Adding app to registry as service - needs network drives....

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.registry,alt.os.windows-xp,alt.os.windows.xp (More info?)

Hi,

I'm using Windows XP Pro, and using a couple of commands from the
Reskit, I have successfully been able to add an application to the
Registry so it will start up before anyone logs in.

Now, my problem is that, within this program, I need to be able to
access drives on a connected Windows network (the other systems on the
network are also running WinXP Pro). When I go to access the network
drives, they don't appear.

I believe there's something that can be added to the program's entry in
the registry called "DependOnService"? I haven't been able to figure out
what needs to go in there, though to make this work.

Or, is there a freeware or open-source program that will take care of
this for me, allowing a program to start up as a service (maybe I've
been going about it the wrong way).

Ideas?

Thanks for any help,
Mark

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.registry (More info?)

Always use UNC paths since mapped drives won't exist when no one is logged
on.

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Mark Worden" wrote:
| Hi,
|
| I'm using Windows XP Pro, and using a couple of commands from the
| Reskit, I have successfully been able to add an application to the
| Registry so it will start up before anyone logs in.
|
| Now, my problem is that, within this program, I need to be able to
| access drives on a connected Windows network (the other systems on the
| network are also running WinXP Pro). When I go to access the network
| drives, they don't appear.
|
| I believe there's something that can be added to the program's entry in
| the registry called "DependOnService"? I haven't been able to figure out
| what needs to go in there, though to make this work.
|
| Or, is there a freeware or open-source program that will take care of
| this for me, allowing a program to start up as a service (maybe I've
| been going about it the wrong way).
|
| Ideas?
|
| Thanks for any help,
| Mark

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.registry (More info?)

UNC...?

Dave Patrick wrote:
> Always use UNC paths since mapped drives won't exist when no one is logged
> on.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.registry (More info?)

You're welcome.