drives working very hard on every boot - fix required

Archived from groups: alt.os.windows2000,microsoft.public.windowsnt.registry,microsoft.public.windows.nt.setup (More info?)

Hi,
Every time w2k boots the drive is worked very hard for over a minute.
This does not happen when there are no foreign partitions on the drive.
I have w2k + a couple of linux's (multiple boot) on the same drive. I
guess w2k is sniffing the other partitions but how do I turn this off
(registry hack or what?).

tnx
roy
19 answers Last reply
More about drives working hard boot required
  1. Archived from groups: alt.os.windows2000,microsoft.public.windowsnt.registry,microsoft.public.windows.nt.setup (More info?)

    webbie wrote:

    > Hi,
    > Every time w2k boots the drive is worked very hard for over a minute.
    > This does not happen when there are no foreign partitions on the drive.
    > I have w2k + a couple of linux's (multiple boot) on the same drive. I
    > guess w2k is sniffing the other partitions but how do I turn this off
    > (registry hack or what?).
    >
    > tnx
    > roy

    FWIW I have the same situation with my Sager laptop and W2000. I don't
    have any partitions or much in the way of startup stuff - Zone alarm and
    AVG virusdeath. I've just gotten to the point that I wait until it gets
    it out of its system, though I have wondered what in the world it's
    finding to do.

    --
    The spam has finally gotten to me so I've corrupted the address above.
    Try 'yahoo'.

    Gualtier Malde (Chuck) wrote:
    > webbie wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >> Every time w2k boots the drive is worked very hard for over a minute.
    >> This does not happen when there are no foreign partitions on the drive.
    >> I have w2k + a couple of linux's (multiple boot) on the same drive. I
    >> guess w2k is sniffing the other partitions but how do I turn this off
    >> (registry hack or what?).
    >> tnx
    >> roy
    >>

    > FWIW I have the same situation with my Sager laptop and W2000. I don't
    > have any partitions or much in the way of startup stuff - Zone alarm and
    > AVG virusdeath. I've just gotten to the point that I wait until it gets
    > it out of its system, though I have wondered what in the world it's
    > finding to do.

    At boot up, W2K/XP loads "services" (lots of them), and those startup
    a/v and firewall programs. Most a/v programs do an abbreviated scan as
    soon as they have loaded, or check programs that access the 'net, etc.

    Applications are also loaded: if you have set an application to "quick
    start", most of it is loaded into RAM on boot up, which takes time (RAM
    is accessed at a _much_ lower speed than the nominal speed of the computer.)

    You can reduce boot time by reducing the number of services and
    applications started at boot. These programs also slow down overall
    system speed, since Win2K/XP is continually switching from one program
    to another.

    Explorer and Active Desktop really slow down the system. Explorer should
    be used only for web-browsing (or not at all), since most of what it
    does can be done by knowing how to use the file manager and/or shortcuts
    on a plain desktop.

    Active Desktop adds bells and whistles which you generally don't need,
    such as pretty pictures in the background - displaying these, redrawing
    them as you open and close windows, and so on, takes an astonishing
    amount of computing power.

    In fact, most of the computer's computing time is spent displaying the
    user interface and interacting with the user - the "real work" takes
    very little computing power compared to those tasks. A conservative
    estimate is that your computer spends up to 25% of its time on the user
    interface, up to 5% of its time doing useful work, and 70% or more of
    its time doing nothing. That is, when you are actually using it...

    HTH&GL
  3. Archived from groups: alt.os.windows2000,microsoft.public.windowsnt.registry,microsoft.public.windows.nt.setup (More info?)

    "Wolf Kirchmeir" <wwolfkir@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    | Gualtier Malde (Chuck) wrote:
    | > webbie wrote:
    | >
    | >> Hi,
    | >> Every time w2k boots the drive is worked very hard for over a
    minute.
    | >> This does not happen when there are no foreign partitions on the
    drive.
    | >> I have w2k + a couple of linux's (multiple boot) on the same
    drive. I
    | >> guess w2k is sniffing the other partitions but how do I turn this
    off
    | >> (registry hack or what?).
    | >> tnx
    | >> roy
    | >>

    | > FWIW I have the same situation with my Sager laptop and W2000. I
    don't
    | > have any partitions or much in the way of startup stuff - Zone
    alarm and
    | > AVG virusdeath. I've just gotten to the point that I wait until
    it gets
    | > it out of its system, though I have wondered what in the world
    it's
    | > finding to do.
    |
    | At boot up, W2K/XP loads "services" (lots of them), and those
    startup
    | a/v and firewall programs. Most a/v programs do an abbreviated scan
    as
    | soon as they have loaded, or check programs that access the 'net,
    etc.

    | Applications are also loaded: if you have set an application to
    "quick
    | start", most of it is loaded into RAM on boot up, which takes time
    (RAM
    | is accessed at a _much_ lower speed than the nominal speed of the
    computer.)

    | You can reduce boot time by reducing the number of services and
    | applications started at boot. These programs also slow down overall
    | system speed, since Win2K/XP is continually switching from one
    program
    | to another.
    |
    | Explorer and Active Desktop really slow down the system. Explorer
    should
    | be used only for web-browsing (or not at all), since most of what it
    | does can be done by knowing how to use the file manager and/or
    shortcuts
    | on a plain desktop.

