I am Probably Stupid But....Tell Me How

dinger224

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2005
I have a SATA 160 GB Drive. I am Wanting to get one maybe even 3 Hard Drives so that I will have one for Storage, Programs, OS, and More Space. Lets Say I just get one more.
Do I just have Windows and Programs on one?
Or if i get 2 more.
How do put the programs on the 2nd HD.
Just Cut them from the existing drive?

Thank You in advance.

My System
Intel 640 3.2 GHz
2GB Ram
Windows XP Pro
ATI X800XL
SATA 160 GB HD

pscowboy

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2002
You're obviously not stupid, just a little inexperienced.

I'll have a go at your answer for programs on the 2nd drive. I'll make the assumption that you can get the second drive installed, AND to take care of the set up, recognition, partitioning, and formatting in Drive Management. I STRONGLY recommend you Slave this drive to your original (Master) on the Primary connection.

If you want to put all your programs on this new drive (which will become "D"), you must uninstall them ALL firstly off of "C". Then set up a Programs folder on "D" and reinstall each of them one at a time. Even though XP doesn't tell you to reboot after each, I WOULD. Most of the temp files will get deleted, and any Run Once keys will get played.

I'm not comfortable leaving one reboot to happen AFTER all the installs. The Registry is finicky enough without courting possible disaster. You're only talking half a minute to 45 seconds or so between each.

dinger224

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2005
Thats what I was afraid of, but just had to make sure I wasn't going to waste a few hours on that for nothing you know lol. Well Thank you for the helpful words. Have a good one

TRENDING THREADS