Invalid boot ini file.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.registry (More info?)

Hi:

A friend of mine asked me to look at her daughter's computer. (She uses it
in college) According to what I was told, it was running slow; had all
sorts of problems; and, finally, upon initial booting, this message
appeared: Invalid boot ini file. Booting from c:\winnt\. Ndetect failed.
I just set it up here and got the same message.

I was able to use an emergency WinME startup disk and go to DOS and check
the C drive. Files ARE present under C:\winnt. Though they appear to be
all there, obviously, something is wrong.

There is no WinNT disk in her possession. I could not "see" any hidden
partitions containing WinNT original operating system to either re-install
or repair.

It's a competent computer, has an AMD Duron, 60 gig HD, 500 MB RAM.

Does WinNT create backup boot records and store them within itself that I
might copy a past-good-boot record and overwrite the corrupted record so
this machine will boot? Or, am I way off base in my limited WinNT thinking?

Any ideas/help will be deeply appreciated

Thank you.
1 answer Last reply
More about invalid boot file
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc,microsoft.public.windowsnt.registry (More info?)

    Answered in .setup

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "Scribe" <dntsaycant@cox.net> wrote in message
    | Hi:
    |
    | A friend of mine asked me to look at her daughter's computer. (She uses
    it
    | in college) According to what I was told, it was running slow; had all
    | sorts of problems; and, finally, upon initial booting, this message
    | appeared: Invalid boot ini file. Booting from c:\winnt\. Ndetect
    failed.
    | I just set it up here and got the same message.
    |
    | I was able to use an emergency WinME startup disk and go to DOS and check
    | the C drive. Files ARE present under C:\winnt. Though they appear to be
    | all there, obviously, something is wrong.
    |
    | There is no WinNT disk in her possession. I could not "see" any hidden
    | partitions containing WinNT original operating system to either re-install
    | or repair.
    |
    | It's a competent computer, has an AMD Duron, 60 gig HD, 500 MB RAM.
    |
    | Does WinNT create backup boot records and store them within itself that I
    | might copy a past-good-boot record and overwrite the corrupted record so
    | this machine will boot? Or, am I way off base in my limited WinNT
    thinking?

    | Any ideas/help will be deeply appreciated
    |
    | Thank you.

Boot Windows