heat problems with amd3700?

parlee

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2005
i have an amd64 3700+ socket 754 and its idle temp is 49 C, i alt tabbed while playing fear and it was at 59 C, i IMed a friend and it went up to 63 C is this very hot or is it normal? i have a thermaltake silent cooler or somthing... is that not big enough to cool my proc?

endyen

Splendid
That does sound too hot for an Amd.
You may have been better off going with the stock cooler.
It could also be that you are getting bad readings, or that the hsf clips are not fully engaged.
Try taking the side cover off, and see what happens to your temps first.
When you come back, give a little more info, like when you last cleaned the hsf, what mobo you have, and how your case fans are set up. Also say if you had trouble installing the TT hsf.

parlee

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2005
just finished a 2 hour game of wow, exit game and temp is 53 C, as i look (literally 15 sec later) it says 49 C (i opened the side but it usually cools down just as quick)... was playing fear last night temp got up into 60's C i believe... i think my hsf isnt powerful enough for this proc, side is open i have 7 fans in my case (1 pci fan, video card fan, 2 x 120mm, 2 ps fans, 1 cpu fan) and lowest ive ever seen it is 49, so my guess is either the hsf isnt powerful enough or the reading is off... help?!

parlee

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2005
ive been alt tabbing during wow when im just sittign around waiting for stuff to happen, ive had speedfan up too looking at the temps.. within 3 sec of alt tabbing the temp will drop from 59C ish to 50 C... i duno why this is cause wow is still up its just minimized? i duno if they all do that, maybe the temp reading is off? i duno...

Harpreet

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2004
thats serious hot.your cpu goes upto 60C.you need to have some checkups. firstly check if your cpu is being overclocked.To switch it off just enter the bios and disable the overclock function.NEXT switch back to your boxed cooler.

parlee

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2005
i have a chaintech mobo so it doesnt let u overclock at all, this was a processor only cpu so it didnt come with a box hsf, should i look into getting a pure copper one or what?

Harpreet

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2004
A silent heatsinkfan normally has a lesser RPM.So these types of coolers generally decrease the noise but increase the cpu temp.
So you need to get another cooler.I think a standard one(Alluminium) would be more then enough to bring your cpu below 45degree

Admiral_Cecil

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2005
Hello,

My 3700+ ranges from 89-96 F. I'm using Thermaltake's Silent Boost with artic silver. 1mb cache cpu or more tend to give off a little more heat.

parlee

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2005
i have that same heatsink... but i used the paste that came with it... should i go buy some atric silver and reapply, if so how do u take off the paste thats already on?... i suppose i can try to see if the hs isnt on properly...

Admiral_Cecil

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2005
Hello,

Well normally you use rubbing alcohol to take off the silver since it is safe on metals. Now on the cpu, becareful not to discharge any static.

If the paste is already on the cpu, it is still safe to apply a small amount of artic silver (you don't need a lot) on the center of the cpu and then re-apply your fan.

Also a well ventilated case can help too.

parlee

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2005
well that might be a problem too... i never applied the paste to the actual heatsink, i only put it on the cpu (as u can see ive never done tis before) is that bad, should i not be playing rightn ow?... and since my comp is running stable even at these temps im just gonna get new paste, if that, or just apply some to the hsf... another quick question, how is artic silver better than other thermal pastes.. what does it actually do to cool down a processor.. and how many degrees do i stand to drop from the cheap stuff that came with the hsf

baracuda73

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2005
Upgrade and buy a thermaltake Big Typhoon, they are quiet and cool very well. I have one on my 3800+ overclocked 20% and it never gets above 50 C. AMDs die temp is about 75 C.

endyen

Splendid
My first post was just a preliminary, but it looks like I was right on all counts.
First thing for you to do is change one of those 120mm fans to blow in. With all those fans blowing out, theyt are just fighting each other.
The chaintech boards do read a little high, so things aren't that bad.
See if you can get an AVC fan that is rated for a 4000+. That would be the model that AMD uses as stock, for the A64s. It should be about $10 to $20.
It is important to keep the hs fins clean, no matter what cooler you are using. I use a good paint brush (natural hair) every 3 or 4 months. Taking the fan off helps make it easier. Just make sure the power switch on the psu is off. (pushing the power button on front does nothing) That way you are electrically isolated, but still have a good ground connection.

parlee

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2005
ok so i have 1 thermaltake fan that came with the case, which is now in the front sucking in air, i have another 1 i bought at best buy that does somthin like 70 cfm blowing out the hot air, well it would if there was any, the air its blowing out is literally chilly. i TOUCHED the heatpipes on my heatsink (which im guessing should at least be warm) they arent, they are at most luke warm... so my guesses are that the heatpipes are messed up? or that the readings are just really off, i have the chaintech digidoc thing that says cpu is 49 AND speedfan says its 49 as i type, not overclocked at all 2.4 stock settings for 754 3700+... im out of ideas, i took off the heatsink and got all the dust out of it... is there a program i can run that will test to see if my comp overheats? i say the folding at home thing or whatever? where can i download that...

also forgot to add, i have a chaintech vnf3 mobo socket 754 agp
cleaned out the heatsink today literally 5 min ago
left side cover off while i was at work (4 hours) got back temp was still 49 C...

parlee

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2005
ive been looking in speedfan to see where the readings are comming from... it says..

Temp1 IT872F 50 C
Temp2 IT872F 30C
Temp3 IT872F 127 C (i ignore that 1 its bs)
Temp LM75 32 C
HD0 HD0 (160) 24C
Temp1 ACPI 40C

can some1 tell me which these are? im totally lost, i suppose the IT872F are readings from the mobo since they show up in digidoc, but my guess is that the ACPI is the actual cpu temp?...

parlee

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2005
aite well then another thing to show, the + and - 5 volt rails both read way below, the -5 says 3.6 and +5 says 2.5, this is bad is it not? is 5 fans + video card too much for 400 watt ps by thermaltake? (x700pro)

also i took off the heatsink and the paste was thin in the middle of the chip and thicker on the sides (middle seemed as it was dried) should i apply more? could this be a reason why my temps are more than 10 C higher?

kool_moo

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2005
I don't know anything about power so I can't comment on that. As for the thermal compound, how did you apply it last time? Try applying it the way that arctic-silver.com says (where you drop a bit in the middle of the CPU and just lower the HSF on and wiggle). Make sure not to put too much also; better to have too less than too much.