    I presume you mean "Internet Explorer" should only be used for
    browsing, yet Explorer IS the file manager of the new Windows OSs. IE
    and Explorer are "integrated" applications, so I'm not certain what
    significance can be given to your recommendations as one can "browse
    the internet" from within an Explorer window. I'm uncertain as to
    whether there is a dividing line between the two applications.

    | Active Desktop adds bells and whistles which you generally don't
    need,
    | such as pretty pictures in the background - displaying these,
    redrawing
    | them as you open and close windows, and so on, takes an astonishing
    | amount of computing power.
    |
    | In fact, most of the computer's computing time is spent displaying
    the
    | user interface and interacting with the user - the "real work" takes
    | very little computing power compared to those tasks. A conservative
    | estimate is that your computer spends up to 25% of its time on the
    user
    | interface, up to 5% of its time doing useful work, and 70% or more
    of
    | its time doing nothing. That is, when you are actually using it...

    Unless you are playing games or editing videos. most systems are
    running the idle task 98 or 99 % of the time. I use this same
    computer every day for work purposes, email, documents, spreadsheets,
    web browsing, and task manager indicates for the systems "processes"
    the idle process has used 99% of the CPU over a 500 hour period of up
    time.
    --
    Best regards,
    Kyle

    [snip]

    >I presume you mean "Internet Explorer" should only be used for
    >browsing, yet Explorer IS the file manager of the new Windows OSs. IE
    >and Explorer are "integrated" applications, so I'm not certain what
    >significance can be given to your recommendations as one can "browse
    >the internet" from within an Explorer window. I'm uncertain as to
    >whether there is a dividing line between the two applications.

    Yes, people do confuse "Windows Explorer" (Windows default user
    interface) with "Internet Explorer". Possibly the poster was referring
    to those options that use IE, "Active Desktop" and "Enable Web content
    In Folders" (best turned off).

    [snip]

    "In all affairs it's a healthy thing now and then to
    hang a question mark on the things you have long taken
    for granted." -- Bertrand Russell
  5. Archived from groups: alt.os.windows2000,microsoft.public.windowsnt.registry,microsoft.public.windows.nt.setup (More info?)

    On Tue, 09 Nov 2004 10:54:07 -0500, Wolf Kirchmeir wrote:

    > Gualtier Malde (Chuck) wrote:
    >> webbie wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi,
    >>> Every time w2k boots the drive is worked very hard for over a minute.
    >>> This does not happen when there are no foreign partitions on the drive.
    >>> I have w2k + a couple of linux's (multiple boot) on the same drive. I
    >>> guess w2k is sniffing the other partitions but how do I turn this off
    >>> (registry hack or what?).
    >>> tnx
    >>> roy
    >>>

    >> FWIW I have the same situation with my Sager laptop and W2000. I don't
    >> have any partitions or much in the way of startup stuff - Zone alarm and
    >> AVG virusdeath. I've just gotten to the point that I wait until it gets
    >> it out of its system, though I have wondered what in the world it's
    >> finding to do.
    >
    > At boot up, W2K/XP loads "services" (lots of them), and those startup a/v
    > and firewall programs. Most a/v programs do an abbreviated scan as soon as
    > they have loaded, or check programs that access the 'net, etc.

    Nah! It's not any of that. Including what you write below. You see,
    XP and w2003 do none of this. Only win2k thrashes the hard drive. It's
    not what you suggest. It's something else doing it (w2k itself) and
    it is wearing out the hard drive.
    tnx
    roy

    > Applications are also loaded: if you have set an application to "quick
    > start", most of it is loaded into RAM on boot up, which takes time (RAM is
    > accessed at a _much_ lower speed than the nominal speed of the computer.)
    >
    > You can reduce boot time by reducing the number of services and
    > applications started at boot. These programs also slow down overall system
    > speed, since Win2K/XP is continually switching from one program to
    > another.
    >
    > Explorer and Active Desktop really slow down the system. Explorer should
    > be used only for web-browsing (or not at all), since most of what it does
    > can be done by knowing how to use the file manager and/or shortcuts on a
    > plain desktop.
    >
    > Active Desktop adds bells and whistles which you generally don't need,
    > such as pretty pictures in the background - displaying these, redrawing
    > them as you open and close windows, and so on, takes an astonishing amount
    > of computing power.
    >
    > In fact, most of the computer's computing time is spent displaying the
    > user interface and interacting with the user - the "real work" takes very
    > little computing power compared to those tasks. A conservative estimate is
    > that your computer spends up to 25% of its time on the user interface, up
    > to 5% of its time doing useful work, and 70% or more of its time doing
    > nothing. That is, when you are actually using it...
    >
    > HTH&GL
  6. Archived from groups: alt.os.windows2000,microsoft.public.windowsnt.registry,microsoft.public.windows.nt.setup (More info?)

