Anyone got SP2 thru Automatic Updates yet?

The day is still very young, but I was curious to know if anyone has
gotten SP2 thru Automatic Updates yet? August 16th is supposed to be THE
day. I left my computer on all night (with AU turned on, naturally), and
the only difference I've seen is that Windows Update 5 is now installed.

I also left both my PCs on overnight but did not receive the update.
Although I left Automatic Updates on, I have chosen the option to download
the updates automatically and I will choose when to install. Since I can't
choose a specific time by choosing this option, I am unsure if the update
will come automatically. I prefer this option so that I can disable AV
software and other running programs prior to the actual install. If I don't
receive the updates today, then perhaps tommorow I shall change the option
to download and install automatically. Keep me posted on your progress and
have a great day.

"Warren" <unknown@cox.net> wrote in message
> I also left both my PCs on overnight but did not receive the update.
> Although I left Automatic Updates on, I have chosen the option to download
> the updates automatically and I will choose when to install. Since I
can't
> choose a specific time by choosing this option, I am unsure if the update
> will come automatically.

It should. That's what Automatic Updates is all about. I have that
option set too. I figure that setting is the quickest way to get SP2.

Hi, HistoryFan - and Warren.

SP2 is still very new - and very much in demand. Everybody in the world
wants to be first, of course, and that is not possible, of course. I'm not
privy to Microsoft's exact schedule, but I know they want everybody in the
world to have SP2 as soon as possible.

My understanding of Automatic Update is that, as soon as the servers in the
"farm" can get to you, they will begin downloading SP2's files. Depending
on your own hardware/software configuration, the file could be anywhere from
about 250 MB to nearly 500 MB in size, so this will take a while to
download, even with broadband and even with no interruptions. If you are on
a dial-up connection, it will take many hours. It can download only when
your computer is turned on and your Internet connection is open, of course.
The Microsoft Download Manager will be installed on your computer and will
handle the chore of getting the entire file, even if it is interrupted
several times and even if it takes several days. While some smaller
components, like the Download Manager, may be transferred first so that they
can be run to manage the rest of the process, for the most part, none of SP2
will be installed until all of the giant file is in place on your own hard
drive.

Once the whole file is on your HD, the installation program will run. On my
computer (installing the version downloaded from MSDN), the screen estimated
it would take two hours, but it took only one. As others have said, you
will need to agree to the EULA, so you will know when actual installation
begins.

No need to get too anxious until you begin seeing messages that boast, "I
got my automatic update yesterday", mixed in amongst all the "Anyone got
SP2?" questions. ;^}

Some of what I've said is a guess on my part, but this is my understanding
of the process.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"HistoryFan" <IHaTeSPam!@IhaTESpAM.coM> wrote in message

> "Warren" <unknown@cox.net> wrote in message
>> I also left both my PCs on overnight but did not receive the update.
>> Although I left Automatic Updates on, I have chosen the option to
>> download
>> the updates automatically and I will choose when to install. Since I
> can't
>> choose a specific time by choosing this option, I am unsure if the update
>> will come automatically.
>
> It should. That's what Automatic Updates is all about. I have that
> option set too. I figure that setting is the quickest way to get SP2.

According to Paul Thurrott's online magazine, here are the latest
release dates for SP2:

August 18- Release to Automatic Update for users running Windows XP Home
Edition only

August 25 - Release to Automatic Update for all Windows XP users including
those running Windows XP Professional Edition; release to Windows Update for
interactive user installations

And, as many people here have noted, Automatic Updates doesn't
update everyone everywhere at the same time. So some XP Home users may get
SP2 on the 18th, while others may have to wait until the 20th or 21st.
Based on this info, I'm going to change my AU settings and set it to
download and install SP2 in the middle of the night. This means my PC will
stay on 24 hours a day beginning this Wednesday until SP2 arrives. So
sometime this week, when I turn on the monitor in the morning, I should see
a EULA window telling me about SP2.

HistoryFan wrote:

> The day is still very young, but I was curious to know if anyone has
> gotten SP2 thru Automatic Updates yet? August 16th is supposed to be THE
> day. I left my computer on all night (with AU turned on, naturally), and
> the only difference I've seen is that Windows Update 5 is now installed.

It has been delayed until the 18 (Wednesday). RC Service Pack users will be
first, followed by Home Edition, and finally all XP users.

Amazingly, Microsoft saw the light. They will take care of home users first
(although the full Service Pack 2 for all systems is available right now).

courtney sends...

bernie

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003

8/6 Release to manufacturing
8/9 Release to Microsoft Download Center (full network install package)
8/10 Release to Automatic Updates (for machines running pre-release versions
of Windows XP SP2 only)
8/16 Release to SUS via AU
8/18 Release to Automatic Update for users running Windows XP Home Edition
only
8/25 Release to Automatic Update for all Windows XP users including those
running Windows XP Professional Edition
No Date set yet for release to Windows Update for interactive user
installations

> No Date set yet for release to Windows Update for interactive user
> installations

It's supposed to be August 25th.

george

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2001

Am I the only one that sees a problem with people leaving their computers
connected to the internet for long periods of time? The thought is that
most people don't even realize that they need some form of protection from
outside snoopers. Maybe MS is wanting all of these unprotected people to
get infected in some form or another and then they will learn their
lesson???

Nonsense, literal nonsense!!! My grandma doesn't have a clue about
protecting her PC but MS tells her to leave her PC hooked to the internet
all night long so that THEY can do their thing.....

BTW, I have SP2 on both my machines and yes one runs faster and the other
one is slightly slower. The suggestion should be to turn off all running
processes before installing SP2 and then once it is installed it recognizes
what virus protection, firewall, etc. I have and does accordingly. Example:
when I first installed sp2 it installed the firewall and turned it on. Then
I went and turned ZoneAlarm back on and MS SP2 automatically turned off the
Firewall that it uses....

In news:eQJ$S1UhEHA.3932@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
George <pop@email.com> typed:

> Am I the only one that sees a problem with people leaving their
> computers connected to the internet for long periods of time?
> The
> thought is that most people don't even realize that they need
> some
> form of protection from outside snoopers.

I don't know whether you're the only one, but I don't see "long
periods of time" as any problem at all.

If you don't have a firewall, anti-virus software, anti-spyware
software, etc., you're at risk when you are connected. The issue
isn't for how long you connect unprotected, it's *whether* you
connect unprotected. Are you aware of how long it takes for an
unprotected computer on the internet to get infected with Sasser?
It's just a few seconds.

> Maybe MS is wanting all of these unprotected people to get
> infected
> in some form or another and then they will learn their lesson?

That's simply nonsense, as far as I'm concerned. Every infection
is bad publicity for Microsoft; that's the last thing they would
want.

Please reply to the newsgroup