Change from a Domain to a Workgroup?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.registry (More info?)

Is there any way to change from a Domain to a Workgroup from within the
Registry? I'd like to automate this using a batch file on some of our NT
4.0 Boxes.

Thanks,
Mike
3 answers Last reply
More about change domain workgroup
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.registry (More info?)

    Before "automating" this you might want to be sure you have the Local admin
    account along with the local admin password for each computer.
    If you don't know it, log on using the domain admin account (before you
    remove it from the domain) and view/ reset the admin account login and reset
    the password for that account to something you know.

    There are TONS of posts where a user removes a computer from a domain only
    to find out the local admin account is different from the domain admin
    account and the PC has been on the network so long the local admin account
    is forgotten, now they can't log into the PC.

    hth
    DDS W 2k MVP MCSE

    "Mike M." <Nonya@Business.com> wrote in message
    > Is there any way to change from a Domain to a Workgroup from within the
    > Registry? I'd like to automate this using a batch file on some of our NT
    > 4.0 Boxes.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Mike

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.registry (More info?)

    Thanks for the reply and for the "heads-up". I can see how that could
    easily be overlooked.
    Fortunately, we do know the Local Administrator password and we are
    resetting it before we remove it from the domain and setting the membership
    to a workgroup instead of a domain. We are automatically removing the
    computer from the domain, but now we'd like to automatically change the
    computer's membership from the 'Domain' to the 'Workgroup' (in the
    networking properties) on the local computer itself.

    Any ideas?

    Thanks,
    Mike

    --
    MICHAEL MCGUIRE
    "Danny Sanders" <Danny.Sanders@cpcNOmedSPAM.org> wrote in message
    > Before "automating" this you might want to be sure you have the Local
    admin
    > account along with the local admin password for each computer.
    > If you don't know it, log on using the domain admin account (before you
    > remove it from the domain) and view/ reset the admin account login and
    reset
    > the password for that account to something you know.
    >
    > There are TONS of posts where a user removes a computer from a domain only
    > to find out the local admin account is different from the domain admin
    > account and the PC has been on the network so long the local admin account
    > is forgotten, now they can't log into the PC.
    >
    > hth
    > DDS W 2k MVP MCSE
    >
    > "Mike M." <Nonya@Business.com> wrote in message
    > > Is there any way to change from a Domain to a Workgroup from within the
    > > Registry? I'd like to automate this using a batch file on some of our
    NT
    > > 4.0 Boxes.
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > Mike

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.registry (More info?)

    > computer from the domain, but now we'd like to automatically change the
    > computer's membership from the 'Domain' to the 'Workgroup' (in the
    > networking properties) on the local computer itself.

    Maybe this will help:

    http://is-it-true.org/nt/nt2000/atips/atips45.shtml

    > Thanks for the reply and for the "heads-up". I can see how that could
    > easily be overlooked.
    > Fortunately, we do know the Local Administrator password and we are
    > resetting it before we remove it from the domain and setting the
    membership
    > to a workgroup instead of a domain. We are automatically removing the
    > computer from the domain, but now we'd like to automatically change the
    > computer's membership from the 'Domain' to the 'Workgroup' (in the
    > networking properties) on the local computer itself.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Mike
    >
    > --
    > MICHAEL MCGUIRE
    > "Danny Sanders" <Danny.Sanders@cpcNOmedSPAM.org> wrote in message
    > > Before "automating" this you might want to be sure you have the Local
    > admin
    > > account along with the local admin password for each computer.
    > > If you don't know it, log on using the domain admin account (before you
    > > remove it from the domain) and view/ reset the admin account login and
    > reset
    > > the password for that account to something you know.
    > >
    > > There are TONS of posts where a user removes a computer from a domain
    only
    > > to find out the local admin account is different from the domain admin
    > > account and the PC has been on the network so long the local admin
    account
    > > is forgotten, now they can't log into the PC.
    > >
    > > hth
    > > DDS W 2k MVP MCSE
    > >
    > > "Mike M." <Nonya@Business.com> wrote in message
    > > > Is there any way to change from a Domain to a Workgroup from within
    the
    > > > Registry? I'd like to automate this using a batch file on some of our
    > NT
    > > > 4.0 Boxes.
    > > >
    > > > Thanks,
    > > > Mike