    Kylesb wrote:
    [...]
    > I presume you mean "Internet Explorer" should only be used for
    > browsing, yet Explorer IS the file manager of the new Windows OSs. IE
    > and Explorer are "integrated" applications, so I'm not certain what
    > significance can be given to your recommendations as one can "browse
    > the internet" from within an Explorer window. I'm uncertain as to
    > whether there is a dividing line between the two applications.

    As I understand it, Explorer is an interface to the file manager, which
    works without it just fine. Turn off "show web content", and you'll see
    what I mean. Court judgements forced MS to change the integration of
    Explorer into the OS, so it's not necessary to use Explorer, not for
    file management, not for web browsing. You can even get rid of, but MS
    doesn't like you to do that, and it's not easy. Just don't run it.

    BTW, I just clicked "Show Web Content", and immediately got a request to
    permit Explorer to access the Internet (my firewall blocks all attempts
    at connection to the Internet by default.) I switched off Show Web
    Content, of course: if IE has web page open, the machine is vulnerable.

    > | Active Desktop adds bells and whistles which you generally don't
    > need,
    > | such as pretty pictures in the background - displaying these,
    > redrawing
    > | them as you open and close windows, and so on, takes an astonishing
    > | amount of computing power.
    [...]

    > Unless you are playing games or editing videos. most systems are
    > running the idle task 98 or 99 % of the time. I use this same
    > computer every day for work purposes, email, documents, spreadsheets,
    > web browsing, and task manager indicates for the systems "processes"
    > the idle process has used 99% of the CPU over a 500 hour period of up
    > time.

    We are saying the same thing, but from different angles.

    To get back to your boot problem: have you found out which services are
    started at boot up? Click Settings - Control Panel - Administrative
    Tools (Win2K, it's a little different for XP), and you will find a
    Services Icon. When you open that panel. All services set to "automatic"
    start when you boot or when a program needs them. There are a number you
    do not need, such as indexing. I've got a list somewhere, put it in a
    Really Logical Place, so I can't find it. :-(

    Here's the services list from my system. The items labeled "Disabled"
    would otherwise start at boot. The items labeled "manual" will start
    only if you set them to automatic. You can start any service labelled
    "manual"; it will not start otherwise. "Automatic" services are started
    at boot or when needed (eg, the services related to the Internet start
    automatically because Windows detects the need for them.) My machine
    runs fine with the setup shown. Studying it should help you decide what
    you can turn off on your machine.

    HTH&GL

    Name Description Status Startup Type Log On As

    Alerter Notifies selected users and computers of administrative
    alerts. Started Automatic LocalSystem

    Application Management Provides software installation services such as
    Assign, Publish, and Remove. Started Manual LocalSystem

    Automatic Updates Enables the download and installation of critical
    Windows updates. If the service is disabled, the operating system can be
    manually updated at the Windows Update Web site. Manual LocalSystem

    AVG6 Service Started Automatic LocalSystem

    Background Intelligent Transfer Service Transfers files in the
    background using idle network bandwidth. If the service is disabled,
    then any functions that depend on BITS, such as Windows Update or MSN
    Explorer will be unable to automatically download programs and other
    information. Manual LocalSystem

    ClipBook Supports ClipBook Viewer, which allows pages to be seen by
    remote ClipBooks. Disabled LocalSystem

    COM+ Event System Provides automatic distribution of events to
    subscribing COM components. Started Manual LocalSystem

    Computer Browser Maintains an up-to-date list of computers on your
    network and supplies the list to programs that request it. Manual
    LocalSystem

    DHCP Client Manages network configuration by registering and updating IP
    addresses and DNS names. Started Automatic LocalSystem

    Distributed Link Tracking Client Sends notifications of files moving
    between NTFS volumes in a network domain. Disabled LocalSystem

    Distributed Transaction Coordinator Coordinates transactions that are
    distributed across two or more databases, message queues, file systems,
    or other transaction protected resource managers. Manual LocalSystem

    DNS Client Resolves and caches Domain Name System (DNS) names.
    Started Automatic LocalSystem

    Event Log Logs event messages issued by programs and Windows. Event Log
    reports contain information that can be useful in diagnosing problems.
    Reports are viewed in Event Viewer. Started Automatic LocalSystem

    Fax Service Helps you send and receive faxes Manual LocalSystem

    Indexing Service Indexes contents and properties of files on local and
    remote computers; provides rapid access to files through flexible
    querying language. Manual LocalSystem

    Internet Connection Sharing Provides network address translation,
    addressing, and name resolution services for all computers on your home
    network through a dial-up connection. Started Automatic LocalSystem

