too much troubles

umala

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2003
A month ago, Ii wrote the thread: BIOS flash, is it FATAL failure. Basically, I bough a second hand mobo and when start using it, it shows stability. So I decided to FLASH the BIOS and then on booting, nothing appear on the screen. I got a lot answer in this forum but when I bring to the shop, I discovered that the seller has changed the chipset fan from active to passive and as such, the chipset is probably damaged.
It was true that when I start the machine, it gave warning that chipset fan is not connected but as I did not see any fan on chipset so I disabled the warning. It takes me 3 saves to did away with the warning.

But in this forum, people still say that it is OK. So if something is wrong with the chipset as I described above, is there anything can be done to save the mobo.

The trouble continued as I put the CPU to a new mobo. When start up, I dicovered that I have not plug a power to the 9700 graphic card. So I unplugged the power cord from the PSU. i could here a spart but I just think that is normal ( I experienced many times). But after that, the system could not boot again. Basically, when you connect the two Power pin on the mobo, the CPU fan just moved a little and stop. Ii tried to clear BIOS but no help. Is is short circuit symptom. Any cure.

Thanks

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
1) Replacing a fan with a passive cooler is fine, assuming it's up to the job. If your case airflow is ok then it's probably not a problem. You may get instability through overheating, but it depends on the ambient temperature where you are, and what you're doing with the pc.

2)It does indeed sound like a short. I would remove the motherboard from the case completely, and put it on a non-conductive surface (A wooden table, or a Telephone book perhaps), and plug in CPU, Cooler, Graphics card and one stick of RAM. Then see if it'll boot. If it does, then you know it's shorting out against the case, or one of the other components screws it up once it's plugged in.

umala

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2003
1) It does not boot after I put in the cooler fan. However, I forgot to heck the ase airflow.
2) After doing like your suggestion now the CPU fan work normally but the system does boot. Now I have two mobo in the same behaviour. The Radeon 9700 graphic card really show trouble. I used it before and it worked OK. But now, when I plugged it in a normally working machine, the PC shows sympton od short circuit ( CPU fan just mobed a little). But in this machine, I just need to replace another graphic card and it works again( no power plug, no BIOS clear). So it seems that the 9700 cause short circuit whenevr it goes. And also it is the first graphic card that require floppy disc type power supply that I have used. So now MORE trouble and question
3) Does it seem that AGP slot in the second mobo is damaged.
4) How to check if something is wrong with the 9700.

Thanks you so much.

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
Well, it sounds like the 9700Pro is a problem.

If the other graphics card you have (the one that works) works fine in BOTH motherboards, then that would show you whether or not there is a problem with the AGP slot on either of them.

Pretty much all the higher-end graphics cards have required an external power supply. They won't work if it's not plugged in. Are you definitely making sure the extra power lead is connected when you're testing it?

Are you using the same power supply for testing each system? it's possible the power supply is dead, or it's unable to function with the extra load that the 9700Pro puts on it.

You could perhaps go to a nearby small computer shop and ask them if they'll test your graphics card for you. They should have a few systems they could use, and they'll not charge you much I would think (no idea, but it's only 10 minutes of work or less). Either that or find a friend who trusts you to stick your card in his machine to test it :)

On the face of things, it sounds a bit like your 9700 is dead, but it's hard to be sure.

umala

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2003
The 9600Pro that work in the machine I am currently use now does not work in the second machine. I am sure about the power as if there is no power plug then the monitor will have a red sentence of warning. But it is now all black.