Connecting wires to motherboard: SPEAKER, PWR_SW, H.D.D. LED

Craig7850

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2005
Hi,

I recently installed my motherboard into the case and now I am trying to connect certain wires.

Wires such as Speaker, H.D.D. LED, PWR_SW, RESET_SW, etc.

What I'm wondering is - on the back of the ends of those wires ( they are ended with a black "case" to say ) there is a small triangle that is placed over a certain pin.

Lets say I'm trying to connect SPEAKER - on the back of that wire end - there's 4 pins right - Well, on the back the pin nearest to the left ( if you are viewing the back side ) has a small triangle on it.

When I look at the motherboard - there are pins labled SPEAKER - 4 pins just like the wire. On that set of 4 pins - the bottom pin has a black X.

Do I line up the triangle on the wire with the black X on the motherboard? I'm pretty sure I do - Since that signifies the correct way to connect the wire - to prevent me from connecting it backwards etc.

I just wanted to make sure by asking you guys,
Thanks,
-Craig

solomanii

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
When I look at the motherboard - there are pins labled SPEAKER - 4 pins just like the wire. On that set of 4 pins - the bottom pin has a black X.

Thats interesting I never noticed that. I just checked my pins and they do indeed have a triangle on them. I cant see the black X on the motherboard you are refering to though... I just go by the +/- signs. I assume the coloured wire are + the black/white wires are -.

phonicsmonkey

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2005
These wires are always a pain. Depending on the case you have, the wires might not always be positive and negative as indicated. Sometimes it's just trial and error to get them to work. You can't mess anything up by having them backwards though. Speaker, reset, and power switch generally work no matter which direction you put them. HD and power light have to be put in the right way to work.