    IPSEC Policy Agent Manages IP security policy and starts the
    ISAKMP/Oakley (IKE) and the IP security driver. Started Automatic
    LocalSystem

    Logical Disk Manager Logical Disk Manager Watchdog Service Started
    Automatic LocalSystem

    Logical Disk Manager Administrative Service Administrative service for
    disk management requests Manual LocalSystem

    Messenger Sends and receives messages transmitted by administrators or
    by the Alerter service. Disabled LocalSystem

    Net Logon Supports pass-through authentication of account logon events
    for computers in a domain. Manual LocalSystem

    NetMeeting Remote Desktop Sharing Allows authorized people to remotely
    access your Windows desktop using
    NetMeeting. Manual LocalSystem

    Network Connections Manages objects in the Network and Dial-Up
    Connections folder, in which you can view both local area network and
    remote connections. Started Manual LocalSystem

    Network DDE Provides network transport and security for dynamic data
    exchange (DDE). Manual LocalSystem

    Network DDE DSDM Manages shared dynamic data exchange and is used by
    Network DDE Manual LocalSystem

    NT LM Security Support Provider Provides security to remote procedure
    call (RPC) programs that use transports other than named pipes. Manual
    LocalSystem

    Panda anti-virus service Manual LocalSystem

    Performance Logs and Alerts Configures performance logs and alerts.
    Manual LocalSystem

    Plug and Play Manages device installation and configuration and notifies
    programs of device changes. Started Automatic LocalSystem

    Portable Media Serial Number Service Retrieves the serial number of any
    portable media player connected to this computer. If this service is
    stopped, protected content might not be down loaded to the device.
    Manual LocalSystem

    PPPoE Service Started Automatic LocalSystem

    Print Spooler Loads files to memory for later printing. Started
    Automatic LocalSystem

    Protected Storage Provides protected storage for sensitive data, such as
    private keys, to prevent access by unauthorized services, processes,
    or users. Started Automatic LocalSystem

    QoS RSVP Provides network signaling and local traffic control setup
    functionality for QoS-aware programs and control applets. Manual
    LocalSystem

    Remote Access Auto Connection Manager Creates a connection to a remote
    network whenever a program references a remote DNS or NetBIOS name or
    address. Started Automatic LocalSystem

    Remote Access Connection Manager Creates a network connection.
    Started Manual LocalSystem

    Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Provides the endpoint mapper and other
    miscellaneous RPC services. Started Automatic LocalSystem

    Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Locator Manages the RPC name service
    database. Manual LocalSystem

    Remote Registry Service Allows remote registry manipulation. Manual
    LocalSystem

    Removable Storage Manages removable media, drives, and libraries.
    Manual LocalSystem

    Routing and Remote Access Offers routing services to businesses in local
    area and wide area network environments. Disabled LocalSystem

    RunAs Service Enables starting processes under alternate credentials
    Started Automatic LocalSystem

    Security Accounts Manager Stores security information for local user
    accounts. Started Automatic LocalSystem

    Server Provides RPC support and file, print, and named pipe sharing.
    Started Automatic LocalSystem

    Smart Card Manages and controls access to a smart card inserted into a
    smart card reader attached to the computer. Manual LocalSystem

    Smart Card Helper Provides support for legacy smart card readers
    attached to the computer. Manual LocalSystem

    Still Image Service Manual LocalSystem

    System Event Notification Tracks system events such as Windows logon,
    network, and power events. Notifies COM+ Event System subscribers of
    these events. Started Automatic LocalSystem

    Task Scheduler Enables a program to run at a designated time. Started
    Automatic LocalSystem

    TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper Service Enables support for NetBIOS over TCP/IP
    (NetBT) service and NetBIOS name resolution. Disabled LocalSystem

    Telephony Provides Telephony API (TAPI) support for programs that
    control telephony devices and IP based voice connections on the local
    computer and, through the LAN, on servers that are also running the
    service. Started Manual LocalSystem

    Telnet Allows a remote user to log on to the system and run console
    programs using the command line. Manual LocalSystem

    TrueVector Internet Monitor Monitors internet traffic and generates
    alerts for disallowed access. Started Automatic LocalSystem

    Uninterruptible Power Supply Manages an uninterruptible power supply
    (UPS) connected to the computer. Manual LocalSystem

    Utility Manager Starts and configures accessibility tools from one
    window Manual LocalSystem

    Windows Installer Installs, repairs and removes software according to
    instructions contained in .MSI files. Manual LocalSystem

    Windows Management Instrumentation Provides system management
    information. Started Automatic LocalSystem

    Windows Management Instrumentation Driver Extensions Provides systems
    management information to and from drivers. Started Manual LocalSystem

    Windows Time Sets the computer clock. Manual LocalSystem

    Wireless Configuration Provides authenticated network access control
    using IEEE 802.1x for wired and wireless
    Ethernet networks. Manual LocalSystem

