Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Mozilla Rechallenges Google in Browser Speed Race

Last response: in News comments
August 20, 2012 11:34:21 PM

I'm currently using Firefox Aurora, and it has a crashing/lock-up problem with Flash 11.3 since the two or three previous versions ago. Did they iron it out in Beta?

Nevertheless, it would be nice of Mozilla to iron out any bugs. That includes you, Adobe.
August 20, 2012 11:39:33 PM

About as useful as a poopie-flavored lollipop. The browser wars were over long ago. I guess it's all about the nostalgia?
Anonymous
August 20, 2012 11:51:19 PM

If only Mozilla would move into the 21st century with a 64 bit Windows version...
August 20, 2012 11:51:25 PM

Scoring 2150ms using the firefox nightly (v17) on my PC here.
August 20, 2012 11:52:22 PM

@A Bad Day: Funny, I use both Chrome and the Firefox Nightly build and I'm stable as a rock. Also, you're also on a non-release build. What do you think that's for, if not ironing out bugs?
August 20, 2012 11:55:54 PM

I'd mainly like to see them work on making the UI faster - Firefox's benchmarks don't mean shit when the browser constantly freezes on my E350 machine. (Chrome is completely smooth, in comparison.)
August 21, 2012 12:11:52 AM

Kodiack@A Bad Day: Funny, I use both Chrome and the Firefox Nightly build and I'm stable as a rock. Also, you're also on a non-release build. What do you think that's for, if not ironing out bugs?

I become somewhat worried if a problem also existed in version 15 and maybe even 14.

And for your information, I gave Beta a try. The problem also exists.
August 21, 2012 12:29:25 AM

The speed diff is not really an issue anymore. Both browser are fast enough. What I really need is the browser that push more usage on hardware GPU acceleration. DX10/11 GPU are pretty common these days, get someone to put serious effort in GPGPU computing. At least those Atom/E-350 user get better browsing experience.
August 21, 2012 12:59:01 AM

instead of making it faster, they should work on making it more stable. i use firefox most of the time, and every time I load a page my entire browser locks up for like 2 seconds...
August 21, 2012 1:03:04 AM

cornandbeansIt is not official. Thus not made by Mozilla.

Except it is official. Mozilla formally added it as one of their own projects. It may have started out as an unofficial branch, but Mozilla owns it now. Therefore, it is being made and maintained by Mozilla.
August 21, 2012 1:22:10 AM

As a web developer I'd love to see an improvement in page layout consistency.
It is frustrating to look at a webpage, even a fairly basic one, in 3 different browsers and see it rendered differently; then having to explain the difference to the client :-(

August 21, 2012 2:05:29 AM

freggoAs a web developer I'd love to see an improvement in page layout consistency.It is frustrating to look at a webpage, even a fairly basic one, in 3 different browsers and see it rendered differently; then having to explain the difference to the client :-(

Then, someone on the client side has the bright idea of pointing out that it's broken in IE8, IE7, and especially IE6.
August 21, 2012 2:18:11 AM

mmstickMozilla DOES have a 64-bit firefox. It's called waterfox. http://waterfoxproject.org/

For some reason, it keeps giving me "Luna error" and AVG is marking it as a virus...
Anonymous
August 21, 2012 3:22:15 AM

"Waterfox is in no way associated with the Mozilla Foundation or any of their products."

If you pull down the bar on the top of that page you will see this message.
August 21, 2012 3:32:50 AM

javascript race? i like a flash race, because my pc can barely hande current flash games that looks worst than old time animations with previous version of flash! i dont know who is making un optimized code mozilla or adobe!
August 21, 2012 3:52:50 AM

A fully optimised version of Firefox, optimised for SSE2 processors, and cutting away all the old legacy hardware support is Palemoon.

http://www.palemoon.org
if you, like me, dont like the UI changes mozilla have done, then Palemoon is for you. It retains the FF4 UI, with full customisations possible. The browser is built with full profile guided optimisation. It also contains patches from the beta channels, that cant come in firefox due to hierqrchial and corporate policies. It has a 64 bit version too.
August 21, 2012 3:59:20 AM

GiveMeFF64If only Mozilla would move into the 21st century with a 64 bit Windows version...

There is a version compiled by a overclock.net user. The problem is, apps like the Battlefield 3 launcher are 32bits only, same as flash I am guessing? So you can have Mozilla 64bits, but you wont be able to launch Battlefield 3 because the plugins are 32bits only.

In any case, I love FireFox and hope 64 bit support comes soon from both, Mozilla, and addon developers!
August 21, 2012 4:06:40 AM

Wow! That's so interesti...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz......
Anonymous
August 21, 2012 4:27:12 AM

Firefox is good, it always worked great here, but one thing I don't like about it is the constant pushing of all the updates that make most of the plugins unsupported and out of function. And by the time the devs of those plugins catch up, Mozilla pushes out another update. That's the sole reason I don't use it anymore.
August 21, 2012 5:32:37 AM

Now only if firefox could use a CPU for each tab render like Chrome does
August 21, 2012 6:32:02 AM

GiveMeFF64If only Mozilla would move into the 21st century with a 64 bit Windows version...

waterfox, its what i use and i have yet to have a compatibility problem.
danwat1234Now only if firefox could use a CPU for each tab render like Chrome does

hell no, chrome already crashed my computer when i open allot of tabs, if ff did that, it would be just as bad
August 21, 2012 6:47:10 AM

Interestingly, the only time I have problems with FF nightly build is using googledocs? deliberate non compliance with standards? Oh and is there an Adblock + plugin for Chrome yet? Check the difference in load times for heavily add bound pages with adblock on and off.
August 21, 2012 7:14:50 AM

A Bad DayI become somewhat worried if a problem also existed in version 15 and maybe even 14.And for your information, I gave Beta a try. The problem also exists.

