Right Click Directory Functions Lost

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.registry,microsoft.public.windowsnt.registry (More info?)

This problem occured with 98SE but I think the registry
mechanism involved is universal. I installed some rogue
software the other day (all the stuff that comes with the
ATI Radeon 9200 graphics card) and it did me the favor of
removing all the nice functions from the right click on
directories. No "Find", no "New", etc.

The only funtions remaining are:

View ->
Customize This Folder...
Arrange Icons ->
Line Up Icons
Refresh
Paste
Paste Shortcut
Properties

Any advice on how to fix this? I have a Ghost backup from
before the problem occured from which I could possibly
extract the right stuff if I knew how to do that.

Failing that, will an OS overinstall correct it to at least
give me back "Find" and "New -> Directory".

Any help _greatly_ appreciated,

Bob

simpler."

A. Einstein

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.registry,microsoft.public.windowsnt.registry (More info?)

I know this helps for XP, not sure about 98SE...

from a command prompt type:

regsvr32 /i shell32.dll

Keith

Keith Miller wrote:
> I know this helps for XP, not sure about 98SE...
>
> from a command prompt type:
>
> regsvr32 /i shell32.dll

It loads but there is an error that an entry point is
missing and the problem remains.

Can I just replace the two files (in DOS boot mode) that
comprise the registry from a backup made just prior to
whatever screwed it up? Win98SE, again.

Bob

simpler."

A. Einstein