Workgroup setting

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.registry,microsoft.public.win2000.registry (More info?)

I am having trouble finding where the computer stores the network
"WorkGoup". as a test, i changed my workgroup to "THISISMYWORKGROUP", and
then rebooted. then i ran regedit and searched the whole registry for
that, but was not successful.... I found the option for windows 98 here:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\VNETSEUP
in a key called WorkGroup.

I looked in the same place on windows XP, but only found the ComputerName
there.

Can anyone tell me how i can change my workgroup either in the registry,
or command line.
5
answers
Last reply
More about workgroup setting
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.registry,microsoft.public.win2000.registry (More info?)

    d0x wrote:
    > I am having trouble finding where the computer stores the network
    > "WorkGoup". as a test, i changed my workgroup to "THISISMYWORKGROUP", and
    > then rebooted. then i ran regedit and searched the whole registry for
    > that, but was not successful.... I found the option for windows 98 here:
    >
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\VNETSEUP
    > in a key called WorkGroup.
    >
    > I looked in the same place on windows XP, but only found the ComputerName
    > there.
    >
    > Can anyone tell me how i can change my workgroup either in the registry,
    > or command line.
    Hi

    You can use Netdom.exe version 1.8 to move the computer to
    another workgroup.

    For more info, see section "Command line, join workgroup" here:

    From: Torgeir Bakken
    Subject: Re: Join Workgroup then join domain, via WSH?
    Newsgroups: microsoft.public.scripting.wsh
    Date: 2002-09-09 14:03:29 PST
    http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=3D7CFEC8.556EDB2B%40hydro.com

    the 1328 page Scripting Guide:
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.registry,microsoft.public.win2000.registry (More info?)

    On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 17:58:45 +0200, Torgeir Bakken (MVP) wrote:

    > d0x wrote:
    >> I am having trouble finding where the computer stores the network
    >> "WorkGoup". as a test, i changed my workgroup to "THISISMYWORKGROUP",
    >> and then rebooted. then i ran regedit and searched the whole registry
    >> for that, but was not successful.... I found the option for windows 98
    >> here:
    >>
    >> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\VNETSEUP in a
    >> key called WorkGroup.
    >>
    >> I looked in the same place on windows XP, but only found the
    >> ComputerName there.
    >>
    >> Can anyone tell me how i can change my workgroup either in the registry,
    >> or command line.
    > Hi
    >
    > You can use Netdom.exe version 1.8 to move the computer to another
    > workgroup.
    >
    > For more info, see section "Command line, join workgroup" here:
    >
    > From: Torgeir Bakken
    > Subject: Re: Join Workgroup then join domain, via WSH? Newsgroups:
    > microsoft.public.scripting.wsh Date: 2002-09-09 14:03:29 PST
    > http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=3D7CFEC8.556EDB2B%40hydro.com

    i searched my box(XP Pro) for netdom.exe but couldn't find it. Which ever
    method i use, it needs to be able to work on nt4,2k and xp (give or take
    nt4). The project that I am doing is a stand alone executable, so I cannot
    include other files.
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.registry,microsoft.public.win2000.registry (More info?)

    Install the Windows Support Tools from the Support\Tools folder on the
    Windows CD-ROM

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;329721

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "d0x" wrote:
    | i searched my box(XP Pro) for netdom.exe but couldn't find it. Which ever
    | method i use, it needs to be able to work on nt4,2k and xp (give or take
    | nt4). The project that I am doing is a stand alone executable, so I cannot
    | include other files.
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.registry,microsoft.public.win2000.registry (More info?)

    Dave Patrick wrote:

    > Install the Windows Support Tools from the Support\Tools folder on the
    > Windows CD-ROM
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;329721

    Hi

    Note that this will give you Netdom 2.0.

    You need Netdom.exe version 1.8 (or 1.7) to move the computer to
    another workgroup (download link in my other post).

    the 1328 page Scripting Guide:
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.registry,microsoft.public.win2000.registry (More info?)

    d0x wrote:

    > i searched my box(XP Pro) for netdom.exe but couldn't find it.
    > Which ever method i use, it needs to be able to work on nt4,2k
    > and xp (give or take nt4). The project that I am doing is a
    > stand alone executable, so I cannot include other files.
    Hi

    Then you will need to use API calls.

    Windows 2000 and Windows XP introduces the NetJoinDomain() API,
    which must be used by Windows 2000 and Windows XP clients to
    join a workgroup or a domain. See the Microsoft Platform SDK
    Documentation for more information on the NetJoinDomain() API

    NetJoinDomain
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/netmgmt/netmgmt/netjoindomain.asp?frame=true

    Based on the following newsgroup post, KB article 170620 will give you
    a start point on how to do it for NT 4.0

    http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=1QjB2.32%24OV6.420%40news.connectnet.com

    How To Manage Computer Domain Membership Programmatically on Windows NT
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=170620

    the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

Registry Microsoft Windows