Dell 8200 Graphics card upgrade

pezzersared

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2005
Apologies as I'm sure this has been asked before. I have a 2002 Dimension 8200 this spec: mobo Chipset Intel i850E, Pentium 4 @ 2387 MHz, 512 MB (2 x 256 RDRAM RIMM PC800 @ 400 MHz) and current video Card Nvidia GeForce4 Ti 4200 [AGPx4] running a Cornea CT1700 LCD monitor. I've recently been given as a present Battlefield 2 but cannot run it as the graphics card isn't compatible. I've asked Dell support what I can get to upgrade but they have limited me to 3 cards [NV11 w/ TV out, NVIDIA NV15 32MB, NVIDIA Ultra High End 64MB NV20] which I know isn't right. If i've got AGP slot I have a greater choice, right? Anyway as the experts I thought I'd ask you guys. I was looking at probably getting a Nvidia 5800 or above but I'm really in the dark as to what upgrade to get that is compatible as Dell have confused rather than clarified the issue. Grateful for any help out there and also any recommended cards that will do the job and keep me going for a good while.

INeedCache

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
That was a really dismal selection they gave you. Dell though, so I'm not surprised. Go to www.newegg.com or www.zipzoomfly.com and check out their selection of AGP cards. You can use any AGP card with your system. You'll probably want to be looking in at least the $150 or so range if you want to playing games like these (though they would play better if you spent a little more). I think a card with a GeForce 6600GT chip would do your right without making you broke. This is a good deal:
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=321917

cleeve

Illustrious
Depends how much you can afford.

Base minimum would be a Geforce 6600 or Radeon X700, the 6600 GT is better, the X800 GT is a bit better than that, even better than that is the X800 GTO, and pretty much the best performer available for AGP is the $250 X800 XT.

raven_87

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
Well, there's a couple more things that the previous posts forgot to mention (no disrespect)

One. Were talking about Dell here...+horrible PSU + passive cooling + poor airflow. I hope I dont need to say much more.
But first you need to check the wattage on your PSU (power supply unit)
Becuase an x800xt with your system will require at least 350watts.
Knowing our good friends @ Dell *sarcasm* I'm sure you just get by
with it...cant gaurantee anything.

Couple other things. Your warranty (provided its not already expired) will be effectively void once you do any upgrading of your own.
Last. In order for OEM's to make more money, they can use exclusive
build dimenions, Meaning you'll HAVE to upgrade through them. Example: My 9700pro will physicall not fit in the AGP slot
on my friends eMachine becuase the cards "monitor"(not correct terminology) plugs rest to far back on the motherboard. Its hard to understand, becuase I suck at describing things, but its true . Unless of course I feel like reversing a saw blade, getting out a grinding file and making it fit.

Remember these things before you upgrade.