Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

canon i9900 printhead packaged used?

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
Share
Anonymous
October 23, 2004 11:07:09 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

I opened up the sealed package containing the printhead for my brand
new Canon i9900 photo printer tonight, bought from NewEgg.com, and it
had already been used. The printhead had very small ink beads on it,
and the tank slots all had ink residue from the particular color that
goes in the slot.

It's either second hand packaged with a new (it better be new, looks
like it)printer fresh from the box, or Canon tests the printheads
before selling.

It probably won't effect the operation of the printer, but I hate the
idea of getting something used that's supposed to be new. Hopefully,
they just ran some ink through it at the factory, but for some reason
that sounds odd.

Canon tech support is closed and not supporting anything till Monday
morning.
How convenient.
October 24, 2004 6:42:14 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

In article <30be7e7c.0410231807.743d6dff@posting.google.com>,
greensteak@aol.com says...
> I opened up the sealed package containing the printhead for my brand
> new Canon i9900 photo printer tonight, bought from NewEgg.com, and it
> had already been used. The printhead had very small ink beads on it,
> and the tank slots all had ink residue from the particular color that
> goes in the slot.
>
> It's either second hand packaged with a new (it better be new, looks
> like it)printer fresh from the box, or Canon tests the printheads
> before selling.
>
> It probably won't effect the operation of the printer, but I hate the
> idea of getting something used that's supposed to be new. Hopefully,
> they just ran some ink through it at the factory, but for some reason
> that sounds odd.
>
> Canon tech support is closed and not supporting anything till Monday
> morning.
> How convenient.
>

I just installed a new Canon MultiPass MP730 AIO, and its print head also
had ink residue. It's my guess that the print heads are tested prior to
packing.

Don
Anonymous
October 24, 2004 9:29:22 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

In article greensteak says...
> It's either second hand packaged with a new (it better be new, looks
> like it)printer fresh from the box, or Canon tests the printheads
> before selling.
>
They are tested. That's why it's in a sealed bag.
Related resources
Anonymous
October 24, 2004 9:29:23 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

colinco wrote:
> In article greensteak says...
>> It's either second hand packaged with a new (it better be new, looks
>> like it)printer fresh from the box, or Canon tests the printheads
>> before selling.
>>
> They are tested. That's why it's in a sealed bag.


No they're not - the printhead for my i9950 (same printer, EU model) was
spotless.
--
My great-grandfather was born and raised in Elgin - did he eventually
lose his marbles?
Anonymous
October 24, 2004 9:29:24 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

Miss Perspicacia Tick wrote:
> colinco wrote:
>> In article greensteak says...
>>> It's either second hand packaged with a new (it better be new, looks
>>> like it)printer fresh from the box, or Canon tests the printheads
>>> before selling.
>>>
>> They are tested. That's why it's in a sealed bag.
>
>
> No they're not - the printhead for my i9950 (same printer, EU model)
> was spotless.

I don't recall exactly, but when i receeived my ip4000 just a week ago, i
really can't remember any ink residuals on my head...i think it was clean.
October 24, 2004 9:29:24 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

Miss Perspicacia Tick wrote:

>>> It's either second hand packaged with a new (it better be new, looks
>>> like it)printer fresh from the box, or Canon tests the printheads
>>> before selling.
>>>
>> They are tested. That's why it's in a sealed bag.
>
>No they're not - the printhead for my i9950 (same printer, EU model) was
>spotless.

I tend to agree...my i850 and a friend's i550 both came with new
printheads that were totally spotless. They had not been tested or used
in any way as far as we could determine.

But then again, maybe Canon now tests them or perhaps they don't clean
them up as good before shipping...<shrug>
Anonymous
October 24, 2004 9:29:25 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

I spoke with a Canon sales representative, who believes this is an
abnormal situation. I still have to wait for technical support to get
back to work Monday morning to find out more. But it looks like a
warranty situation that can be relsolved in a matter of days (I hope).