    Workstation Provides network connections and communications. Started
    Automatic LocalSystem
  7. Archived from groups: alt.os.windows2000,microsoft.public.windowsnt.registry,microsoft.public.windows.nt.setup (More info?)

    | Kylesb wrote:
    | [...]
    | > I presume you mean "Internet Explorer" should only be used for
    | > browsing, yet Explorer IS the file manager of the new Windows OSs.
    IE
    | > and Explorer are "integrated" applications, so I'm not certain
    what
    | > significance can be given to your recommendations as one can
    "browse
    | > the internet" from within an Explorer window. I'm uncertain as to
    | > whether there is a dividing line between the two applications.
    |
    | As I understand it, Explorer is an interface to the file manager,
    which
    | works without it just fine. Turn off "show web content", and you'll
    see
    | what I mean. Court judgements forced MS to change the integration of
    | Explorer into the OS, so it's not necessary to use Explorer, not for
    | file management, not for web browsing. You can even get rid of, but
    MS
    | doesn't like you to do that, and it's not easy. Just don't run it.

    I'll say it again, Explorer IS the file manager program for win2k, not
    an "interface" thereto. Further, you can have active desktop disabled
    and "show web content" disabled, yet still be able to magically
    transform a dumbed down explorer window (e.g., I have 1 folder on my
    desktop named "all my stuff" that contains only program shortcuts or
    folders having program shortcuts therein, I use this system to keep my
    desktop cleaned up) into an IE web browser window like so: "enable"
    the "standard" toolbar by merely right-clicking on the Explorer menu
    and enabling "standard buttons". Further, with the standard buttons
    toolbar enabled, the "internet favorites" will now appear as an item
    in the standard toolbar, and one can mouse-click on an internet
    favorite, and voila, your Explorer window that was providing a folder
    view is now displaying an internet page. The bottom line is Explorer
    and IE are still tightly integrated in win2k, don't let the unsettled
    dust of an anti-trust lawsuit fool you into believing something
    different from what your eyes may perceive.

    Here is one way to "test" the above:

    1. Create a folder on your desktop and double click on it, this will
    open a single pane Explorer window. Disable active desktop and web
    content for the folder (if not already disabled).

    2 open up the computer management console and view the System
    Information/Software Environment/Running Tasks info and make note of
    the Explorer tasks running and their process IDs.

    3. Right click the menu area in your opened Explorer folder whose
    contents are shown in an Explorer window, enable the "standard
    buttons" then find the internet favorites menu items and click on a
    web page link, the web page opens in the existing Explorer window.

    4. Refresh the view of the "running tasks" list, you'll see that the
    process IDs for Explorer are unchanged, yet what was an Explorer
    folder view window is now magically an IE web browser window, proof
    positive that Explorer and IE are one and the same.

    Now, if you are still a non-believer in what I say, click the "back"
    button on the std toolbar, disable the std toolbar and tell me if you
    see the original Explorer view of your desktop folder, now check the
    process IDs for Explorer, still unchanged eh?

    Here's an easier one: open IE and type the following in the "address"
    bar text box: "c:\" . Now, press "enter" and your IE window will
    magically transform into an Explorer window without ever being closed.

    Anyone still think that IE and Explorer are not "tightly integrated"?

    | BTW, I just clicked "Show Web Content", and immediately got a
    request to
    | permit Explorer to access the Internet (my firewall blocks all
    attempts
    | at connection to the Internet by default.) I switched off Show Web
    | Content, of course: if IE has web page open, the machine is
    vulnerable.

    | > | Active Desktop adds bells and whistles which you generally don't
    | > need,
    | > | such as pretty pictures in the background - displaying these,
    | > redrawing
    | > | them as you open and close windows, and so on, takes an
    astonishing
    | > | amount of computing power.
    | [...]
    |
    | > Unless you are playing games or editing videos. most systems are
    | > running the idle task 98 or 99 % of the time. I use this same
    | > computer every day for work purposes, email, documents,
    spreadsheets,
    | > web browsing, and task manager indicates for the systems
    "processes"
    | > the idle process has used 99% of the CPU over a 500 hour period of
    up
    | > time.
    |
    | We are saying the same thing, but from different angles.

    Perhaps. I only made that comment b/c your estimates were inaccurate,
    remarkably, the idle task runs nearly all of the time on most
    machines.

    --
    Best regards,
    Kyle

    Doesn't anybody listen anymore???

    I said it's friggin w2k sniffing other partitions. It aint no friggin
    normal services firing up AVG or indexing whatever. I know all about
    services. I switch all the cruddy ones off. ALWAYS.

    Just admit you have no idea and stop wasting my time. Good grief - I'm
    beginning to think you may be MS shills after all the reddherrings and
    straw men I get in reply to my query!

    Thanks but no thanks.

