Windows XP wants a DVD-RW driver?

Tags:
  • DVD RW
  • Windows XP
  • Samsung
  • Components
Last response: in Components
December 28, 2005 12:18:32 PM

I just installed a Samsung SH-W162 DVD-RW drive in my Windows XP Pro PC and installed Nero. It wors fine. It reads and writes just fine. At first, the drive wasn't visible in the windows Explorer, but after installing Nero and updating the firmware of the drive, Windows sees and uses it just fine. The problem now is that every time the PC is restarted, Windows says it has found a new device and wants to install a driver for it. It specifies the Samsung SH-W162 as the new device but then XP says it can't find a suitable driver for it.

I didn't think XP needed drivers for IDE devices. I checked the Samsung website and they say the same thing. What does XP want from me?!?!?! :p 

Max.

More about : windows dvd driver

December 28, 2005 8:18:02 PM

I had a similar problem when using CDRWin. When I uninstalled the software, my DVD drive disappeared. It seems to be a registry issue. Try this link :

http://www.dougknox.com/

1. On the left of the screen in this site, click on 'Win XP fixes'

2. On the right side of the next screen click on 'Restore CD/DVD drives to explorer'

3. Download the fix on the next page and follow instructions.
December 29, 2005 12:04:54 PM

I really had my hopes up on this one, but so far no good. The only thing I haven't tried is uninstalling Nero before running that little app. I'll give that a try tonight. It was already pretty late by the time I read your post, so I just tried the file and rebooted. It again said New Hardware Found, soI went through the steps, allowed it not realize it couldn't find a driver, then checked the box that said "Don't ask again." The funny thing is, that caused the drive to disappear from Explorer again. It WAS there after I installed Nero.

It's really strange. If I go in to the Hardware Manager the drive is listed and shows to be installed correctly and functioning. I was also having a similar problem with an old IDE hard drive I temporarily put in from my old PC. XP wanted to install new drivers for it and couldn't find them either. I've never seen an OS want to install drivers for an IDE hard drive.

I'll uninstall Nero tonight and give it another shot. I'll post my results.

Thanks,
Max.
Related resources
December 29, 2005 12:58:38 PM

It sounds like you may have a root kit by Sony's DRM.
Have you tried rolling back your driver.
December 29, 2005 5:14:08 PM

I have no idea what a root kit is. Would my Samsung SH-W162 DVD+-RW be using something from Sony?

Also, shouldn't Windows just load up some standard ATAPI drivers for this and see it as a standard CD / DVD drive? I thought that's how it was always done in the past. Is XP different?

Max.
December 29, 2005 6:03:25 PM

If you had played any music on the computer in the past, it could have been installed. Most users just blindly accept leisens aggrements. Any Sony or BMG cd's could install them? The other mfg have not been caught doing any of this elegal stuff, doesen't mean thay haven't done it. I have a rule on music. There are over 20 titles that had the older root kits, they did not say how many had a newer system. Any software that requires special software besides the std windows install, Throws up a RED Flag. Go to http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities.html and download and install their rootkit revealer. The bad thing about these is they are difficult if not impossiable to remove.
December 29, 2005 8:45:02 PM

Quote:
If you had played any music on the computer in the past, it could have been installed. Most users just blindly accept leisens aggrements. Any Sony or BMG cd's could install them? The other mfg have not been caught doing any of this elegal stuff, doesen't mean thay haven't done it. I have a rule on music. There are over 20 titles that had the older root kits, they did not say how many had a newer system. Any software that requires special software besides the std windows install, Throws up a RED Flag. Go to http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities.html and download and install their rootkit revealer. The bad thing about these is they are difficult if not impossiable to remove.

Oh, in that case that's not my issue. I just built this PC about 2 weeks ago. The HD is fresh and I've only played 1 DVD in it. Season 10 of Friends and used Microsoft Media player to play it. AFAIK it didn't install any software... at least any that I agreed to.

Thanks for the tip, though.

Max.
December 29, 2005 8:51:35 PM

Sorry to hear you you had no luck. You could try uninstalling Nero as you have said and see if the drive is still there. If this doesn't work, one of these might :

1. Try downloading the latest version of Nero 7 (trial version) from this link :

http://www.nero.com/nero7/eng/nero7-demo.php

The latest version may have solved any issues if the problem is Nero. Sometimes registry keys can be repaired simply by installing software. Even though this is a trial version of Nero, when you uninstall it, your registry may be left intact, and in effect repaired.

2. Try re-installing your motherboard drivers.

3. If you have no luck with that, you may be able to repair your Windows installation. If you insert your Windows XP CD, I think a 'Repair' option is available.

4. Then there's always Windows Update Centre. If you open Control Panel, and from there open System, select the Hardware tab at the top, click on 'Windows Update' in the Drivers section and make sure 'If my device needs a driver, go to Windows Update without asking me' is selected.

5. You can also manually go to the Windows Update site and update Windows from there if it's not already up-to-date.

I hope one of these works, I'm running out of ideas.

Cheers.
!