SD card - all files disappeared

September 2, 2004 11:14:01 PM

I have a 512 MB SD card (Viking), which has been working fine for
weeks until now. Suddenly, whether viewed on my PPC with Resco
Explorer, or with my card reader and PC, all the files have
disappeared. (Except for a couple of 0-byte file, one the familiar
ignore_my_docs, and the other oddly called 'ance'.) Yet if I view the
card's Properties from My Computer, that shows most of the space is
used.

Anyone with any idea what might have happened please? More important,
any recovery suggestions?

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK
Using iPAQ 2210 with WM2003.

More about : card files disappeared

Anonymous
September 3, 2004 12:24:29 AM

Terry Pinnell <terrypin@dial.pipex.com> wrote:

>I have a 512 MB SD card (Viking), which has been working fine for
>weeks until now. Suddenly, whether viewed on my PPC with Resco
>Explorer, or with my card reader and PC, all the files have
>disappeared. (Except for a couple of 0-byte file, one the familiar
>ignore_my_docs, and the other oddly called 'ance'.) Yet if I view the
>card's Properties from My Computer, that shows most of the space is
>used.
>
>Anyone with any idea what might have happened please? More important,
>any recovery suggestions?

I've accepted defeat and re-formatted. Music will be easy, but not the
task of re-installing the score of progs that I also had on the SD
card, to relieve pressure on Main Memory.

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK
Using iPAQ 2210 with WM2003.

Reply to message from Terry Pinnell <terrypin@dial.pipex.com> (Thu, 02 Sep
2004 15:24:29) about "Re: SD card - all files disappeared":

TP> Terry Pinnell <terrypin@dial.pipex. com> wrote:

>> I have a 512 MB SD card (Viking), which has been working fine for weeks
>> until now. Suddenly, whether viewed on my PPC with Resco Explorer, or
>> with my card reader and PC, all the files have disappeared. (Except for
>> a couple of 0- byte file, one the familiar ignore_my_ docs, and the
>> other oddly called 'ance'.) Yet if I view the card's Properties from My
>> Computer, that shows most of the space is used.

>> Anyone with any idea what might have happened please? More important,
>> any recovery suggestions?

TP> I've accepted defeat and re- formatted. Music will be easy, but not
TP> the task of re-installing the score of progs that I also had on the SD
TP> card, to relieve pressure on Main Memory.

TP> --
TP> Terry, West Sussex, UK Using iPAQ
TP> 2210 with WM2003.

Terry, I've had the same thing happen to me with a 512 MB card. I wound up
doing the reformat and reinstall dance too. Now I meke a backup of the card
every couple of days by puttingeit in my card reader and copying the
contents to my PC. live and learn!

Don

Fri, 03 Sep 2004 20:43:13 -0400

September 4, 2004 3:48:42 AM

Terry Pinnell <terrypin@dial.pipex.com> of wrote:

>Terry Pinnell <terrypin@dial.pipex.com> wrote:
>
>>I have a 512 MB SD card (Viking), which has been working fine for
>>weeks until now. Suddenly, whether viewed on my PPC with Resco
>>Explorer, or with my card reader and PC, all the files have
>>disappeared. (Except for a couple of 0-byte file, one the familiar
>>ignore_my_docs, and the other oddly called 'ance'.) Yet if I view the
>>card's Properties from My Computer, that shows most of the space is
>>used.
>>
>>Anyone with any idea what might have happened please? More important,
>>any recovery suggestions?
>
>I've accepted defeat and re-formatted. Music will be easy, but not the
>task of re-installing the score of progs that I also had on the SD
>card, to relieve pressure on Main Memory.

For next time (and if my experience is any guide, there will be a next time)
keep a copy of the permanent contents of your card on your PC. Using a card
reader to do the copying will speed up the process and avoid conversion
problems.
--
Wickedness is a myth invented by good people to account for the curious
attractiveness of others. - Oscar Wilde

Donald E. Stidwell <don_llll_stidwell@nospam.yahoo.com> wrote:

>Terry, I've had the same thing happen to me with a 512 MB card. I wound up
>doing the reformat and reinstall dance too. Now I meke a backup of the card
>every couple of days by puttingeit in my card reader and copying the
>contents to my PC. live and learn!

Steph, Don: Thanks both. Looks like I too will be doing a regular
backup from now on.

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK
Using iPAQ 2210 with WM2003.