    My O/P is very clear and details the problem exactly.

    roy

    On Tue, 09 Nov 2004 19:36:33 -0500, Wolf Kirchmeir wrote:

> [...]
    > connected to the computer. Manual LocalSystem
    >
    > Utility Manager Starts and configures accessibility tools from one window
    > Manual LocalSystem
    >
    > Windows Installer Installs, repairs and removes software according to
    > instructions contained in .MSI files. Manual LocalSystem
    >
    > Windows Management Instrumentation Provides system management information.
    > Started Automatic LocalSystem
    >
    > Windows Management Instrumentation Driver Extensions Provides systems
    > management information to and from drivers. Started Manual LocalSystem
    >
    > Windows Time Sets the computer clock. Manual LocalSystem
    >
    > Wireless Configuration Provides authenticated network access control using
    > IEEE 802.1x for wired and wireless Ethernet networks. Manual LocalSystem
    >
    > Workstation Provides network connections and communications. Started
  9. Archived from groups: alt.os.windows2000,microsoft.public.windowsnt.registry,microsoft.public.windows.nt.setup (More info?)

    "webbie" <grinch_webster@nomail.invalid> wrote in message
    | Doesn't anybody listen anymore???
    |
    | I said it's friggin w2k sniffing other partitions. It aint no
    friggin
    | normal services firing up AVG or indexing whatever. I know all about
    | services. I switch all the cruddy ones off. ALWAYS.
    |
    | Just admit you have no idea and stop wasting my time. Good grief -
    I'm
    | beginning to think you may be MS shills after all the reddherrings
    and
    | straw men I get in reply to my query!
    |
    | Thanks but no thanks.
    |
    | My O/P is very clear and details the problem exactly.
    |
    | roy

    Get Filemon from www.Sysinternals.com and make it a startup item if
    you want to diagnose what the HD activity might be attributable to. I
    recommend you disable your other startup items to make certain Filemon
    is the only startup process.

    Sorry to have mucked up your thread, heh.

    --
    Best regards,
    Kyle

    Must correct my errors below.

    --
    Best regards,
    Kyle
    "Kylesb" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
    | "Wolf Kirchmeir" <wwolfkir@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    | | Kylesb wrote:
    | | [...]
    | | > I presume you mean "Internet Explorer" should only be used for
    | | > browsing, yet Explorer IS the file manager of the new Windows
    OSs.
    | IE
    | | > and Explorer are "integrated" applications, so I'm not certain
    | what
    | | > significance can be given to your recommendations as one can
    | "browse
    | | > the internet" from within an Explorer window. I'm uncertain as
    | | > whether there is a dividing line between the two applications.
    | |
> [...]
    |
    | 4. Refresh the view of the "running tasks" list, you'll see that the
    | process IDs for Explorer are unchanged, yet what was an Explorer
    | folder view window is now magically an IE web browser window, proof
    | positive that Explorer and IE are one and the same.
    |
    | Now, if you are still a non-believer in what I say, click the "back"
    | button on the std toolbar, disable the std toolbar and tell me if
    you
    | see the original Explorer view of your desktop folder, now check the
    | process IDs for Explorer, still unchanged eh?
    |
    | Here's an easier one: open IE and type the following in the
    "address"
    | bar text box: "c:\" . Now, press "enter" and your IE window will
    | magically transform into an Explorer window without ever being
    closed.

    | Anyone still think that IE and Explorer are not "tightly

    Hehe, now that it's not so late at night and I'm awake, I see that
    "favorites" is a menu entry in any Explorer menu, so one need not
    enable the standary toolbar to do what I'm describing in this post.
  11. Archived from groups: alt.os.windows2000,microsoft.public.windowsnt.registry,microsoft.public.windows.nt.setup (More info?)

    Kylesb wrote:
    [...]
    > I'll say it again, Explorer IS the file manager program for win2k, not
    > an "interface" thereto. Further, you can have active desktop disabled
    > and "show web content" disabled, yet still be able to magically
    > transform a dumbed down explorer window (e.g., I have 1 folder on my
    > desktop named "all my stuff" that contains only program shortcuts or
    > folders having program shortcuts therein, I use this system to keep my
    > desktop cleaned up) into an IE web browser window like so: "enable"
    > the "standard" toolbar by merely right-clicking on the Explorer menu
    > and enabling "standard buttons". Further, with the standard buttons
    > toolbar enabled, the "internet favorites" will now appear as an item
    > in the standard toolbar, and one can mouse-click on an internet
    > favorite, and voila, your Explorer window that was providing a folder
    > view is now displaying an internet page. The bottom line is Explorer
    > and IE are still tightly integrated in win2k, don't let the unsettled
    > dust of an anti-trust lawsuit fool you into believing something
    > different from what your eyes may perceive.

