Sign in with
Your question

Bios issue

Last response: in Windows 7
March 15, 2011 1:56:42 PM

Hello,
I'm having a WIN 7 bios issue on a Dell T3400 that is killing me. Somebody out there must have had this happen, cured it, and is back to drinking beer;
Help!

Got the T 3400, new to us, without drives. Bought three new drives, started the install. Set bios to Raid. Loaded Win 7 in a Quick silver SSD. Loaded drivers. Everything went swell. Installed two 2-TB drives. Set bios to Raid 1. Loaded more apps and drivers. Made Document file and put empty folder in one of the Raid Drives. Double checked drive condition in Computer Management. Both drives (C) and (E) showed up. (C) was partitioned. Went to bed fat and happy.

Next morning. Start the workstation. No boot drive. Wrangle the boot drive out of the bios, and get the properly captioned drives to appear in the boot sequence. Viola! OS7 starts up.

Next morning, same stuff. Called the guy who sold me the new drives.
He suggests I change the bios battery. Oddly enough during another restart- wrangle the computer suggests the same thing. Old battery tests 3 volts. New battery tests 3 volts. Nothing changes. Computer still says the battery is getting low. Hmmmmm.

Today I've had to rearrange the bios a couple times. The Mercury SSD keeps on going bye bye every time I shut the thing off.

The only clue I haven't explored is when I get to the Disk Volume/Information screen (after the Control India screen) is why the Raid Volume is listed as item 0 in Port 4&5 , and is bootable? The Mercury is listed in Port 0, and isn't captioned bootable or not.

I must be barking up the wrong tree, anybody have any suggestions!
Steve

More about : bios issue

a c 253 $ Windows 7
March 15, 2011 6:32:28 PM

It truly sounds like your BIOS is not retaining its settings upon shutdown (per the earlier battery suggestion and symptoms). Is this system under warranty? If so, I suggest you get Dell involved. If not, your mobo may be defective given that you swapped the battery already.
m
l
March 16, 2011 1:20:26 PM

COLGeek said:
It truly sounds like your BIOS is not retaining its settings upon shutdown (per the earlier battery suggestion and symptoms). Is this system under warranty? If so, I suggest you get Dell involved. If not, your mobo may be defective given that you swapped the battery already.

Thanks for the reply!

Question. Could the SSD not be compatible with the bios? The machine is a 2009 build. A co worker brought that up; I thought there were no compatibility issues but maybe I'm wrong.
wrock
m
l
Related resources
a c 253 $ Windows 7
March 16, 2011 8:12:21 PM

I doubt it. As far as your system is concerned, the SSD is just a fast HDD and should have no bearing on the system retaining BIOS settings.
m
l
a c 411 $ Windows 7
March 16, 2011 9:34:42 PM

this is a bad motherboard the problem will not go away,i had this problem with an optiplex 960 dell! i received new unit and presto all worked out fine!
m
l
March 17, 2011 9:13:16 PM

Thanks for the advise fellas. I just packed the machine up.
wrock
m
l
!