How to change the system drive letter from C: to say W:? -..

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.registry (More info?)

Folks,
looking for some non UI script mechanism that will let me
do this change enmasse and on reboot will still allow the
apps running? This is on NT 4.0 SP6.

Any suggestions will be appreciated?

Girish

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.registry (More info?)

> Folks,
> looking for some non UI script mechanism that will let me
> do this change enmasse and on reboot will still allow the
> apps running? This is on NT 4.0 SP6.
>
> Any suggestions will be appreciated?

Please think it over: Path settings for Apps may be placed in the registry
in various formats. Links contain paths (no variables). Many apps are still
using INIs and other plain text files. Even worse: Some apps may use
proprietary data formats to store their environment. Databases may contain
data with path entries.

You see: Changing a drive letter can be quite difficult to manage. Or not.
Depends on your environment.

Please tell us why to change the drive letter. Sounds pretty strange to me.

Ciao, Walter