DCB_AU

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2002
Which CPU would you buy for gaming :? ,

AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Sock939
or
Intel P4 630 3.0GHz 2mb L2 cashe 800FSB LGA775 64bit extensions.

Also i've heard that the NForce chipset with AMD is the best. Is this correct and what about this chipset with Intel?

One other question please - AMD have different cores ie. Venice.
Is this the best core?

Thanks,

the_guru

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2005
The AMD is faster when it comes to gaming. Plus it requires less power and less cooling. And you can most likely OC it to a 4000+ if you want.

The Venice Core is the best.

You should also take a look at the Opteron 144 and 146. They are like AMD 64s but with double the cache and can OC higher. Beating an AMD FX-57 is not unusual.

endyen

Splendid
If they made a s939 2800, it would be equal to the 630, for gaming, just not as hot. The 3200 venice core is a much better option.
Another good option for mobos is the Asus A8R-MVP. It uses a new Ati crossfire chipset, with a uli south bridge. It is a little better than nforce, but generally much more bang for the buck.
It also seems to be the OCers newest choice.

DRAGoNX

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2005
Great, here we go again. They should just stick something that says AMD FTW!!!

I swear if I see another one of these threads I'll...I'll do something really bad :wink: .

USE THE f-v-c-k'n search button. Thats what it's there for!!!!
Also Look at this thread over at anandtech.

They have reached the same conclusion. Not to put anyone down here at TGForumz but I like the anandtech forums better. I think you get a better answer there in a shorter amount of time.

Anyway sorry for bashing anyone and if anyone is affended by this i offer my apology. And if you don't like my spelling (not that I know I spelt anything wrong but you never know) its 2 in the morning and I'm not exactly awake.

EDIT: And for chipsets, AMD+Nvida (nforce) and Intel+Intel, not that I even recommend intel its just the best chipset for it.

DCB_AU

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2002
Great, here we go again. They should just stick something that says AMD FTW!!!

I swear if I see another one of these threads I'll...I'll do something really bad :wink: .

USE THE f-v-c-k'n search button. Thats what it's there for!!!!
Also Look at this thread over at anandtech.

They have reached the same conclusion. Not to put anyone down here at TGForumz but I like the anandtech forums better. I think you get a better answer there in a shorter amount of time.

Anyway sorry for bashing anyone and if anyone is affended by this i offer my apology. And if you don't like my spelling (not that I know I spelt anything wrong but you never know) its 2 in the morning and I'm not exactly awake.

EDIT: And for chipsets, AMD+Nvida (nforce) and Intel+Intel, not that I even recommend intel its just the best chipset for it.

This thread was not meant to be one of those AMD vs Intel.

I'am not up with the newer AMD cpu's specs/perf as I've previously allways used Intel.

I could have done some research of my own, but I wanted quick info and these forums are great for that.

What the hell do you think these forums are for - asking questions :D

No one here would be affended that easily.

See Ya :wink:

the_guru

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2005
I feel sorry for anyone that took this forums advice that single cores are still the best for gaming.

If you take the cost in count singel core are still the best for gaming. When it comes to High-End gaming the graphics card is a much more important component.

If you have a good graphics card there will be almost no performance gained going from a 3200+ to a x2 4400+. And it's a very expensive upgrade.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Let me tell you what I use:

1 AMD Athlon 64 3200+ (Venice)
1 P4 530 3.0GHz Prescott
1 P4 2.6C Northwood

The Northwood sits in my desktop because I need the other two CPU's for testing purposes. Such a shame. They both overclock good, the 530 to 3.7GHz with 100% stability, the A64 to 2450MHz with 100% stability. At those speeds I can't really see a difference in performance. So which would I choose?

The AMD. I only use the P4 for THERMAL and POWER LOAD testing. That sucker's a freaking power sucking heat monster. Hell, I can't even put up with the noise from the cooler for more than a few minutes, I have to leave the room for extended tests! Meanwhile the AMD system purs allong with a PIII-sized all-aluminum cooler, its fan spinning about half as fast.

I-LOVE-AMD

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2005
no dobt Amd is the best chos i would say in any thing.. cooling, Speed, Cash oR 64bit, gameing, or muit-tasking, Amd can kick any Intel Ass..!
turst AMD dude.. best for games ant 1 no that..! man i have 3000+ s393 so far it beat almost any p4 i have meet... even the p4 d 3.2 even tho i OC 2 2ghz but still cool Temp n stable.. n everything.. AMd is the only chos.. Turst the world. i mean Go look at the intel new article Abt the new intel 65nm CPU then u will no how useless Intel is Till now..! put it this way so far intel is like 1 step ahead amd with Vt n ddr2 n 65nm n Carzy cor clock 4Ghz+ but still with amd still on ddr1, 90nm, only 1mb L2 n stuff. it still beat Intel by far..! Go check out THG article then u willno what i m talking abt Intel is Shit .. n most imprtant u dont want a heater in ur Room n A power bill Cost more then the PC..! hehehe it fact.. go do sum..! here is a realy life joke my frd use his p4 3.06ghz 2 play music open WMP then intel pop up say Cpu is over heat.. haha intel can use WMP 2 control ther CPu heat..! get it.. hahah intel SUCK.. :) AMD rule

I-LOVE-AMD

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2005
oh abt Venice.
it is just a upgrade Cpu of the athlon 64 s939 just a ADD on of SSE3...
sumthing has 2 do with faster Enconding n stuff.. well go check out the THG bench mark the Venice.
is alway a faster ver of the old but sam CPu..
but i think the Venice. cost just a bit more then the older ver..!
AMD rule :)

DRAGoNX

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2005
oh abt Venice.
sumthing has 2 do with faster Enconding n stuff.. well go check out the THG bench mark the Venice.

I look at your username and see AMD Fanboy written all over it.

Ninjax

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2005
oh abt Venice.

I look at your username and see AMD Fanboy written all over it. :p
seems like u seem to hate AMD?