Program File Registry Entries

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.registry (More info?)

Good Day,

What is the best way to clean my registry of program entries that are no
longer installed on my computer (HKEY_LOCAL_Machine > Software). When I look
at this section of my registry I am seeing files that have been long
uninstalled.

Thanks,

Brook

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.registry (More info?)

What problem does this cause? Unless you have some compelling reason it's
always best to leave the registry intact.

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Brook" wrote:
| Good Day,
|
| What is the best way to clean my registry of program entries that are no
| longer installed on my computer (HKEY_LOCAL_Machine > Software). When I
look
| at this section of my registry I am seeing files that have been long
| uninstalled.
|
| Thanks,
|
| Brook

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.registry (More info?)

The reason that I would like to clean this, is because I try out a lot of
sharewares/freewares and would like to just clean the entries of the programs
that I no longer use, just a simple PC cleaning is all.

Brook

"Dave Patrick" wrote:

> What problem does this cause? Unless you have some compelling reason it's
> always best to leave the registry intact.
>
> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "Brook" wrote:
> | Good Day,
> |
> | What is the best way to clean my registry of program entries that are no
> | longer installed on my computer (HKEY_LOCAL_Machine > Software). When I
> look
> | at this section of my registry I am seeing files that have been long
> | uninstalled.
> |
> | Thanks,
> |
> | Brook

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.registry (More info?)

The best approach would be to get a list from the application developer or
just restore the registry from a backup.

--

"Brook" wrote:
| The reason that I would like to clean this, is because I try out a lot of
| sharewares/freewares and would like to just clean the entries of the
programs
| that I no longer use, just a simple PC cleaning is all.
|
| Brook

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.registry (More info?)

I don't understand what you mean by get a list from the application developer?

Brook

"Dave Patrick" wrote:

> The best approach would be to get a list from the application developer or
> just restore the registry from a backup.
>
> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "Brook" wrote:
> | The reason that I would like to clean this, is because I try out a lot of
> | sharewares/freewares and would like to just clean the entries of the
> programs
> | that I no longer use, just a simple PC cleaning is all.
> |
> | Brook

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.registry (More info?)

Greetings!
First I would run the uninstal of the program you have tried, if available.
But sometimes there is no uninstall or it leaves entries in Registry you
don't need. There are tools that search and clean up Registry.
I'd like to recommend a program I wrote, RegmagiK. It is a registry editor,
like regedit, but it has an additional feature that you can use to solve (at
least partially) your problem. This feature is called List Invalid CLSIDs
and can be started from menu Tools. It will list all registry subkeys of
CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID that point to non-existing dlls and therefore do not do
anything but slow down your PC. Each key will be displayed together with
the invalid path (usually DLL file that has been deleted) it points to. You
can then review this list and delete all or some entries.

If you like to clean up even more you can use another feature - jump to
GUID. If you see an icon next to GUID you can click on it. It it finds a
match, it takes you to the matching key that defines the type library and
usually you can determine that it is related to the program you removed and
remove the typelibrary key from your Registry.

I can provide you with more help if you reply to this message.

- Boris
www.RegmagiK.com, The Registry Editor