Disable file associations depending on number of arguments

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.registry (More info?)

Hi.

I've created a program similar to Unzip. It takes command line arguments
like this:

unzip file1

I've added this Keys to Registry:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MY_FILE_TYPE\Shell\MYZIP = "Unzip file"
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MY_FILE_TYPE\Shell\MYZIP\Command =
"[PROGRAM_PATH]\MyUnZip.exe" %1

My problem is: when I select more than one file to unzip, the program fails
(windows open a program for each file). How can I disable this file
associaton when the number of arguments is more than one?. I mean, I want
that "Unzip file" only appear when I right click only one file.

Sorry for my bad english.

Thank you.
1 answer Last reply
More about disable file associations depending number arguments
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.registry (More info?)

    "Francisco del Valle" <f_delvalle@terra.es> wrote in

    > Hi.
    >
    > I've created a program similar to Unzip. It takes command line
    > arguments like this:
    >
    > unzip file1
    >
    > I've added this Keys to Registry:
    >
    > HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MY_FILE_TYPE\Shell\MYZIP = "Unzip file"
    > HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MY_FILE_TYPE\Shell\MYZIP\Command =
    > "[PROGRAM_PATH]\MyUnZip.exe" %1
    >
    > My problem is: when I select more than one file to unzip, the program
    > fails (windows open a program for each file). How can I disable this
    > file associaton when the number of arguments is more than one?. I
    > mean, I want that "Unzip file" only appear when I right click only one
    > file.
    >

    > Sorry for my bad english.
    >
    > Thank you.

    Windows does not create a command line that has more than one argument
    when you do this. It creates a command line for each file that you have
    selected. In your case, it will try to run one copy of your program for
    each file you have selected.
    Perhaps you can change your program so that it can run multiple instances
    at the same time. For example, if you were using Winzip, it has an
    option to "Reuse WinZip Windows" (which you can turn off) which causes it
    to only run one instance at a time.

Registry File Type Windows