Change from a Domain to a Workgroup?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.registry (More info?)

Is there any way to change from a Domain to a Workgroup from within the
Registry? I'd like to automate this using a batch file on some of our NT
4.0 Boxes.

Thanks,
Mike

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.registry (More info?)

Before "automating" this you might want to be sure you have the Local admin
account along with the local admin password for each computer.
If you don't know it, log on using the domain admin account (before you
remove it from the domain) and view/ reset the admin account login and reset
the password for that account to something you know.

There are TONS of posts where a user removes a computer from a domain only
to find out the local admin account is different from the domain admin
account and the PC has been on the network so long the local admin account
is forgotten, now they can't log into the PC.

hth
DDS W 2k MVP MCSE

"Mike M." <Nonya@Business.com> wrote in message
> Is there any way to change from a Domain to a Workgroup from within the
> Registry? I'd like to automate this using a batch file on some of our NT
> 4.0 Boxes.
>
> Thanks,
> Mike

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.registry (More info?)

Thanks for the reply and for the "heads-up". I can see how that could
easily be overlooked.
Fortunately, we do know the Local Administrator password and we are
resetting it before we remove it from the domain and setting the membership
to a workgroup instead of a domain. We are automatically removing the
computer from the domain, but now we'd like to automatically change the
computer's membership from the 'Domain' to the 'Workgroup' (in the
networking properties) on the local computer itself.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Mike

--
MICHAEL MCGUIRE
"Danny Sanders" <Danny.Sanders@cpcNOmedSPAM.org> wrote in message
> Before "automating" this you might want to be sure you have the Local
admin
> account along with the local admin password for each computer.
> If you don't know it, log on using the domain admin account (before you
> remove it from the domain) and view/ reset the admin account login and
reset
> the password for that account to something you know.
>
> There are TONS of posts where a user removes a computer from a domain only
> to find out the local admin account is different from the domain admin
> account and the PC has been on the network so long the local admin account
> is forgotten, now they can't log into the PC.
>
> hth
> DDS W 2k MVP MCSE
>
> "Mike M." <Nonya@Business.com> wrote in message
> > Is there any way to change from a Domain to a Workgroup from within the
> > Registry? I'd like to automate this using a batch file on some of our
NT
> > 4.0 Boxes.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Mike

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.registry (More info?)

> computer from the domain, but now we'd like to automatically change the
> computer's membership from the 'Domain' to the 'Workgroup' (in the
> networking properties) on the local computer itself.

Maybe this will help:

http://is-it-true.org/nt/nt2000/atips/atips45.shtml