DFI NF4 SLI-DR Expert and Opteron 170 compatibility, etc....

black_dought

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
Upon looking at this mobo, it is hard to believe that this fan for the CPU is efficient enough for it, partly because it is used somewhat for the video cards. Does anyone see this fan as a problem for controlling temps. when over clocking? I have planned on gettting the X2 4400, but as stated by several users, with the right air flow, the Opteron 170 can OC to about 2.9, which is significantly better than the 4400. Which leads me to my next question, are these infact compatible with the Opteron 170. Then again with a mounted fan, such as a Zalman CPU 120mm fan, does the layout of this board allow such a fan to be affixed above the chip? From the looks of it, Space and Size seem to be an issue here...Many questions Help please.....Thanks

Marcus

RichPLS

Champion
I just got an Opteron 175 installed in a Asus A8R-MVP mobo.
The 175 is the equivalent of the X2-4400.
Yes, Opterons 1xx series are compatible with socket 939 boards, older ones might require a bios upgrade to support X2's or Opterons, but they are compatible.

black_dought

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
Thats reassuring to know that the DFI Expert 939 is compatible with the Opteron 170, but I would still like to know if this board has sufficient room for an alternate CPU cooling device, such as the Zalman 120mm fan compatible with the 939 sockets. As read earlier, space and size pose a dilema with certain components. Thanks.

Marcus

black_dought

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
I know this CPU requires better memory than others. I plan on getting the Platinum Series of the OCZ Ram stick 1GB. It's small yes, but for just starting is this memory's performance sufficient for such a chip>? Thanks.

Marcus

HideOut

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
id doesnt really "require" but since its such a stellar overclocker the better ram takes it to the next level so to say. Not all will get 2.9ghz. 2.6 to 2.8 on air is more likely but with good luck and serious air you might get near 3ghz. usually ya need H2O for that though. The single core version of the opteron 939 (146) will do 3+ghz easier, but its only one core so its running cooler.

Why did ya get a 175 th ough, why not the 165 and clock it up and save TONS of casH?

Hide

Oh yes, the original question, the Expert is the best board for the opteron 939 period, nothing can OC as high. However, if your bu dget is tight even the ASROck mobo can do decent.

black_dought

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
Ha you are right about saving money. Looking at other Opteron Processors, I've come across the Opteron 150. Its 2.4 GHz and for a single core processor I see this kicks ***. At mwave, it is selling for a great price, however do you believe this to be a credible site? Its a $40 dollar difference from buying it from my favorite place, newegg. I know this processor definitely can make it pretty close to 3GHz with no problem. Dual Core Processor's are great but I'm ready to build my comPWNer aleady and saving is taking way to long. Is the Opteron 150 a good decision and if so is mwave.com a good site to buy from? Thanks..

Marcus

HideOut

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
Ive purchased from Mwave before actually. Id stick with newegg, monarchcomputer.com or zipzoomfly, the majors. There is a site (google em, i cant find it) that hand bins them for ya for overclockers. They charge a few bucks more but you know what proc your getting down to the week code. Also, don t waste your time and cash on a 150, get a 144 or 146 to save money. It'll clock nearly as high. the savings can yeild you more/better RAM and such.

Hide

black_dought

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
There is a site (google em, i cant find it) that hand bins them for ya for overclockers. They charge a few bucks more but you know what proc your getting down to the week code. Also, don t waste your time and cash on a 150, get a 144 or 146 to save money. It'll clock nearly as high. the savings can yeild you more/better RAM and such.

Hide

Ok what does hand bin mean? dont know what you mean by this. I would definitely like you to explain this for me. But I initially was going to get the X2 4400 so I had enough to get the 150, but your saying the 148 clocks nearly as high? explain please thanks...

Marcus

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
'binning' is just the term used to sort the CPUs by quality and speed capability. All CPU's from a line come off the same process (3000+, 3200+, 3500+, & 3800+, all Venice cores, come off the same production line, and a 3800+ could be right beside a 3000+ on the wafer when its made). After they're separated from the wafer they're tested to be sure they all work, and to see how fast they'll reliably go. The best ones become 3800's, the next best become 3500's, etc. Opterons, being the server/workstation cpu, go through tougher testing and sorting, so they tend to OC better.

Mike.

black_dought

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
Opterons, being the server/workstation cpu, go through tougher testing and sorting, so they tend to OC better.

Mike.

Because Opterons go through tougher testing and sorting, does this suggest that they are already at there peak performance when purchasing, or are there better Opterons than others, per say, in the same class?

Ex - This Opteron 150 is better than this Opteron 150 because.....

Not sure if that makes any sense, but if I were to purchase a processor from newegg, or mwave, is it guaranteed that these will be at there peak, or is there a specific place one must look to find out it has been hand binned and tested for performance? Thanks....

Marcus

HideOut

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
I mean that the seller is hand selecting the processors based on the codes on them. The codes show the process week and everythign else. Certain codes are known to be the best overclockers. The opteron will OC better, not worse than the 4400 cause they are sold to run cooler and such. Their Vcore is usually only about 1.3V. The 144 Opteron is 1.8ghz but will often clock to nearly 3ghz on air alone

Hide

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
Every chip that comes off the mfg line is slightly different. Sometimes 'the air was extra clean that day' or some unidentifiable difference like 'cosmic rays rotated the spin of the ions on this one wafer further so they insulate better' (and if that sounds like a line of bull, it is...) so certain codes OC better than others, but all are guaranteed to run at stock speeds. The rest is just luck. Like HideOut said, that one place sorts them by codes to let the buyer choose specific CPUs that hopefully OC better or run at lower voltage than others based on those codes. Its all luck as to whether you get a great OCer or not - this just helps you stack the deck a little in your favor.

Mike.

black_dought

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
Where do I find >>>Opteron 146 stepping code CABYE

????????>>>(' - ') Honestly, I want one of these processors, but I am considering the 150 because I see its too much of a gamble to hope and wish and possibly pray for the CABYE 05 or the CABNE...

Has anyone purchased the Opteron 150? And if so how far can you make it go? I am ready to purchase the DFI Expert board and have recently purchased the Antec True Power 2 PSU and Antec P180 Case. I plan on getting the Platinum Series of 1gb OCZ RAM and XFX 7800GTX video card. Also a Zalman 7700 CPU fan.

With this type of setup and a Opteron 150, how far does one think I could possibly take it? On the other hand, I would love to save money, so bringing you guys back to the original question<<<<<

Where do I find>>>Opteron 146 stepping CABYE 05....besides ebay for $400?>>?

Is it safe to say I should risk it on newegg?

HideOut

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
try contacting monarchcomputer.com via phone support and mwave.com via phone. Both are known to sell them. For the life of me i cant find the site that hand selects and all but garentees the right chip...

both of those sites have some opty's in stock too