Workgroup setting

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
July 25, 2004 3:57:13 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.registry,microsoft.public.win2000.registry (More info?)

I am having trouble finding where the computer stores the network
"WorkGoup". as a test, i changed my workgroup to "THISISMYWORKGROUP", and
then rebooted. then i ran regedit and searched the whole registry for
that, but was not successful.... I found the option for windows 98 here:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\VNETSEUP
in a key called WorkGroup.

I looked in the same place on windows XP, but only found the ComputerName
there.

Can anyone tell me how i can change my workgroup either in the registry,
or command line.

More about : workgroup setting

Anonymous
July 25, 2004 9:58:45 PM

d0x wrote:
> I am having trouble finding where the computer stores the network
> "WorkGoup". as a test, i changed my workgroup to "THISISMYWORKGROUP", and
> then rebooted. then i ran regedit and searched the whole registry for
> that, but was not successful.... I found the option for windows 98 here:
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\VNETSEUP
> in a key called WorkGroup.
>
> I looked in the same place on windows XP, but only found the ComputerName
> there.
>
> Can anyone tell me how i can change my workgroup either in the registry,
> or command line.
Hi

You can use Netdom.exe version 1.8 to move the computer to
another workgroup.

For more info, see section "Command line, join workgroup" here:

From: Torgeir Bakken
Subject: Re: Join Workgroup then join domain, via WSH?
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.scripting.wsh
Date: 2002-09-09 14:03:29 PST
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=3D7CFEC8.556EDB2B%...

the 1328 page Scripting Guide:
July 25, 2004 9:58:46 PM

On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 17:58:45 +0200, Torgeir Bakken (MVP) wrote:

> d0x wrote:
>> I am having trouble finding where the computer stores the network
>> "WorkGoup". as a test, i changed my workgroup to "THISISMYWORKGROUP",
>> and then rebooted. then i ran regedit and searched the whole registry
>> for that, but was not successful.... I found the option for windows 98
>> here:
>>
>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\VNETSEUP in a
>> key called WorkGroup.
>>
>> I looked in the same place on windows XP, but only found the
>> ComputerName there.
>>
>> Can anyone tell me how i can change my workgroup either in the registry,
>> or command line.
> Hi
>
> You can use Netdom.exe version 1.8 to move the computer to another
> workgroup.
>
> For more info, see section "Command line, join workgroup" here:
>
> From: Torgeir Bakken
> Subject: Re: Join Workgroup then join domain, via WSH? Newsgroups:
> microsoft.public.scripting.wsh Date: 2002-09-09 14:03:29 PST
> http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=3D7CFEC8.556EDB2B%...

i searched my box(XP Pro) for netdom.exe but couldn't find it. Which ever
method i use, it needs to be able to work on nt4,2k and xp (give or take
nt4). The project that I am doing is a stand alone executable, so I cannot
include other files.
July 25, 2004 9:58:47 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.registry,microsoft.public.win2000.registry (More info?)

Install the Windows Support Tools from the Support\Tools folder on the
Windows CD-ROM

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;329721

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"d0x" wrote:
| i searched my box(XP Pro) for netdom.exe but couldn't find it. Which ever
| method i use, it needs to be able to work on nt4,2k and xp (give or take
| nt4). The project that I am doing is a stand alone executable, so I cannot
| include other files.
Anonymous
July 27, 2004 12:14:54 AM

Dave Patrick wrote:

> Install the Windows Support Tools from the Support\Tools folder on the
> Windows CD-ROM
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;329721

Hi

Note that this will give you Netdom 2.0.

You need Netdom.exe version 1.8 (or 1.7) to move the computer to
another workgroup (download link in my other post).

the 1328 page Scripting Guide:
July 27, 2004 12:20:07 AM

d0x wrote:

> i searched my box(XP Pro) for netdom.exe but couldn't find it.
> Which ever method i use, it needs to be able to work on nt4,2k
> and xp (give or take nt4). The project that I am doing is a
> stand alone executable, so I cannot include other files.
Hi

Then you will need to use API calls.

Windows 2000 and Windows XP introduces the NetJoinDomain() API,
which must be used by Windows 2000 and Windows XP clients to
join a workgroup or a domain. See the Microsoft Platform SDK
Documentation for more information on the NetJoinDomain() API

NetJoinDomain
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/netmgmt/netmgmt...

Based on the following newsgroup post, KB article 170620 will give you
a start point on how to do it for NT 4.0

http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=1QjB2.32%24OV6....

How To Manage Computer Domain Membership Programmatically on Windows NT
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=170620

the 1328 page Scripting Guide: