i unable to install nt4 sever on my pc

when i intalling the nt4 server on my pc in floppy less
mode with the switch winnt /b . it copies all the
necessary file in temp dir on hdd. but when it again
restart the message shows like this " inaccessible boot
devices " and then pc halted. i all ready disable all
inbuilt soundchip and modems. but still get this message
again. can any body help me to correct this prob.....
mail me at abuzarkc@rediffmail.com

"Inaccessible boot device" is standard error produced either by NT OS loader
(NTLDR) in case it is not able to access or initialise NT OS kernel file
(eventually setup kernel file) or by NT OS kernel (NTOSKRNL) in case first
two critical files are inaccessible or failed to initialise.

As it is in first reboot after winnt /b it is sure produced by NT loader
(you can find module name in top left part of error message screen) and
probably it is because it is not able to locate partition specified in
boot.ini file using given driver.

What to check:

* BIOS settings - NT OS is not Plug and Play, be sure "PnP aware OS" setting
in your BIOS (if it is here) is set to OFF or NO.

* BIOS settings - disk addressing mode should be LBA, if you have AUTO, try
to change this to LBA.

* BIOS settings - if you have more disks or disk controllers, be sure you
set correct (boot) order of these devices in your BIOS.

* Partition structure - Windows NT setup can use only standard FAT16 and
NTFS filesystems. It is not possible to use FAT32 or NTFS versions used by
Windows 2000 or XP for NT setup. NT setup is also not possible to use
logical disk, even with compatible filesystem, if it is located inside
incompatible extended partition (if any EBR in chain has another code than
05, all logical disks after this EBR are inacessible by NT setup).

* Partition structure - There are two partition roles: "system" and "boot".
In MS terms, "system" partition is partition machine is booting from, it is
partition NT loader files are located on (usually it is C: drive). "Boot"
partition is partition where operating system files are located. You can use
one partition to play both roles, but in such case you should to follow
strict rules for location and size of system partition (see bellow). "Boot"
partition is not limited in location and size, but it is unrecommended to
make it greater 127GB.

* Partition structure - "system" partition limits - if you are using NT 4 OS
loader, you should to follow location and size limits. This partition may
not ends far than 7.8GB from begin of disk. This partition should be the
first "known" partition in partition table (MBR) and it is better if it
begins inside first 2016MB of disk space (especially in case of FAT16
filesystem).

* Disk driver - be sure you are using compatible disk driver, if you need to
provide updated or third party driver, you need to connect floppy device or
create unattended installation script to provide correct driver during
installation. In case of problems try to press F6 key during first setup
phase (when "setup is inspecting your hardware" message appears on screen),
there is not immediate reaction ,so pres this key a few times to be sure.
This will disable autodetection and autoloading of mass storage drivers and
it will summon mass storage driver installation screen at next step for
manual loading. Autodection and autoloading sometimes brings up wrong driver
that blocks loading of correct one and leads to failed installation.
Unfortunately manual loading of updated or third party drivers needs floppy
to be operational.

* Boot.ini - operating system records in boot.ini can use two notations -
multi() and scsi(). Default one is multi() and it means that NT loader will
use functions of BIOS standard disk services (INT13H) to access "boot"
partition. It can be used only in case your "boot" partition can be accessed
this way, especially there is 7.8GB limit and BIOS of your disk controller
should hook itself with BIOS standard disk services to support disk
ccess - if you are using non-ata/ide controller with its own BIOS (like
SCSI), check if this function is enabled - it is usually default. Scsi()
notation is used in case "boot" partition cannot be accessed by standard
BIOS disk services. If you are using scsi() notation, NT loader will load
NTBOOTDD.SYS driver file and use it to access "boot" partition. This driver
file should be in root of "system" partition (as all other NTLoader files)
and it is, in fact, renamed copy of your primary disk controller driver file
.. NTLDR and NTOSKRNL can use different driver files (if they are compatible,
however - for ex. you can use atapi.sys for ntldr and piixide.sys for core).

If you have not luck, post more details, type of disk controller, size and
type of disk, partition structure, how you made it and what you are using
to access your disk in case it is unbootable (i am just curious, it is
problematic on floppyless machine).

luck