Using windows 3.1 driver on XP

I have an antique (20 year old) Star Gemini 10X 9 pin printer. Windows XP
does not have support for this printer. I've tried using various other
drivers (IBM pro printer, various Epson and Star drivers) with the same
results. It prints a blank line between each pass.

I'm also not the first person with this problem. Doing a search on google,
many people have had the same problem with other operating systems. Windows
3.1 and windows 95 didn't include a driver for this printer, however someone
hacked together a driver for Windows 3.1. Is there any way to get Windows XP
to use a Windows 3.1 driver?
5 answers Last reply
More about using windows driver

    "Bill 2" <asdf@asdf.com> wrote in message news:<L6Ued.153867$Np3.6647994@ursa-nb00s0.nbnet.nb.ca>...
    > I have an antique (20 year old) Star Gemini 10X 9 pin printer. Windows XP
    > does not have support for this printer. I've tried using various other
    > drivers (IBM pro printer, various Epson and Star drivers) with the same
    > results. It prints a blank line between each pass.
    >
    > I'm also not the first person with this problem. Doing a search on google,
    > many people have had the same problem with other operating systems. Windows
    > 3.1 and windows 95 didn't include a driver for this printer, however someone
    > hacked together a driver for Windows 3.1. Is there any way to get Windows XP
    > to use a Windows 3.1 driver?

    A few thoughts, which as I don't have the printer may be useless.

    At a guess, your spacing problem is due to line endings (CR, LF) not
    being what is expected.

    Googling found a few pages:
    <http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/ltapn.html> has some control codes:
    condensed {SI} 0F
    letter quality {ESC}E 1B 45
    reset {FF}{ESC}@ 0C 1B 40

    You might be able to use these if you create a new "Generic" printer
    and put the relevant codes into the properties.

    This page, in Greek, has some software, with source. Maybe the author
    can help you if you can't work it out.
    <http://www32.brinkster.com/spitoselida/gemx/>

    Otherwise, in using dot matrix printers with Windows, except for the
    Generic driver, it always uses graphic mode, which is much slower and
    often not as crisp as built in fonts.

    Instead of using an old Windows driver, maybe you could just run an
    old (DOS?)app that has this printer support built in -- I use Word for
    DOS to print to a dot matrix, as it supports all the built in fonts
    and prints at least 4 times faster than using a Windows (graphic)
    driver. You have to use or convert your files to something the old app
    can use, of course.

    In article <L6Ued.153867$Np3.6647994@ursa-nb00s0.nbnet.nb.ca>, Bill 2
    <asdf@asdf.com> writes
    >I have an antique (20 year old) Star Gemini 10X 9 pin printer. Windows
    >XP does not have support for this printer. I've tried using various
    >other drivers (IBM pro printer, various Epson and Star drivers) with the
    >same results. It prints a blank line between each pass.

    I suspect the printer is set to automatically add a line-feed character
    to any received carriage return. If so, you can switch this off, either
    with one of the DIP switches or by some other means: on my Star XB24,
    it's Auto LF in the Memory Switch mode.
    --
    Thoss

    "thoss" <thoss@thoss.plus.com> wrote in message
    > In article <L6Ued.153867$Np3.6647994@ursa-nb00s0.nbnet.nb.ca>, Bill 2
    > <asdf@asdf.com> writes
    > >I have an antique (20 year old) Star Gemini 10X 9 pin printer. Windows
    > >XP does not have support for this printer. I've tried using various
    > >other drivers (IBM pro printer, various Epson and Star drivers) with the
    > >same results. It prints a blank line between each pass.
    >
    > I suspect the printer is set to automatically add a line-feed character
    > to any received carriage return. If so, you can switch this off, either
    > with one of the DIP switches or by some other means: on my Star XB24,
    > it's Auto LF in the Memory Switch mode.

    Thanks for your response.

    I found a manual for the printer:
    http://www.star-micronics.co.jp/eng/dl/dl01_02.htm

    I set the dip switch according to page 58 of the first part of the Gemini
    10X printer.

    I set the auto LF off, however it doesn't make any difference.

    Any ideas?

    "Bill 2" <asdf@asdf.com> wrote in message news:<TFCfd.154966$Np3.6712689@ursa-nb00s0.nbnet.nb.ca>...

    > I found a manual for the printer:
    > http://www.star-micronics.co.jp/eng/dl/dl01_02.htm
    >
    > I set the dip switch according to page 58 of the first part of the Gemini
    > 10X printer.
    >
    > I set the auto LF off, however it doesn't make any difference.
    >
    > Any ideas?

    See that manual, p 192, dip switch settings for IBM PC.

    "Alan" <7ibehx001@sneakemail.com> wrote in message
    > "Bill 2" <asdf@asdf.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > I found a manual for the printer:
    > > http://www.star-micronics.co.jp/eng/dl/dl01_02.htm
    > >
    > > I set the dip switch according to page 58 of the first part of the
    Gemini
    > > 10X printer.
    > >
    > > I set the auto LF off, however it doesn't make any difference.
    > >
    > > Any ideas?
    >
    > See that manual, p 192, dip switch settings for IBM PC.

    I do that but it still prints the same way.

Printers Drivers Windows XP Peripherals