... stuttering problem solved (Short Story)

Last response: in Video Games
March 19, 2005 9:52:15 PM

Hi all,

maybe this is trivial but:

I ran into severe graphic problems after plugging in a new (actually old, 21'' Intergraph)
monitor into an until then flawlessly working flight sim. Discarded that
monitor, but graphics remained unusable.

Tried everything the last 2 weeks to solve the stuttering problem and otherwise
degraded graphics, installed and deinstalled zillions of drivers, in the end deleted the sim and
used an older backup, no luck, again deinstalled drivers, removing every bit of the old ones I found,
searched the registry for remaining pieces of old drivers, cleaned fs9.cfg of old [display.device]s,
nothing helped. Never completely reinstalled the sim, though.

When I was just about throwing the whole shebang out of the window, I thought, let´s
create an new flight - used the saved ones till then - but didn´t expect any improvements.

After that, fs9 looks and works geater then ever, running nailed at 24 fps, only when
approaching ScotFlight scenery, the frame rate drops dramatically to 10-14 fps , but this may be a
problem of fine tuning, surely won´t touch that the next few days!

I have no idea, why a new *.flt makes such a difference, cannot find any saved items systemwise
in it.

System is a 3.0 GHz P4, Radeon 9800 Pro derivative ('Aldi'/Medion-machine Nov. 2003) with
1 GB memory; latest Catalyst drivers (10.03.2005), all sliders max´d.

Thought I told you in exchange for the wealth of information I extracted from this NG
over the years, maybe someone runs into this kind of problem some day ...

:-) Andreas
March 19, 2005 11:49:23 PM

Andreas Tschoeke wrote:
> Hi all,
>

> When I was just about throwing the whole shebang out of the window, I thought, let´s
> create an new flight - used the saved ones till then - but didn´t expect any improvements.
>
> After that, fs9 looks and works geater then ever, running nailed at 24 fps, only when
> approaching ScotFlight scenery, the frame rate drops dramatically to 10-14 fps , but this may be a
> problem of fine tuning, surely won´t touch that the next few days!
>
> I have no idea, why a new *.flt makes such a difference, cannot find any saved items systemwise
> in it.

Do you mean you had been loading and flying previous saved flights and
when you created one from the opening screen, it helped the graphics
problem. That's something I'll have to remember. I wonder what caused it
and then what fixed it.

--

boB

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)
March 20, 2005 8:47:10 PM

Yes, that is exactly what I mean and I´m asking myself the same questions!

:-) Andreas