Help! NTVDM Error when trying to access regedit?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.registry (More info?)

Hello All..

I have a major issue, or what I think is major. I tried to install a HTML
Forms Generator, however during the installation it told me that it was not
compatable on a a Windows NT machine, so I cancelled the installation.

Now everytime I reboot, the installation trys to continue?

Also, which I am sure they are associatted, I cannot access my regedit?

I get the following message:

the NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction.

Please help..

Thanks in advance..

Brook
3 answers Last reply
More about help ntvdm error access regedit
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.registry (More info?)

    "Brook" <Brook@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hello All..
    >
    > I have a major issue, or what I think is major. I tried to install a HTML
    > Forms Generator, however during the installation it told me that it was
    not
    > compatable on a a Windows NT machine, so I cancelled the installation.
    >
    > Now everytime I reboot, the installation trys to continue?

    You could start by taking a look in your startup folders to see if there's
    anything there that shouldn't be. Also, empty your temp directory.

    It could also be a setting in the system registry that's starting the
    install program, but without regedit you have a problem.

    > Also, which I am sure they are associatted, I cannot access my regedit?
    >
    > I get the following message:
    >
    > the NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction.

    Try the above. If it doesn't work, you might try reinstalling service pack
    6a, just to make sure regedit.exe and ntvdm.exe haven't been damaged.

    Installing something like Regseeker http://www.hoverdesk.net/freeware.htm is
    useful for getting rid of any programs starting from the system registry,
    but best get everything running properly before you do.

    --
    Regards,
    Crazy.

    Hello Aljy,

    I was able to figure out the first part about the installation continuing
    during startup.

    For the Regedit and NTVDM, I am running Windows 2000. What would I need to
    reinstall with that?

    Thanks,

    Brook

    "Crazy Aljy" wrote:

    > "Brook" <Brook@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Hello All..
    > >
    > > I have a major issue, or what I think is major. I tried to install a HTML
    > > Forms Generator, however during the installation it told me that it was
    > not
    > > compatable on a a Windows NT machine, so I cancelled the installation.
    > >
    > > Now everytime I reboot, the installation trys to continue?
    >
    > You could start by taking a look in your startup folders to see if there's
    > anything there that shouldn't be. Also, empty your temp directory.
    >
    > It could also be a setting in the system registry that's starting the
    > install program, but without regedit you have a problem.
    >
    > > Also, which I am sure they are associatted, I cannot access my regedit?
    > >
    > > I get the following message:
    > >
    > > the NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction.
    >
    > Try the above. If it doesn't work, you might try reinstalling service pack
    > 6a, just to make sure regedit.exe and ntvdm.exe haven't been damaged.
    >
    > Installing something like Regseeker http://www.hoverdesk.net/freeware.htm is
    > useful for getting rid of any programs starting from the system registry,
    > but best get everything running properly before you do.
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    > Crazy.
    > http://web.ukonline.co.uk/crazy.aljy

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.registry (More info?)

    Not sure about Windows 2000. I have it, but can't run it on any of my
    machines.

    The thing to try would be the latest Windows 2000 service pack (in the hope
    that any broken files have been updated in the pack). Service pack 4 is the
    last one I'm aware of, but you'd be better checking the Microsoft web site
    to see if there's a later one.

    Failing that, you'll find regedit.exe on your Win2000 installation disk.
    NTVDM is there too, but in compressed state, along with another file I'm
    assuming is related. You'll have to use DOS to expand them.

    Before you start, best make backup copies of existing files you're about to
    replace. These are regedit.exe, ntvdm.exe and ntvdmd.dll.

    Look for NTVDM.EX_ and NTVDMD.DL_ and copy them to a hard drive directory or
    floppy disk. You'd best copy EXPAND.EXE from the installation disk to the
    same place (makes the job a bit easier).

    Start the DOS Command Prompt, switch to the directory you copied the files
    to, and type the following two lines:

    expand ntvdm.ex_ ntvdm.exe
    expand ntvdmd.dl_ ntvdmd.dll

    Move the expanded files to where they should go (the system32 directory on
    NT4, but might be different on 2000, so check first). You can just copy
    regedit.exe directly across to your Windows directory (same thing applies).

    With a bit of luck that will get things moving again, but there's also the
    possibility it's something else issuing a call to NTVDM causing the error.
    For that you'd be better asking somebody who is familiar with Windows 2000.

    --

    > Hello Aljy,
    >
    > I was able to figure out the first part about the installation
    continuing
    > during startup.
    >
    > For the Regedit and NTVDM, I am running Windows 2000. What would I need
    > reinstall with that?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Brook
    >
    > "Crazy Aljy" wrote:
    >

    > > "Brook" <Brook@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > Hello All..
    > > >
    > > > I have a major issue, or what I think is major. I tried to install a
    HTML
    > > > Forms Generator, however during the installation it told me that it
    was
    > > not
    > > > compatable on a a Windows NT machine, so I cancelled the installation.
    > > >
    > > > Now everytime I reboot, the installation trys to continue?
    > >
    > > You could start by taking a look in your startup folders to see if
    there's
    > > anything there that shouldn't be. Also, empty your temp directory.
    > >
    > > It could also be a setting in the system registry that's starting the
    > > install program, but without regedit you have a problem.
    > >
    > > > Also, which I am sure they are associatted, I cannot access my
    regedit?

    > > > I get the following message:
    > > >
    > > > the NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction.
    > >
    > > Try the above. If it doesn't work, you might try reinstalling service
    pack
    > > 6a, just to make sure regedit.exe and ntvdm.exe haven't been damaged.
    > >
    > > Installing something like Regseeker
    http://www.hoverdesk.net/freeware.htm is
    > > useful for getting rid of any programs starting from the system
    registry,
    > > but best get everything running properly before you do.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Regards,
    > > Crazy.
    > > http://web.ukonline.co.uk/crazy.aljy