Edit a saved registry

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.registry (More info?)

Hi

I saved my old Windows 98 registry files before upgrading to XP. I have
a game that stores the scores, etc in the registry and I would like to
get the registry keys from the saved Windows 98 registry and import them
into my current XP registry.

Can this be done and if so how?

Thanks
Tim

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.registry (More info?)

In article <cokais$30e9$1@custnews.inweb.co.uk>,
tim@get.rid.of.this.the-sampsons.co.uk says...
> Hi
>
> I saved my old Windows 98 registry files before upgrading to XP. I have
> a game that stores the scores, etc in the registry and I would like to
> get the registry keys from the saved Windows 98 registry and import them
> into my current XP registry.
>
> Can this be done and if so how?
>
> Thanks
> Tim

A program called Registry Workshop can be located at
http://www.torchsoft.com/index.html
You can open any file of .reg type. You can check the data just as if
you were in regedit. If all is the way you want it. Then just export
what you want, exit Registry Workshop, and double click on the export
reg files.
Dave

David Smith wrote:

> A program called Registry Workshop can be located at
> http://www.torchsoft.com/index.html
> You can open any file of .reg type. You can check the data just as if
> you were in regedit. If all is the way you want it. Then just export
> what you want, exit Registry Workshop, and double click on the export
> reg files.
> Dave

It's not a .reg file, it's a saved copy of the Windows 98 registry, ie
SYSTEM.DAT and USER.DAT.

As it happens though, I managed to copy the files to a redundant PC and
used regedit in DOS to convert the registry to a text file.
Unfortunately, the data that I thought was in their wasn't!

Cheers
Tim

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.registry (More info?)

Hi,
run Regedit,click "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" first,then chose "File"--"Load Config
Unit"

--
~~With best wishes~~
--Heelen Diyond--

"Tim Sampson" <tim@get.rid.of.this.the-sampsons.co.uk>
??????:coq20g$1lfh$2@custnews.inweb.co.uk...
> David Smith wrote:
>
> > A program called Registry Workshop can be located at
> > http://www.torchsoft.com/index.html
> > You can open any file of .reg type. You can check the data just as if
> > you were in regedit. If all is the way you want it. Then just export
> > what you want, exit Registry Workshop, and double click on the export
> > reg files.
> > Dave
>
> It's not a .reg file, it's a saved copy of the Windows 98 registry, ie
> SYSTEM.DAT and USER.DAT.
>
> As it happens though, I managed to copy the files to a redundant PC and
> used regedit in DOS to convert the registry to a text file.
> Unfortunately, the data that I thought was in their wasn't!
>
> Cheers
> Tim

william

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.registry (More info?)

I have the same problem. I have some old BINARY registry files (from an
XP machine) and would like to convert them into .reg format (the format
you see in regedit). I.e., there's some stuff in that registry I'd like
to be able to import into my current one.

I assume Registry Workshop only works with .reg files, not binary ones.

Is there a utility that does this?

Thanks.

TRENDING THREADS