Why does it so often elude people to consider that if a program does not perform as expected, it might actually be caused by some other software, hardware or driver issue present in the PC?
Everyone has a unique computer and different browsers will fare differently in each unique environment. Which works best in my system may not work best for some other systems. We just need to try each one and choose for ourselves.
In the end though, browser performance is fast enough for all the big players that it is not the first thing I consider when making my choice anymore. Instead, I consider which browser offers the functionality and interface (including Add-ons/Plugins) that appeals to me and my needs.
August 21, 2012 8:33:32 AM

Nightly. It works.
August 21, 2012 8:59:32 AM

i use FF and Chrome regularly, but can't reach Opera website for past couple of months.
August 21, 2012 10:10:00 AM

carnage9270About as useful as a poopie-flavored lollipop. The browser wars were over long ago. I guess it's all about the nostalgia?

The current browser war is just getting stronger. It's far from over.

livebriandI'd mainly like to see them work on making the UI faster - Firefox's benchmarks don't mean shit when the browser constantly freezes on my E350 machine. (Chrome is completely smooth, in comparison.)

This. All the javascript speed in the world doesn't mean stuff all if it takes 1.5 seconds to switch tabs. 1.2 seconds to open the tools menu. 0.8 seconds to open a new tab. Even Chromium-based browsers can lag when it comes to these functions. I'm not 100% sure about the latest Opera version, but have any of you guys tried Opera 10.10? It's a couple of years old, but install it, give it a spin. Don't use it as your primary browser, but just notice how smooth everything is. It truly gives you the impression that it is a fast browser, because everything to do with the UI is absolutely instantaneous.

A Bad DayFor some reason, it keeps giving me "Luna error" and AVG is marking it as a virus...

AVG sucks, I hope you realize that.

RogueKitsuneContains i686 and x86_x64 builds of firefox:http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla [...] tral-l10n/Also with the exception of silverlight every other plug-in works fine out of the box for the 64-bit version. Silverlight requires a little more effort to get it working properly.

Silverlight is redundant. Microsoft even gave up on it.

alidanhell no, chrome already crashed my computer when i open allot of tabs, if ff did that, it would be just as bad

That's why Firefox needs to give its users an option to enable or disable tab sandboxing. Disabled, it would run as a single process. Enabled, it would (should) run better on multi-core CPU's and systems with larger memory.

I tried switching back to another tab in Firefox while a tab was loading, and it refused to switch to the other tab until the loading tab had initialized loading (got a response from the target website). This meant that for roughly 4 seconds, the entire browser was effectively 'frozen'. (Aurora 15.0a2) Strangely enough you don't see this 'freezing' in Opera, despite it also being a single-process browser.

cookoyi use FF and Chrome regularly, but can't reach Opera website for past couple of months.

Cannot duplicate this problem. I can reach Opera's website just fine in any browser. Check your hosts file and any content blocking software or addons you may have.
August 21, 2012 2:58:39 PM

really!!! 32 bit?....are we going backwards?....am i missing something?....the developers need stop being lazy and work harder on making their websites behave properly on 64bit browsers....for now 64bit browsing is mediocre at best
August 21, 2012 5:22:25 PM

A Bad DayThen, someone on the client side has the bright idea of pointing out that it's broken in IE8, IE7, and especially IE6.

EVERY browser has inconsistencies. Also IE6 is way up there of course.
August 21, 2012 10:31:13 PM

PheruleSilverlight is redundant. Microsoft even gave up on it.

I wish Netflix saw it that way too :\
August 22, 2012 9:30:27 AM

I wouldn't know. I don't have enough bandwidth to watch Youtube, let alone Netflix.
September 10, 2012 8:09:05 PM

AnonymousIf only Mozilla would move into the 21st century with a 64 bit Windows version...

You could move into the 21st century with Linux, where we do have 64-bit Firefox....
September 10, 2012 8:13:34 PM

freggoAs a web developer I'd love to see an improvement in page layout consistency.It is frustrating to look at a webpage, even a fairly basic one, in 3 different browsers and see it rendered differently; then having to explain the difference to the client :-(

Sigh... that's the whole POINT of HTML as originally conceived. HTML is supposed to describe a page, and then the browser/user is supposed to decide how best to display that content given the display hardware. You should be able to see the same content on a high-end workstation PC or a text-only VAX terminal (my first web browsing experience) but there's no guarantee it's going to look the same way, only the best way. And users are supposed to be able to be the final arbiter in page display. If a page looks completely the same everywhere, then HTML is being over-ridden. Page layout ultimately should be decided on the receiving end.
!