    Well, I think we're talking past each other - using different terms for
    same functions and same words for different functions. That function you
    just described is an interface function in my parlance, since it changes
    the look and feel of the window (why a window should like an Internet
    page is a something I've never fathomed. But then, I don't buy vinyl
    stickers to make my sedan look like a sports car either. :-))

    Net capability is not a file manager function in my parlance, either,
    and, again, I fail to see why a file manager should be able to access
    the 'net. Dangerous, that, it's one of the main holes by which viruses
    and other such trash enter your computer.

    But there's no point in quibbling about this. Bottom line is that those
    functions just slow down the system, and I don't use them. I think one
    should be able to turn them off permanently. IOW, since I don't use IE,
    I should be able to get rid of it totally, including its connections
    with the file manager. I can only get rid of it partially, since it is
    "integrated" with W2K (which I never denied, BTW.)

    Anyhow, if you want a faster system, turn off as many of those add-ons
    as possible. Stick with the basic file-manager functions, and ignore all
    that pretty stuff - it's not needed.

    Now if there was a way to eliminate My Documents and all those other
    default folders, I'd be really happy. Then I wouldn't have to tell some
    dumb-ass program _not_ to use those defaults. I want to set up folders
    my way, not MS's way. Got a fix for that? What really frosts me is that
    I can't even move them off my desktop into an "I don't need this junk"
    folder. Bah!
  12. Archived from groups: alt.os.windows2000,microsoft.public.windowsnt.registry,microsoft.public.windows.nt.setup (More info?)

    webbie wrote:
    > Doesn't anybody listen anymore???
    >
    > I said it's friggin w2k sniffing other partitions. [snip]

    Well, sure, but the question is why. If it's jsut trying to find them to
    decide which are accessible, it shouldn't take that long. It does
    exactly the same thing every time open My Computer, and then it also
    reads the directories and sorts tme for display, which adds time, yet it
    still takes only 5-10 seocnds on my machine (7 partitions, of which 2
    are NTFS and one is FAT 16; the others areblank or other OSs).

    IMO, something else is going on. I suggested it was your firewall and
    A/V software doing stuff, since that what mine does: I installed Panda
    (free version), and boot now takes about 1 minute longer - Panda is
    scanning for viruses on boot, which is its default. HD is buzzing like
    an drunken bee while this is going on.

    When this W2K was a fresh install (before misc. software was installed)
    boot took about 30 seconds. Then afger instralling a variety of apps,
    and before Panda, it took about 2 minutes. It now takes about 3 minutes.
    That should tell you something.
  13. Archived from groups: alt.os.windows2000,microsoft.public.windowsnt.registry,microsoft.public.windows.nt.setup (More info?)

    | Anyhow, if you want a faster system, turn off as many of those
    add-ons
    | as possible. Stick with the basic file-manager functions, and ignore
    all
    | that pretty stuff - it's not needed.
    |
    | Now if there was a way to eliminate My Documents and all those other
    | default folders, I'd be really happy. Then I wouldn't have to tell
    some
    | dumb-ass program _not_ to use those defaults. I want to set up
    folders
    | my way, not MS's way. Got a fix for that? What really frosts me is
    that
    | I can't even move them off my desktop into an "I don't need this
    junk"
    | folder. Bah!

    I'm in total agreement with these statements, lol.

    --
    Best regards,
    Kyle

    On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 14:36:29 -0500, "Kylesb" <me@privacy.net> wrote:

    >"Wolf Kirchmeir" <wwolfkir@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    >| Anyhow, if you want a faster system, turn off as many of those
    >add-ons
    >| as possible. Stick with the basic file-manager functions, and ignore
    >all
    >| that pretty stuff - it's not needed.
    >|
    >| Now if there was a way to eliminate My Documents and all those other
    >| default folders, I'd be really happy. Then I wouldn't have to tell
    >some
    >| dumb-ass program _not_ to use those defaults. I want to set up
    >folders
    >| my way, not MS's way. Got a fix for that? What really frosts me is
    >that
    >| I can't even move them off my desktop into an "I don't need this
    >junk"
    >| folder. Bah!
    >

    >I'm in total agreement with these statements, lol.

    You can move "My Documents" to the recycle bin. It's one of the first
    things I do after installing Windows.

    As to the programs' defaults, some can be changed by changing "start
    in" in the program's properties. Anyway it should stay when you change
    it (when saving a file from the program).

    I never use any of the "My*" folders (which should still be called
    'directories' like they used to be. 'Folders' sounds like UN-progress)
    intentionally.

    "In all affairs it's a healthy thing now and then to
    hang a question mark on the things you have long taken
    for granted." -- Bertrand Russell
  15. Archived from groups: alt.os.windows2000,microsoft.public.windowsnt.registry,microsoft.public.windows.nt.setup (More info?)

