry always makes
    me
    > nervous, so I thought I would seek advice from people with a bit more
    > knowledge than I have.
    >
    > Where would this installation info be in the registry, and is it safe to
    > just delete it?
    >
    > --
    >
    > / Sean the Mc /
    >

    > "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."
    > - Thomas Alva Edison (1847-1931)
    >
    > "Dave Patrick" <mail@NoSpam.DSPatrick.com> wrote in message
    > > Ask the application developer.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Regards,
    > >
    > > Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
    > > Microsoft Certified Professional
    > > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    > > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    > >

    > > "What-a-Tool" wrote:
    > > | Had a computer with the harddrive partitioned a few to many times, so
    > > | eliminated a few. Had a program installed on one of theses partitions
    > that
    > > | didn't bother to uninstall before this reformatting. Now, when I try
    and
    > > | re-install it, I get an error which reads something like - "Cannot
    > > continue
    > > | with this installation-drive G: not found".
    > > | I'm assuming that there is still a reference to this program in the
    > > registry
    > > | causing this.
    > > | (Oh, yeah - after I re-partitioned, I updated to XP Professional)
    > > |
    > > | What do I need to remove with the registry editor - what is is safe to
    > > | delete there?
    > > | Or am I looking in the wrong place?
    > > |

    > > | --
    > > |
    > > | / Sean the Mc /
    > > |

    > > | "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."
    > > | - Thomas Alva Edison (1847-1931)

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.registry (More info?)

    Someone in another group suggested Windows Installer CleanUp Utility :
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;290301

    Tried it and got rid of the AutoCad reference - still came up with "Cannot
    continue
    with this installation-drive G: not found".

    Went into the registry and did a search for "g:\Autocad" in
    HKEY_LocalMachine.
    Changed all these references to "c:\AutoCad". (Took a little while!)
    Went ahead with the Installation and it took it! Everything works fine now!.

    Even though I didn't find my answer here, thanks for taking the time to
    reply.

    --

    "What-a-Tool" <Die!FrigginSpammersDieDie!@IHateSpam.Net> wrote in message
    > Had a computer with the harddrive partitioned a few to many times, so I
    > eliminated a few. Had a program installed on one of theses partitions that
    > didn't bother to uninstall before this reformatting. Now, when I try and
    > re-install it, I get an error which reads something like - "Cannot
    continue
    > with this installation-drive G: not found".
    > I'm assuming that there is still a reference to this program in the
    registry
    > causing this.
    > (Oh, yeah - after I re-partitioned, I updated to XP Professional)
    >
    > What do I need to remove with the registry editor - what is is safe to
    > delete there?
    > Or am I looking in the wrong place?
    >

    > --
    >
    > / Sean the Mc /
    >

    > "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."
    > - Thomas Alva Edison (1847-1931)

Registry Windows