Invalid boot ini file.

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
September 27, 2004 12:27:20 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.registry (More info?)

Hi:

A friend of mine asked me to look at her daughter's computer. (She uses it
in college) According to what I was told, it was running slow; had all
sorts of problems; and, finally, upon initial booting, this message
appeared: Invalid boot ini file. Booting from c:\winnt\. Ndetect failed.
I just set it up here and got the same message.

I was able to use an emergency WinME startup disk and go to DOS and check
the C drive. Files ARE present under C:\winnt. Though they appear to be
all there, obviously, something is wrong.

There is no WinNT disk in her possession. I could not "see" any hidden
partitions containing WinNT original operating system to either re-install
or repair.

It's a competent computer, has an AMD Duron, 60 gig HD, 500 MB RAM.

Does WinNT create backup boot records and store them within itself that I
might copy a past-good-boot record and overwrite the corrupted record so
this machine will boot? Or, am I way off base in my limited WinNT thinking?

Any ideas/help will be deeply appreciated

Thank you.

More about : invalid boot ini file

Anonymous
September 27, 2004 12:27:21 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc,microsoft.public.windowsnt.registry (More info?)

Answered in .setup

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional