OC'ing a Celeron 1.7GHz

Euro_Penguin

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2005
I'm currently using a:
Celeron 1.7GHz
ECS P4VXAD 1.0
Onboard Graphics card

I wanted to know how to overclock it while still being on the safe side. My current temp is 32c. Is there a step by step guide to overclocking this CPU? Please email me at funtigo@hotmail.com

My BIOS is also telling me that I have a P4 1.7GHz and in System, it's telling me that I have a Celeron.

Seb.

Scout

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Sure, right at the top of this forum is a sicky note for P4 overclocking. Follow that guide.

Your chip is indeed based on the Pentium 4 core (hence your BIOS message) but being a Celeron it has less L2 cache and runs on a slower front side bus.

I would expect that your chip is based on the Northwood Pentium 4 core, but with only 128k of cache. You should be able to push your FSB up around 120 possibly without even increasing the CPU voltage.

Always check your overclocks with some stress testing to ensure stability... I use Prime95. And be mindful of your temperatures, especially if you increase the CPU voltage.

Zach_the_Evil

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2005
I got my 1.7 ghz Celeron up to 1.97 ghz (or in that area) before I ran into some issues. I'd have to guess you'll get similar results, probably better ones if you have some good cooling or RAM or something.

runswindows95

Distinguished
The biggest problem with OC'ing a Celeron is the lack of L2 cache. I'm running a 2.5Ghz Celeron and it only has 128K cache. Yes, go ahead and laugh. It's better than the 120Mhz P1 I was running before I bought this 3 years ago. Anyhoo, at this point, it doesn't make sense because the cache will kill you.