Viewing application entries in the registry

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.registry (More info?)

Is there an utility which includes the capability to view all the entries of
an installed application in the registry (WinXP Pro), so that one can
uninstall manually more easily the application (it could help when automatic
uninstalling fails)?
Thanks.
Giovanni
5 answers Last reply
More about viewing application entries registry
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.registry (More info?)

    Use the vendor's uninstall routine. If the uninstall went south then try
    reinstalling to the same location or get in touch with the application
    developer.

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "GRL" wrote:
    | Is there an utility which includes the capability to view all the entries
    of
    | an installed application in the registry (WinXP Pro), so that one can
    | uninstall manually more easily the application (it could help when
    automatic
    | uninstalling fails)?
    | Thanks.
    | Giovanni

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.registry (More info?)

    Thank you for your answer, but it's exactly what doesn't run many times, so
    I'm looking, as I've said, for an utility.
    Giovanni
    "Dave Patrick" <mail@Nospam.DSPatrick.com> ha scritto nel messaggio
    > Use the vendor's uninstall routine. If the uninstall went south then try
    > reinstalling to the same location or get in touch with the application
    > developer.
    >
    > --
    > Regards,

    > Microsoft Certified Professional
    > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >
    > "GRL" wrote:
    > | Is there an utility which includes the capability to view all the
    entries
    > of
    > | an installed application in the registry (WinXP Pro), so that one can
    > | uninstall manually more easily the application (it could help when
    > automatic
    > | uninstalling fails)?
    > | Thanks.
    > | Giovanni

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.registry (More info?)

    There really isn't a hard fast rule for where things get written to the
    registry hence the suggestion to contact the developer.

    --

    "GRL" wrote:
    | Thank you for your answer, but it's exactly what doesn't run many times,
    so
    | I'm looking, as I've said, for an utility.
    | Giovanni
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.registry (More info?)

    Thank you again. Some other people have an answer?
    > There really isn't a hard fast rule for where things get written to the
    > registry hence the suggestion to contact the developer.
    >
    > --
    > Regards,

    > Microsoft Certified Professional
    > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >
    > "GRL" wrote:
    > | Thank you for your answer, but it's exactly what doesn't run many times,
    > so
    > | I'm looking, as I've said, for an utility.
    > | Giovanni

  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.registry (More info?)

    On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 02:21:40 +0100, "GRL" <giovrell@tin.it> wrote:

    >Is there an utility which includes the capability to view all the entries of
    >an installed application in the registry (WinXP Pro), so that one can
    >uninstall manually more easily the application (it could help when automatic
    >uninstalling fails)?

    You can use an application that takes a snapshot of your registry
    before and after the install, and then compares the two snapshots.

    Your XP CD contains WinInstall, which is one such application. There
    are others, and some can even stay resident and kick in whenever they
    detect an install being launched. I can't remember any names off the
    top of my head, though.

    If the application is already installed, there is no way (other than
    installing on a different computer) to know what changes it did to the
    registry unless it is documented somewhere or perhaps logged to a file
    somewhere.

    --
    RoRo

Registry Microsoft Windows