It would be rather nice if Canon had technical support on Sundays. But
I guess that's asking way too much.
Anonymous
October 25, 2004 2:13:53 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

greensteak wrote:
> I spoke with a Canon sales representative, who believes this is an
> abnormal situation. I still have to wait for technical support to get
> back to work Monday morning to find out more. But it looks like a
> warranty situation that can be relsolved in a matter of days (I hope).
>
> It would be rather nice if Canon had technical support on Sundays. But
> I guess that's asking way too much.

Good luck!
Anonymous
October 25, 2004 1:35:20 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

In article Miss Perspicacia Tick says...
> colinco wrote:
> > In article greensteak says...
> >> It's either second hand packaged with a new (it better be new, looks
> >> like it)printer fresh from the box, or Canon tests the printheads
> >> before selling.
> >>
> > They are tested. That's why it's in a sealed bag.
>
>
> No they're not - the printhead for my i9950 (same printer, EU model) was
> spotless.
>
I don't know whether the fluid in the head was ink but both my i865s had
"wet" heads straight out of the bag and the purge pads in the printer
bodies had some ink on them. Unopened since factory.
Anonymous
October 25, 2004 1:35:21 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

"colinco" <colincomma@yawhoo.com> wrote in message
news:MPG.1be6d936426528d0989856@news.xtra.co.nz...
> In article Miss Perspicacia Tick says...
>> colinco wrote:
>> > In article greensteak says...
>> >> It's either second hand packaged with a new (it better be new, looks
>> >> like it)printer fresh from the box, or Canon tests the printheads
>> >> before selling.
>> >>
>> > They are tested. That's why it's in a sealed bag.
>>
>>
>> No they're not - the printhead for my i9950 (same printer, EU model) was
>> spotless.
>>
> I don't know whether the fluid in the head was ink but both my i865s had
> "wet" heads straight out of the bag and the purge pads in the printer
> bodies had some ink on them. Unopened since factory.

The printheads as packed may exhibit a slight film in the nozzle area, but
this should be barely noticeable. Visible ink should never be present in a
brand new printer and I suspect the OP was sold a display model or return
that a store employee had boxed back up (happens all the time).
Anonymous
October 25, 2004 1:35:22 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

> The printheads as packed may exhibit a slight film in the nozzle area, but
> this should be barely noticeable. Visible ink should never be present in a
> brand new printer and I suspect the OP was sold a display model or return
> that a store employee had boxed back up (happens all the time).

This was not a film-the printhead had several extremely tiny "beads",
which took great magnification to prpoerly see, but nevertheless were
first spotted as irregularities with the naked eye.

All I can say is, the moving parts of the printer were all taped up,
with orange tape, and the printer itself appears clean with no
fingerprints, dust, or other signs of previous excess handling.
Everything that was in the box appeared to have been factory packed,
and not a sloppily repacked. The accessories were all bagged as if in
original packing.(Hey, how about Canon not supplying USB cables? What
a load.) The print head was in a grey, semi foil-like sealed bag with
Canon's logo in several languages on it. It had two preforations for
tearing the bag open, and there's no way someone could open it and
reclose it. Anyway, like I said in the original post, it was bought
from NewEgg.com. But, you never know where they got it...............

I also called Best Buy for the heck of it to get their opinion (don't
worry, I don't take anything they say very seriously), and a HP rep
that happened to be in the store said that it is definitely abnormal
to have ink residue on the printhead and ink slots, but that it's
possible Canon did a quality control check. If they did that,
depending on how many "checks" the printer or print head went through,
the unit or at least the printhead gets demoted to "floor model"
status in my opinion. If they ran one print through it, no problem.
But if they ran several, then I might take issue. Besides, it's not
good to have ink in those things while they're not being used.
Somebody posted that "that's why they're in a sealed bag", which would
make sense since that might prevent the ink from drying. Yet, still
doesn't sound like a sound practice.

It will be interesting to hear the opinion from Canon tomorrow
morning.
October 25, 2004 1:35:23 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

greensteak wrote:

>possible Canon did a quality control check.

