Blue Screen of Death Windows 2000 PRO

Ryan

Hey,

My Toshiba Satelite Pro 6000 is having some issues. It is currently
running Windows 2000 PRO and shortly after loading windows it crashes
to the blue screen of death. Then the computer has to sit for a long
while before the computer will even power up again. I have no idea
whats causeing the problem. Any ideas would help.

This may help with the blue screen.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/ddtools/hh/ddtools/bcintro_3dkj.asp

Having to sit for a long time suggests something is overheating.

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Ryan" wrote:
| Hey,
|
| My Toshiba Satelite Pro 6000 is having some issues. It is currently
| running Windows 2000 PRO and shortly after loading windows it crashes
| to the blue screen of death. Then the computer has to sit for a long
| while before the computer will even power up again. I have no idea
| whats causeing the problem. Any ideas would help.

I do not know Toshiba Satelite, but software usually cannot disable turning
on of unpowered machine. So it seems to be hardware related problem. This
"timeout" can be caused by electrical problems (bad capacitor for ex) or by
temperature problems (check all coolers if they are running). Try to enter
your BIOS setup program and look if there is hardware monitor page, if yes
check values here.

As power-on button is not real power switch, machine is turned on using
logical circuits on motheboard, it is possible there is problem with
stand-by power circuits. Some machines have real power switch on rear side
of power source, try to use it or unplug power cord. If it is notebook
remove battery and test it using only external power source, bad battery can
cause notebook startup problems.

Is your blue screen content the same each time? (especially error
number/name and module name/memory location).

If you enter BIOS setup or stop loading of Win2K in startup menu (press F8
during first few seconds of loading screen) and wait a few minutes doing
nothing - will computer hangs too?
And if not and you turn it off, will you be able to power up it immediately
or not?

luck

George

"Jiri Tuma" <jiri.tuma@nospam.seznam.cz> wrote in message news:<O$wZ0r5IEHA.2260@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>...
> I do not know Toshiba Satelite, but software usually cannot disable turning
> on of unpowered machine. So it seems to be hardware related problem. This
> "timeout" can be caused by electrical problems (bad capacitor for ex) or by
> temperature problems (check all coolers if they are running). Try to enter
> your BIOS setup program and look if there is hardware monitor page, if yes
> check values here.
>
> As power-on button is not real power switch, machine is turned on using
> logical circuits on motheboard, it is possible there is problem with
> stand-by power circuits. Some machines have real power switch on rear side
> of power source, try to use it or unplug power cord. If it is notebook
> remove battery and test it using only external power source, bad battery can
> cause notebook startup problems.
>
> Is your blue screen content the same each time? (especially error
> number/name and module name/memory location).
>
> If you enter BIOS setup or stop loading of Win2K in startup menu (press F8
> during first few seconds of loading screen) and wait a few minutes doing
> nothing - will computer hangs too?
> And if not and you turn it off, will you be able to power up it immediately
> or not?
>
> luck
>
> George
>
> "Ryan" <odonnell_rd@yahoo.ca> píse v diskusním príspevku
> > Hey,
> >
> > My Toshiba Satelite Pro 6000 is having some issues. It is currently
> > running Windows 2000 PRO and shortly after loading windows it crashes
> > to the blue screen of death. Then the computer has to sit for a long
> > while before the computer will even power up again. I have no idea
> > whats causeing the problem. Any ideas would help.

When the blue screen pops up there is no error message. I have never
worked on Laptops before but i am now assuming its hardware related as
i found yesterday. After the computer won't turn on the power light
will come on but the computer doesn't activate. When left in this
state the front and a portion of the rear of the laptop get reall hot.
My next step is to take it apart i guess! And see what is heating up

Thanks
Ryan