USB Scanner hangs ; NIS conflict ?

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.scanners,microsoft.public.windowsnt.registry (More info?)

Hello,

I own a Athlon PC with VIA chipset under Windows2000Pro, and a Canon Lide50
scanner along with a USB ADSL modem.
Scanner is correctly installed (everything worked OK a few weeks ago) ;
scanner checkup returns OK (device manager/properties/test).
When I launch scanning, Scangear opens and starts scanning ; however the
progression bar stops around 20 to 30% and the computer hangs.
CPU used by the imaging software goes up to 99% and after a few minutes, the
system crashes (blue screen) with a core dump and a message involving
"SYMTDI.SYS" (this file belongs to Norton Internet Security)

The configuration used to work a few weeks ago, does not work anymore since
I move the PC and swapping around USB peripherals.
MSINFO shows no hardware conflict, except the regular IRQ21 shared across
USB root hubs.

I suspect that something with USB peripheral configuration is screwed up in
the registry, causing NIS to "believe" that the USB port where the scanner
is linked still carries a network card, and disturbs the communication on
this port, causing the TWAIN driver to hang.
The port on which my scanner site was probably used with the ADSL modem
before.
Indeed the registry shows several entries in the USB root for my Freebox
Network Adapter under :
> SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Enum\USB\Vid_10eb&Pid_0001
I cannot findout from the registry to which USB port those entries are
linked.

Did you ever run across this problem ?
Is there any way to confirm my hypothesis and/or to cleanup the registry
entries for USB configuration to restore to a fresh install state ?

Thanks in advance for any advice on this
--
Nicolas Zeches

NB: MSINFO USB configuration is attached
I have the following configuration
- Athlon XP2100+, Gigabyte 7VAXP (Via chipset)
- Windows2000Pro
- USB scanner Canoscan Lide50 with Arcsoft Photostudio 5.0.0.53 installed
- USB ADSL modem (Freebox)
- Norton Internet Security 2002
- Scangear 7.1.3, updated from Canon site
------------------------------------
[USB]

Périphérique ID du périphérique Plug-and-Play
Contrôleur d'hôte universel USB VIA
PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_3038&SUBSYS_50041458&REV_80\3&61AAA01&0&80
Concentrateur USB racine USB\ROOT_HUB\4&97234D6&1
Contrôleur d'hôte universel USB VIA
PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_3038&SUBSYS_50041458&REV_80\3&61AAA01&0&81
Concentrateur USB racine USB\ROOT_HUB\4&1C2BE57B&1
FreeBox USB Network Adapter #5 USB\VID_10EB&PID_0001\5&2A7F9DD&0&2
Contrôleur d'hôte universel USB VIA
PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_3038&SUBSYS_50041458&REV_80\3&61AAA01&0&82
Concentrateur USB racine USB\ROOT_HUB\4&2EE59620&1
VIA PCI to USB Enhanced Host Controller
PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_3104&SUBSYS_50041458&REV_82\3&61AAA01&0&83
USB 2.0 Root Hub USB\ROOT_HUB20\4&38DDCAFC&1

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.scanners,microsoft.public.windowsnt.registry (More info?)

"Nico" <nzeches_Beurk@LeSpam_free.fr> wrote in

> I suspect that something with USB peripheral configuration is screwed
> up in the registry, causing NIS to "believe" that the USB port where
> the scanner is linked still carries a network card, and disturbs the
> communication on this port, causing the TWAIN driver to hang.
> The port on which my scanner site was probably used with the ADSL
> modem before.

To verify your theory, you could disable or uninstall NIS, and see if the
scanner works then. I would be tempted to uninstall and re-install the
scanner / drivers as well, after uninstalling NIS. Then test.