I seriously doubt that. Typically, any unit that is subjected to quality
control is never released to the public, no matter what the results.

Quality control may randomly sample units, but those units are never
released back into the supply chain. They are tagged, tested, recorded,
and either stored or disposed of in whatever process the company prefers
to use. The only way to get your hands on a QC item would be if you
worked for the company or one of its suppliers and had access to the
items.

>It will be interesting to hear the opinion from Canon tomorrow
>morning.

Please post back with the response...it should be interesting.
Anonymous
October 25, 2004 1:35:23 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

The Canon rep this morning said the heads should have a lubricating
residue only. But after checking with an engineer, he said that they
also run what is called "clear ink" through the head as a test. This
"clear ink" is not really clear, but a light-toned version of the real
color.

I was advised to run a nozzle check, and if any problems occur to call
back and arrange for a replacement printhead.

I'm also going to call NewEgg.com to make sure a refurbished printer
couldn't have slipped through the cracks. The fact that some posters
have reported ink residue on their new printheads lends support to the
Canon rep's claim.

End of Thread

Have a nice day.

GS
Anonymous
October 25, 2004 3:22:43 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

greensteak@aol.com (greensteak) wrote in message news:<30be7e7c.0410241839.2bbbc2b7@posting.google.com>...

> original packing.(Hey, how about Canon not supplying USB cables? What

Most printers don't (and they'd need to put in a firewire one too
if I remember correctly).

My i9900's head looked clean as a whistle when I opened the
bag (and I looked closely at the 'wonders' of the huge head).

Maybe some percentage are tested 'at random' as part of QC.

Mike
Anonymous
October 26, 2004 12:00:12 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

"greensteak" <greensteak@aol.com> wrote in message
news:30be7e7c.0410241839.2bbbc2b7@posting.google.com...
>> The printheads as packed may exhibit a slight film in the nozzle area,
>> but
>> this should be barely noticeable. Visible ink should never be present in
>> a
>> brand new printer and I suspect the OP was sold a display model or return
>> that a store employee had boxed back up (happens all the time).
>
> This was not a film-the printhead had several extremely tiny "beads",
> which took great magnification to prpoerly see, but nevertheless were
> first spotted as irregularities with the naked eye.
>
> All I can say is, the moving parts of the printer were all taped up,
> with orange tape, and the printer itself appears clean with no
> fingerprints, dust, or other signs of previous excess handling.
> Everything that was in the box appeared to have been factory packed,
> and not a sloppily repacked. The accessories were all bagged as if in
> original packing.(Hey, how about Canon not supplying USB cables? What
> a load.) The print head was in a grey, semi foil-like sealed bag with
> Canon's logo in several languages on it. It had two preforations for
> tearing the bag open, and there's no way someone could open it and
> reclose it. Anyway, like I said in the original post, it was bought
> from NewEgg.com. But, you never know where they got it...............
>
> I also called Best Buy for the heck of it to get their opinion (don't
> worry, I don't take anything they say very seriously), and a HP rep
> that happened to be in the store said that it is definitely abnormal
> to have ink residue on the printhead and ink slots, but that it's
> possible Canon did a quality control check. If they did that,
> depending on how many "checks" the printer or print head went through,
> the unit or at least the printhead gets demoted to "floor model"
> status in my opinion. If they ran one print through it, no problem.
> But if they ran several, then I might take issue. Besides, it's not
> good to have ink in those things while they're not being used.
> Somebody posted that "that's why they're in a sealed bag", which would
> make sense since that might prevent the ink from drying. Yet, still
> doesn't sound like a sound practice.
>
> It will be interesting to hear the opinion from Canon tomorrow
> morning.

Were these little beads slightly magenta (reddish) in color? If so, that is
normal. This is the conditioning fluid I referred to. It is there to prevent
moisture and or other contaminants from damaging the exposed nozzle and
inlets.

