Home Network File And Printer Access

Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b F Wireless
September 8, 2005 12:22:02 AM

Here's the problem

Home network set up with WinXp system hard wired to a linksys WRT54G
wireless router which is wired to a Motorola Cable modem. Router is set
up with SSID name of WNET. WinXP set up with home network named WNET.

Second client computer setup with wireless WMP54G NIC. Has home network
setup and acknowledged as WESTNET. Wireless network find WNET and
connects.

From host computer, I can see and access C drive of client computer.
From client computer, I can see host computer, ping host computer and ping
router. Can access internet from client.

CANNOT access host hard drive or printer.

Host computer has firewall turned off, through Group Policy security.
Yes it is WINXP Home edition. Client computer has firewall turned off
manually.

Have file and print sharing turned on. Have router set with wireless
security disabled.

Why can I not access host computer and printer from Client??

Thanks
--mlw
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
September 8, 2005 1:06:12 AM

Hi!

You have the link-layer working but the application layer is not working.

Make sure that on all the computers that you have at least the following
components:

* Client for Microsoft Networks
* File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks

You already have the Internet Protocol working.

Make sure you log in to the computer as a local user. This is important when
you deal with a computer that moves between home and work.

Try to find the host computer using My Network Places. Click on Ëntire
Network", then click on "Microsoft Windows Network" which encompasses all SMB
hosts like your host computer. Click on the workgroup name for your home
network. Then you should see your host computer. Then, click on the host
computer so you can see its shared directories and shared printers.

Hope this works,

With regards,

Simon Mackay

Simon_Mackayatbigpond.com
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
September 8, 2005 9:34:03 PM

Thanks Simaon

Both the client for Microsoft Windows and file and print sharing are
installed and working properly.

I can see the work group and the host computer and the client computer. The
C drive on the host computer is configured as a Shared Drive. WHen I click on
the host computer in the workgroup, from the client computer, it says that
access is denied see your network admin.

The printer is not visible. Printer is configured from host as a shared
printer with name of Office. Note: Printer previously worked from client.
It was named //office/lexmark. When I could not access it, I deleted it from
the host, reinstalled it with a new shared name (//office/office). The old
name, //office/lexmark, is visible but when I try to install it says that it
is not on or operational. The new installation, //office/office, is not
visible to select.

The client computer is set up with a Shared C drive and shared multi-user
document folders. They are all visible and accessible fromt the client.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
--mlw

"SimonMackay" wrote:

> Hi!
>
> You have the link-layer working but the application layer is not working.
>
> Make sure that on all the computers that you have at least the following
> components:
>
> * Client for Microsoft Networks
> * File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks
>
> You already have the Internet Protocol working.
>
> Make sure you log in to the computer as a local user. This is important when
> you deal with a computer that moves between home and work.
>
> Try to find the host computer using My Network Places. Click on Ëntire
> Network", then click on "Microsoft Windows Network" which encompasses all SMB
> hosts like your host computer. Click on the workgroup name for your home
> network. Then you should see your host computer. Then, click on the host
> computer so you can see its shared directories and shared printers.
>
> Hope this works,
>
> With regards,
>
> Simon Mackay
>
> Simon_Mackayatbigpond.com

a b F Wireless
September 8, 2005 10:33:14 PM

Go to the Host computer and check the share permissions and also
security permissions for the client computer accounts. Also do you have
any firewalls setup on the Host machine (Client Security)? Im a little
confused, is the probel with accessing resources from the HOST Computer
Only? I would also recommend choosing another name for the PCs like PC1
and PC2. Let me know.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
September 8, 2005 11:50:04 PM

Thanks

The Host computer is setup with the C drive and printer as shared systems.
The firewall on the client machine is manually set to off. THe firewall on
the host computer is set to off via Group policy. This is another question
that I have. What is the Group policy that controls this firewall setting.
As I listed in the first post, I am running WINXP Home Edition.

THe problem is accessing the printer or Host computer files from the Client.

Thanks
--mlw

!