Danger!! Temperature freaks invading forum!!

pat

Expert
OK..

anything under 55 is OK.. around 60 start to worry, but if it is stable, probably a bad reading

If it crash, don't ask ! Give it air. Open case, check if fan is running.. Have airflow thru the case.

remember, HDD, video card, motherboard do have heat too.. that they put inside the case.

Normal body heat for human..:37 degrees

If you CPU idle at 29, don't worry and get a life.

That I hope will help to clear some worries..

If you have some, then post. But please, post your specs... And your temps too.

If you tell me your CPU is overheating, but no specs or anything, then I'll tell you what you want to hear.. or is it??

[/overheating]

RichPLS

Champion
For me, I don't start paying attention till it hits 70C.
Throttling won't start with Prescotts till you hit 80C.
So I doubt any harm will occur if you stay under 80C, and keeping it under 70C isn't to hard.

RichPLS

Champion
I was using Motherboard Manager 5, but you can also use an external temp probe if you need accuracy to within a degree, since bios can be off a degree or so, but that correction should be consitant.

pat

Expert
I don't know if at 83 degrees, using your finger is a good idea..?

Since my CPU don't go that high, would you try it for me??? :twisted:

You should know that water boil at 100 degrees Celcius...

kool_moo

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2005
I'll still be in college by then, and will have racked up 8 years of tuition debt, rofl. Last thing I'd be spending on is a CPU upgrade, but maybe things will turn out for the better. :D

ltcommander_data

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2004
If you have 8 years of tuition spending less than $1000 to replace your ten year old computer will hardly be catastrophic. Besides the improvement, whether in productivity or simply just usability, you get in a system after 10 years will well well worth the cost.

CPUs are designed to handle a temperature range without premature failure. Temperatures of an air cooled system under load around 40 or 50 degrees are completely within spec. I got the impression from one post that the person was expecting operating temperatures of 30 degrees. While watching the computer idling is nice, I tend to want to do something with it. Even if you are overly concerned, you don't need to fret until levels reach well into the 60s, and thats only if its there for prolonged periods.

Here are some guideline temperatures. Permanent damage won't occur until you are well past these points.

http://www.pantherproducts.co.uk/Articles/CPU/CPU Temperatures.shtml

pat

Expert
While watching the computer idling is nice, I tend to want to do something with it.

I'm pretty sure that 90% of those who buy expensive computer only do 2 things...

run benchmark..
check temp..

Or rather 3 ...
Post about temp or benchmark in forum...

kool_moo

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2005
Yes. I'd have to say for the first week or so that's all we do. :D But don't forget that we spent all that money so we could play the latest games at full quality and get like a gazillion FPS while doing so. And since that is our ultimate goal, we'd like to make sure that the money we spent doesn't just BURN. Also, I believe most of the posters are first time n00b builders who want to make sure they haven't messed the hell up. Thank you.

pat

Expert
It's my fifth year here at TGforumz, and I can tell you that I've seen thing done by noob that you cannot imagine.

Often, noob come here all excited and hyperactive about posting their first post.. and most of the time, they screw up.. And, as I do for everyone that screwup (ask rugger) I make fun of them.. because I know someone will make fun of me if I screw up..

DesertGator

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2005
Newbie here. I have a question re: SpeedFan. I've already got a new board and chip coming anyway (AsusA8V and AMD64X2 3800+), but I can't stand a problem I cannot solve.

I know my mobo is going bad on me (suspect latent northbridge failures) since the system will restart when putting any kind of load on it. I d/l'd speedfan after lurking here, and when I did, my temp readings are as follows.

Temp1: 59 <-- I know this is my system temp from Giga-byte's EasyTune
Temp2: 53 <-- I know this is my CPU temp from Giga-byte's EasyTune
Temp3: 82(!) <-- What is this temp pulling from? I know it isn't the 2 HDs since they're separate temp listings (about 33C)

AMD XP 2400+ Thoroughbred
Giga-byte 7vrxp (1.1 rev)
1GB GeiL PC2700DDR
Radeon 9800 PRO

Thanks in advance all!!

endyen

Splendid
The only time I saw a system temp of 59c, the guy had it set up on his heat register. The legs crumbled!!
Try opening the side panel, and see what happens.
You are probably getting one system temp, one from below the cpu, and one inside the chip. I think you have a calabration problem.

DesertGator

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2005
The only time I saw a system temp of 59c, the guy had it set up on his heat register. The legs crumbled!!
Try opening the side panel, and see what happens.
You are probably getting one system temp, one from below the cpu, and one inside the chip. I think you have a calabration problem.

It made some difference.. not a lot though

System: 54
CPU: 47
Temp3: 81 <-- Still don't know what this one is ..

The other thing I'm noticing though is that my negative voltages are WAY off.. -12V reads a mean of -4 and -5V reads a mean of -2.. And this is a brand new PS as well..

EDIT: I just d/l'd MBM5 and compared it .. I'm showing a systemp of 54, a CPU temp of 47, and a temp3 of 0 meaning the 81 is probably a miscal as you said ..

In addition, the negative voltages are still WAY off .. -12 shows a mean of -9.1V and the -5 shows (0.0V) either a dead short or no reading..

DesertGator

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2005
Well, just installed the new mobo and CPU .. It was obviously something on the board as I said ..

Asus A8V and 3800+ X2 installed ..

New Temps:
26C <-- System
38C <-- CPU

I have no problem with those ...

parlee

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2005
quick question... will a comp automatically turn off BEFORE overheating actually does damage to your comp? or is this a setting in bios or somewhere u must set manually? (chaintech vnf3 socket 754)

pat

Expert
buy my house and come play in the snow.. you'Ll cool down, believe me...

On one condition, you let me bring my skates for a game of pond hockey .. :lol:

In front of my house, there is a pond.. big enough for amphibian airplane to land and take off..

We play hockey on it sometime.. we put one goal at each ends.. Usually, no one is able to skate from one goal to the other.. there is 10 benches for the teams to sit, and each teams has 5 lines of players on each benches.. there is a restaurant at the red line and toilet at blue line.. referees dont use whristle..they use pager.. or cell phone to call the play..

Snowbiles are at each end, to bring players at the middle after a goal has been scored... periods has been adjusted to 2, called AM and PM.. evening is for even matches..