remote editing of HKCU under Windows NT 4.0

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.registry (More info?)

Is there any way to edit the HKCU of the user logged in on a computer
from another computer. I keep getting error opening key with regedit.
Is this basicly what the remote registry service does? Can remote
registry be gotten for Windows NT 4.0?

Thanks
4 answers Last reply
More about remote editing hkcu windows
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.registry (More info?)

    Hi Johnny,

    quite possibly, your 'error openning key' message will be caused by the key
    having security permissions set which exceed your current privledge level. Do
    you have Administrator privledges - if not, log in as administrator and try again.

    If you are using regedit.exe (the supplied 16 bit registry editor) you can also
    encounter the situation when they key you are dealing with has it security
    permissions set to (for example) to 'read only' - so it cannot be altered.

    Run regedt32.exe (the 32 bit registry editor) and navigate to the key concerned.
    Then from the top menu bar of regedt32 go to Security>permissions and check how
    the key has been controlled. You may need to change the permissions in order to
    be able to modify or delete the key.

    Calvin.
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.registry (More info?)

    Calvin <nospam@spamcop.net> wrote in message news:<408ee0a4$1@duster.adelaide.on.net>...
    > Hi Johnny,
    >
    > quite possibly, your 'error openning key' message will be caused by the key
    > having security permissions set which exceed your current privledge level. Do
    > you have Administrator privledges - if not, log in as administrator and try again.
    >
    > If you are using regedit.exe (the supplied 16 bit registry editor) you can also
    > encounter the situation when they key you are dealing with has it security
    > permissions set to (for example) to 'read only' - so it cannot be altered.
    >
    > Run regedt32.exe (the 32 bit registry editor) and navigate to the key concerned.
    > Then from the top menu bar of regedt32 go to Security>permissions and check how
    > the key has been controlled. You may need to change the permissions in order to
    > be able to modify or delete the key.
    >
    > Calvin.

    I should have enough rights. I am a member of a domain group that is
    in the local administrators group. Also, this key has full control
    for administrators.
    When I try to use regedt32 to connect remotely it will not even
    connect the HKCU hive. To be precise I am trying to look in
    HKCU\Software path. I am looking for the setting of a certain peice
    of software under the user currently logged into the 'console'.
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.registry (More info?)

    Remotely you can get access only HKLM and HKU trees. There is not remote
    access to links or dynamic trees. NTUSER.DAT content of logged-in console
    user is, however, accessible via HKU tree.

    In domain environment it is also possible to screw some of your admin rights
    either by direct settings in user manager or by domain security policies.
    This is useful on big networks with team of administrators to sort admin
    rights to specific tasks only. Only membership in local admin group is not
    enough.

    What versions of operating system are on your computer and on target
    computer?

    Sometimes I experienced problems with remote editing if I am not logged in
    to target computer first. Try to access any share on this computer (like
    \\machinename\ADMIN$) before you start remote registry access.

    "Johnny" <firewolf2000@hotmail.com> píse v diskusním príspevku
    > Calvin <nospam@spamcop.net> wrote in message
    > > Hi Johnny,
    > >
    > > quite possibly, your 'error openning key' message will be caused by the
    key
    > > having security permissions set which exceed your current privledge
    level. Do
    > > you have Administrator privledges - if not, log in as administrator and
    try again.

    > > If you are using regedit.exe (the supplied 16 bit registry editor) you
    can also
    > > encounter the situation when they key you are dealing with has it
    security
    > > permissions set to (for example) to 'read only' - so it cannot be
    altered.

    > > Run regedt32.exe (the 32 bit registry editor) and navigate to the key
    concerned.
    > > Then from the top menu bar of regedt32 go to Security>permissions and
    check how
    > > the key has been controlled. You may need to change the permissions in
    order to
    > > be able to modify or delete the key.
    > >
    > > Calvin.
    >

    > I should have enough rights. I am a member of a domain group that is
    > in the local administrators group. Also, this key has full control
    > for administrators.
    > When I try to use regedt32 to connect remotely it will not even
    > connect the HKCU hive. To be precise I am trying to look in
    > HKCU\Software path. I am looking for the setting of a certain peice
    > of software under the user currently logged into the 'console'.
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.registry (More info?)

    NT 4.0 is most of the client environments. We will be moveing to
    win2k this year though.

Windows NT Microsoft Registry Windows