As for the USB cable not being included, this is not a Canon exclusive and
is in part a retailer (not manufacture) issue. Notice the ones being sold by
the HP guy don't have them either?? Ever notice how hard the sales people
try to push that cable and paper and accessories you will need??? Yep, those
accessories are high profit items for that store.
Anonymous
October 26, 2004 12:02:05 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

"greensteak" <greensteak@aol.com> wrote in message
news:30be7e7c.0410250539.752e7088@posting.google.com...
> The Canon rep this morning said the heads should have a lubricating
> residue only. But after checking with an engineer, he said that they
> also run what is called "clear ink" through the head as a test. This
> "clear ink" is not really clear, but a light-toned version of the real
> color.
>
> I was advised to run a nozzle check, and if any problems occur to call
> back and arrange for a replacement printhead.
>
> I'm also going to call NewEgg.com to make sure a refurbished printer
> couldn't have slipped through the cracks. The fact that some posters
> have reported ink residue on their new printheads lends support to the
> Canon rep's claim.
>

Note that a Canon Factory refurb will have a large oval "REFURBISHED" emblem
on the box.
Anonymous
October 26, 2004 1:51:04 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

Anoni Moose wrote:
> greensteak@aol.com (greensteak) wrote in message
> news:<30be7e7c.0410241839.2bbbc2b7@posting.google.com>...
>
>> original packing.(Hey, how about Canon not supplying USB cables? What
>
> Most printers don't (and they'd need to put in a firewire one too
> if I remember correctly).

depends where, i suppose. I boughtt i550 and got cable included, and now
when i bought ip4000 i also got cable included. Also before both Canons i
bought two Lexmarks for veeery low price and cable was always included.
Firewire...do you mean for digital camera? You don't use firewire, but
original camera cable.
Anonymous
October 26, 2004 1:51:05 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

"SleeperMan" <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote in message
news:5Ocfd.4777$F6.1274796@news.siol.net...
> Anoni Moose wrote:
>> greensteak@aol.com (greensteak) wrote in message
>> news:<30be7e7c.0410241839.2bbbc2b7@posting.google.com>...
>>
>>> original packing.(Hey, how about Canon not supplying USB cables? What
>>
>> Most printers don't (and they'd need to put in a firewire one too
>> if I remember correctly).
>
> depends where, i suppose. I boughtt i550 and got cable included, and now
> when i bought ip4000 i also got cable included.

This is usually a store promo. For instance Sam's Club sold a i550S
promotional package (as well as some others) which *they* included a usb
cable. The printer and all other contents is the same.
Anonymous
October 26, 2004 2:10:20 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

PC Medic wrote:
> "SleeperMan" <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote in message
> news:5Ocfd.4777$F6.1274796@news.siol.net...
>> Anoni Moose wrote:
>>> greensteak@aol.com (greensteak) wrote in message
>>> news:<30be7e7c.0410241839.2bbbc2b7@posting.google.com>...
>>>
>>>> original packing.(Hey, how about Canon not supplying USB cables?
>>>> What
>>>
>>> Most printers don't (and they'd need to put in a firewire one too
>>> if I remember correctly).
>>
>> depends where, i suppose. I boughtt i550 and got cable included, and
>> now when i bought ip4000 i also got cable included.
>
> This is usually a store promo. For instance Sam's Club sold a i550S
> promotional package (as well as some others) which *they* included a
> usb cable. The printer and all other contents is the same.

I remember people talking about that printer. I guess it's also how importer
(or reseller) agrees with producer or similar. Or maybe importer adds the
cable just before selling.
Anonymous
October 26, 2004 3:32:21 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

"SleeperMan" <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote in message news:<5Ocfd.4777$F6.1274796@news.siol.net>...
> Anoni Moose wrote:
> > greensteak@aol.com (greensteak) wrote in message
> > news:<30be7e7c.0410241839.2bbbc2b7@posting.google.com>...
> >
> >> original packing.(Hey, how about Canon not supplying USB cables? What
> >
> > Most printers don't (and they'd need to put in a firewire one too
> > if I remember correctly).
>
> depends where, i suppose. I boughtt i550 and got cable included, and now
> when i bought ip4000 i also got cable included. Also before both Canons i
> bought two Lexmarks for veeery low price and cable was always included.
> Firewire...do you mean for digital camera? You don't use firewire, but
> original camera cable.