    On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 10:56:28 -0500, Wolf Kirchmeir wrote:

    > webbie wrote:
    >> Doesn't anybody listen anymore???
    >>
    >> I said it's friggin w2k sniffing other partitions. [snip]
    >
    > Well, sure, but the question is why. If it's jsut trying to find them to
    > decide which are accessible, it shouldn't take that long. It does exactly
    > the same thing every time open My Computer, and then it also reads the
    > directories and sorts tme for display, which adds time, yet it still takes
    > only 5-10 seocnds on my machine (7 partitions, of which 2 are NTFS and one
    > is FAT 16; the others areblank or other OSs).
    >
    > IMO, something else is going on. I suggested it was your firewall and A/V
    > software doing stuff, since that what mine does: I installed Panda (free
    > version), and boot now takes about 1 minute longer - Panda is scanning for
    > viruses on boot, which is its default. HD is buzzing like an drunken bee
    > while this is going on.
    >
    > When this W2K was a fresh install (before misc. software was installed)
    > boot took about 30 seconds. Then afger instralling a variety of apps, and
    > before Panda, it took about 2 minutes. It now takes about 3 minutes.
    > That should tell you something.

    I appreciate what you say and I will uninstall all that stuff BUT
    I don't get this problem with xp but I don't want xp. I want to
    fix 2000. Because this head thrashing does not happen with xp (same
    installed apps/antivirus etc)I am of the mind that it is 2000 causing
    it directly.
  16. Archived from groups: alt.os.windows2000,microsoft.public.windowsnt.registry,microsoft.public.windows.nt.setup (More info?)

    webbie wrote:
    [...]
    > I appreciate what you say and I will uninstall all that stuff BUT
    > I don't get this problem with xp but I don't want xp. I want to
    > fix 2000. Because this head thrashing does not happen with xp (same
    > installed apps/antivirus etc)I am of the mind that it is 2000 causing
    > it directly.

    Ah, well, the only fix is to upgrade to XP. It boots faster than W2K
    because it doesn't do what W2K does during boot, is all. IIRC, it
    doesn't load a whole bunch of *.dlls, etc.

    Pity, but there it is.
  17. Archived from groups: alt.os.windows2000,microsoft.public.windowsnt.registry,microsoft.public.windows.nt.setup (More info?)

    My 2000 Pro loads a lot faster than my XP. 2000 takes about 40 seconds to
    get me the logon screen, and another 15 seconds to get the desktop loaded
    and all other programs at startup after logon screen. XP takes about 5
    minutes or more, and sometimes have to restart several times to get
    everything to load and start right.

    Larry
    Unlock the Universe

    | webbie wrote:
    | [...]
    | >
    | > I appreciate what you say and I will uninstall all that stuff BUT
    | > I don't get this problem with xp but I don't want xp. I want to
    | > fix 2000. Because this head thrashing does not happen with xp (same
    | > installed apps/antivirus etc)I am of the mind that it is 2000 causing
    | > it directly.
    |
    | Ah, well, the only fix is to upgrade to XP. It boots faster than W2K
    | because it doesn't do what W2K does during boot, is all. IIRC, it
    | doesn't load a whole bunch of *.dlls, etc.
    |
    | Pity, but there it is.
  18. Archived from groups: alt.os.windows2000,microsoft.public.windowsnt.registry,microsoft.public.windows.nt.setup (More info?)

    On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 10:18:11 -0500, Kylesb wrote:

    > "webbie" <grinch_webster@nomail.invalid> wrote in message
    > | Doesn't anybody listen anymore???
    > |
    > | I said it's friggin w2k sniffing other partitions. It aint no
    > friggin
    > | normal services firing up AVG or indexing whatever. I know all about
    > | services. I switch all the cruddy ones off. ALWAYS.
    > |
    > | Just admit you have no idea and stop wasting my time. Good grief -
    > I'm
    > | beginning to think you may be MS shills after all the reddherrings
    > and
    > | straw men I get in reply to my query!
    > |
    > | Thanks but no thanks.
    > |
    > | My O/P is very clear and details the problem exactly.
    > |
    > | roy
    > |

    > Get Filemon from www.Sysinternals.com and make it a startup item if you
    > want to diagnose what the HD activity might be attributable to. I
    > recommend you disable your other startup items to make certain Filemon is
    > the only startup process.
    >
    > Sorry to have mucked up your thread, heh.

    Thanks. I'll certainly give that a try.
  19. Archived from groups: alt.os.windows2000,microsoft.public.windowsnt.registry,microsoft.public.windows.nt.setup (More info?)

    Larry Crites wrote:
    > My 2000 Pro loads a lot faster than my XP. 2000 takes about 40 seconds to
    > get me the logon screen, and another 15 seconds to get the desktop loaded
    > and all other programs at startup after logon screen. XP takes about 5
    > minutes or more, and sometimes have to restart several times to get
    > everything to load and start right.
    >
    > Larry
    > Unlock the Universe

    Weird. Mebbe there should a be newsgroup "Win200/XP wierdness reports."
    We could have a lot of fun competing for The Weirdest Thing Happened
    With My System.
    HAH!

Microsoft Boot Registry Windows