Switching between automatic IP address/DNS server, and cho..

I move between home and school almost every day. With my wireless connection
on my XP laptop, under properties of TCP/IP, at home I automatically detect
the IP address and the DNS server. But when I go to school, I must enter in
the IP address and the DNS server. When I go home and switch back to
automatic, all my entries clear out. Thus I need to daily reenter all the
numbers. Is there an easy way to simply switch between the two without
losing all my numerical entries every day?

Netswitcher is one option...

http://www.netswitcher.com/

....or the alternative network configuration feature...

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;283676

--

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

benefit of all of us...
rights...

"pjdrummer" <pjdrummer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I move between home and school almost every day. With my wireless
>connection
> on my XP laptop, under properties of TCP/IP, at home I automatically
> detect
> the IP address and the DNS server. But when I go to school, I must enter
> in
> the IP address and the DNS server. When I go home and switch back to
> automatic, all my entries clear out. Thus I need to daily reenter all the
> numbers. Is there an easy way to simply switch between the two without
> losing all my numerical entries every day?

This is a great question, however it does not provide an answer to what I am
looking for. How/what do we change after using the Alternate IP
configuration to allow us to see the computers on each network. I have a
SOHO and share folders on it with my pc's, but when I go to one of the group
offices for my business, I can get on the internet, but can not see or share
my folders on that workgroup. So in my case, not only do I need network
access, but have two different workgroups to share and access.

TIA

"pjdrummer" <pjdrummer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I move between home and school almost every day. With my wireless
>connection
> on my XP laptop, under properties of TCP/IP, at home I automatically
> detect
> the IP address and the DNS server. But when I go to school, I must enter
> in
> the IP address and the DNS server. When I go home and switch back to
> automatic, all my entries clear out. Thus I need to daily reenter all the
> numbers. Is there an easy way to simply switch between the two without
> losing all my numerical entries every day?

Malke

"mohawkspa" <mohawkbrewing at yahoo dot com> wrote:

> This is a great question, however it does not provide an answer to
> what I am
> looking for. How/what do we change after using the Alternate IP
> configuration to allow us to see the computers on each network. I have
> a SOHO and share folders on it with my pc's, but when I go to one of
> the group offices for my business, I can get on the internet, but can
> not see or share
> my folders on that workgroup. So in my case, not only do I need
> network access, but have two different workgroups to share and access.
>
> TIA
>

> "pjdrummer" <pjdrummer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>I move between home and school almost every day. With my wireless
>>connection
>> on my XP laptop, under properties of TCP/IP, at home I automatically
>> detect
>> the IP address and the DNS server. But when I go to school, I must
>> enter in
>> the IP address and the DNS server. When I go home and switch back to
>> automatic, all my entries clear out. Thus I need to daily reenter
>> all the
>> numbers. Is there an easy way to simply switch between the two
>> without losing all my numerical entries every day?

Either use the Alternate Configuration or third-party software. With the
Alternate Configuration, all you have to do is wait 30-60 seconds and
when the machine doesn't find a DHCP server from the default settings
it will switch over to the Alternate Configuration.

Example: My kid's school laptop is set to automatically get an IP
address from the 192.168.1.x range at home. For school, I use the
Alternate Configuration to use a static IP address in the 192.168.2.x
range. The Workgroup names are irrelevant; Windows machines do not need
to be in the same Workgroup to share resources.

If domains are involved, then third-party software might be a better
choice for you. If your laptop doesn't already come with something (my
IBM X31 does), then:

http://www.netswitcher.com - NetSwitcher
http://www.globesoft.com/mnm_home.html - MultiNetwork Manager
http://www.mobilenetswitch.com - Mobile Net Switch

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

if they are workgroups then there should be no problem. workgroups provide
no security, they are simply a way to group machines in windows explorer.
to share stuff on workgroups you just address the individual machines
directly and rely on each of them to either allow you to access them or
not... and the workgroup name doesn't enter in to it just the machine name
and user name.

however, if one or both of the locations is a domain then you have a
different problem and should probably look into one of the third party tools
to make it easier.