The i9900 has both a USB interface and a FireWire interface, you
can use either (or by some reports, use both). Some 'pewters use
firewire instead of USB (Macs probably more often).

Mike
Anonymous
October 26, 2004 7:17:43 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

In article greensteak says...
> Tonight, Greensteak called Canon again to report additional ink
> residue on the 4 white sponges, 2 on either side of the printhead
> holder inside the printer.
> Canon says that should not be, and that I should ask for a replacement
> or refund from the vendor because it looks like I received a
> refurbished or used printer.
>
> Greensteak's consumer support team of usenet posters claim both
> experiences with and without the ink residue.
>
>
In Vincent Oliver's review of the i990 & i9950 he mentions ink on pads
before he had installed carts

" I noticed that there was a small amount of ink in the sponge under the
print head, this was there before I had fitted the inks, I'm sure each
unit must be tested before being packaged. "

http://www.photo-i.co.uk/Reviews/interactive/Canon%20i9...

Maybe you worry too much.
Anonymous
October 27, 2004 1:13:03 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

Anoni Moose wrote:
> "SleeperMan" <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote in message
> news:<5Ocfd.4777$F6.1274796@news.siol.net>...
>> Anoni Moose wrote:
>>> greensteak@aol.com (greensteak) wrote in message
>>> news:<30be7e7c.0410241839.2bbbc2b7@posting.google.com>...
>>>
>>>> original packing.(Hey, how about Canon not supplying USB cables?
>>>> What
>>>
>>> Most printers don't (and they'd need to put in a firewire one too
>>> if I remember correctly).
>>
>> depends where, i suppose. I boughtt i550 and got cable included, and
>> now when i bought ip4000 i also got cable included. Also before both
>> Canons i bought two Lexmarks for veeery low price and cable was
>> always included. Firewire...do you mean for digital camera? You
>> don't use firewire, but original camera cable.
>
> The i9900 has both a USB interface and a FireWire interface, you
> can use either (or by some reports, use both). Some 'pewters use
> firewire instead of USB (Macs probably more often).
>
> Mike

That's funny...since most( or all) PC's (except ooold ones) do have USB,
rare ones (usually most expensive ones) have firewire, too.
Maybe MAC's do have it more often.
Anonymous
October 27, 2004 2:24:42 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

> >>>> original packing.(Hey, how about Canon not supplying USB cables?
> >>>> What
> >>>
> >>> Most printers don't (and they'd need to put in a firewire one too
> >>> if I remember correctly).
> >>
> >> depends where, i suppose. I boughtt i550 and got cable included, and
> >> now when i bought ip4000 i also got cable included. Also before both
> >> Canons i bought two Lexmarks for veeery low price and cable was
> >> always included. Firewire...do you mean for digital camera? You
> >> don't use firewire, but original camera cable.
> >
> > The i9900 has both a USB interface and a FireWire interface, you
> > can use either (or by some reports, use both). Some 'pewters use
> > firewire instead of USB (Macs probably more often).
> >
> > Mike
>
> That's funny...since most( or all) PC's (except ooold ones) do have USB,
> rare ones (usually most expensive ones) have firewire, too.
> Maybe MAC's do have it more often.

Yes, I think firewire historically is more common on Macs. It's not that
rare on PC's though (may be called by it's IEEE 1394 name instead
though, "firewire" may be an Apple name). My several year old
Dell laptop has it, as does my "regular" desktop (or at least the
circuitry is on the motherboard, I don't recall if I connected
up a cable assembly to the back or not). It's more commonly
used for hooking up video cameras to one's computer.

My new film scanner that came yesterday also has the choice of
USB2 or firewire connection. But then it came with both USB
and firewire cables (but it also costed a lot more than an i9900
despite it probably costing a good bit less to manufacture,
no razor-blades to sell).

Mike
!