notepad not working after mccafee virus scan

Majid

Distinguished
May 8, 2004

my problem is exactly as outlined in knowledge base
article (286363). But how to fix it is not the same. When
i click on system information, there is no "sfc" (file
checker).

Hi majid,

XP's System File Checker is a bit different than the version in WIN98 (the
knowledgebase article references Windows 98). There is a description of the
XP System File Checker in this MSKB article:

You could use the System Configuration Utility (msconfig) to expand the
Notepad file from the install CD, but since there are a couple of different
folders in which to find Notepad.exe, it may be easier to copy the file from
one of the folders into the C:\Windows\System32 folder. Two folders where
Notepad.exe can be found are:
C:\Windows
and
C:\Windows\System32\dllcache
(dllcache is a hidden folder, therefore you would have to set your Folder
Options>View to Show hidden files and folders)

Regards,

--
Patti MacLeod
Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User