Temperature question; asus t2p4 in tower case w/extra fans

What is the typical temperature range my machine should operate within?

I installed one of those wired indoor/outdoor thermometers so I can monitor the temp inside the case. Its one of those small digital ones where there's a 6ft cord with a sensor on the end so you can run it out and around a window for checking the weather outside, except I put the wired sensor inside my tower case and then close the case so I can get an accurate reading.

System: Asus p55t2p4 overclocked with a k6-2 500mhz. All 4 simm slots are in use. 4 internal devices (3 IDE harddrives and a CD-RW).

Fans: one fan on cpu with a heatsink, fan in the powersource, and two extra fans are built into the tower itself (one bottom front sucking air in, one in top rear blowing air out). There is also a fan built into the video card.

External temperature: Room air temperature going in is currently 70F-74F. Air being blown out is around 99F after a few hours.

Internal temperature: after being on several hours, it ranges from about 90F to 98F depending on where in the tower I run the sensor to. (the bottom being cooler since air is blown in there).

Given my system and setup, is my temperature range good or is it a little high? Please keep in mind that there is a built-in shelf between the upper and lower case sections with only a hole to run cables through, and that the cables do block a fair amount of the air flow.

Should I pick up another cheap and quiet fan to put in?

Matt Shokoff
matsho@sympatico.ca
1 answer Last reply
More about temperature question asus t2p4 tower case extra fans
  1. Most of those old machines dont' have diodes or any way to measure the CPU temp (which is the primary method of seeing if a system is cool enough because it overheats fastest), but air temp in the case of no more than 99F (37-38C) seem fine to me, and if the system is stable and error-free, you should be fine.

Mike.
Ask a new question

Read More

Cases Temperature Overclocking