Sign in with
Your question

Raid 0 appears as removeable drives on windows???

Last response: in Storage
December 27, 2005 1:43:57 PM

Hey guys,
I installed my new rigg today,
first time ever messing around with RAID.
I have 3x74gb raptors set on a RAID 0.
in windows they all appear as 1 big drive - 207gb.
but on the taskbar i have an icon for removable drives and it lists all the raptors in it.
does anyone know what this is? and why is it showing me this?
thanks.
December 27, 2005 3:00:08 PM

deselect the RAID drive as removable.
December 27, 2005 3:01:24 PM

where do i this and how?
thanks.
Related resources
December 29, 2005 10:22:03 PM

DFI DR SLI

I guess this is an NF4 chipset, SATA drives with NF3 & NF4 are hot swapable so they show up as removable. Of course in RAID0 it wont let you remove one.

Dont worry about it or you can hide the entire removable icon.
Actually I use the hot plugable feature with a SATA caddy as a very quick way of backing up for RAID0.
December 29, 2005 10:25:50 PM

that sounds awesome!
you mean i can plug a sata drive to my computer while its on and itll just detect it as if im connecting a usb storage device?
isnt it a big risky though? unplugging/plugging a delicate mechanical like a hardrive while its working ?

thanks.
December 29, 2005 11:07:03 PM

I would assume that SATA is similar to USB and you have to "undock" the media before you remove it, hence the icon in your tray. (enough has been said about doing this in Raid 0...) Doing this should spin it down and eliminate any chance of zapping the electronics. Modern HD's are not as delicate as the old school platters and can stand up to some abuse (dont go out and play football with the thing!) and be fine, if powered down. even on they can be handled, but again dont do anything stupid. a platter spinning at 10k (raptor, aye?) would in theory act like a gyro and may not like being twisted around toooooo much. hope that helps. :twisted:
December 30, 2005 10:51:09 AM

Quote:
that sounds awesome!
you mean i can plug a sata drive to my computer while its on and itll just detect it as if im connecting a usb storage device?
isnt it a big risky though? unplugging/plugging a delicate mechanical like a hardrive while its working ?
thanks.

This is best done with caddies rather than reaching in there and yanking cables. But yes, it is just the same as USB & firewire.

Note: the correct SATA power cable has a longer earth to prevent sparking when being hot pluged/swaped, in other words it is designed for it.

SATA devices are usually optimise for performance, it you want to hot plug I suggest you set it for fast removal. I dont believe any intel chipset support this feature.
!