Error writing the value's new contents

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.registry (More info?)

I am trying to set up an NT4 box to do autologon. When I
try to edit the registries to change the current default
settings, I keep getting the following message...

Error writing the value's new contents

I have tried editing other entries in other keys and this
works fine, but I can not add/edit any values under the
winlogon key

Any Suggestions?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.registry (More info?)

Use REGEDT32.EXE registry editor.

Check winlogon key security settings (through regedt32.exe security menu).
Admin users and SYSTEM account should have full access and other users
ReadOnly access to this key. If you have not rights to change security, you
can get them by taking ownership of key.