Intel MB 12V Question

Andredesz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2005
Hello Everyone,

I have searched the archives but can't find a solution to this problem I'm having. I built my first computer recently, I used an Intel 945GNTLR MB, and an Ultra X Connect power supply. I mention this because the problem I'm having relates, I believe, to those two components. See, the computer worked fine for about a month, the only issue I had was that the power button on the acrylic case I used sometimes stuck in, but if you jiggled it a bit it would pop back out before it caused the system to turn off. I think my daughter may have turned it off this way when I wasn't around however, with the button stuck in.

So, last week when I turned the system on the fans didn't spin up. It wouldn't start at all. But it was getting power. So I disconnected parts one by one to troubleshoot. The system starts, like the CPU fan does start up when only the biggest MB power cord and and hard drive connections are in. But when I connect the 12V power cord to the motherboard, thats when I get the problem, that's when the fans stop working. I'm afraid my MB may be fried, or maybe just the cord? Does this sound familiar at all to anyone? Sorry for the long post, I wanted to provide as much info as possible.

Lost in California,
Carol A
jandredesz@aol.com

Thank you so much!

Scout

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Sounds like you may have had a hardware failure of some sort. Try clearing the BIOS and if that doesn't work you need to start swapping out parts to see what's wrong. My first suspician would be to try a different power supply.

Do I understand you correctly that you were trying the computer with various combinations of power cables unhooked? That's probably not a good idea... you can remove components selectively like add-in cards and memory sticks, but I wouldn't recommend trying to power up with only partial power connected... not sure if that might damage the board.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Normally that indicates a short circuit, but since you're using an acrylic case, the only short circuits would be internal. That leaves your CPU, Motherboard, OR power supply as the culprit.