New mobo wont boot from previous SATA RAID

RedHunter

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2005
SATA RAID seemed like a good idea when I bought an ASUS P4P800e mobo but 18 months down the line the motherboard has become faulty and keeps going into soft powerdown, sometimes after 5 mins but usually before it completes the bios check.

Of course that mobo is obsolete so I bought a different mobo (ASROCK 775V88) still with SATA raid but different RAID controller, only to find that it wont boot from my raid drives although if I boot via an IDE drive I can read the SATA drives.

Anybody got a suggestion to fix this. It seems RAID isn't worth much if your board goes down and is obsolete in 18 months.

pwnage

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2005
two issues can arise when you swap an old mobo with a new mobo.

1. When Windows XP is installed it takes an "invitory" of your mobo. so if you change it you need to do what is called a "repair install" this will take the old Windows system files and replace them with new ones. there should be no data loss but it can happen (but very very very rarely)

2. changing your raid chip set can cause a similer problem. although, im not sure how to fix that. i would tend to think that a repair install would fix it but.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
RAID0 is worthless for most people to begin with. If your drives were in RAID1, they should be "retrievable". And yes, any other RAID than RAID1 will leave your data unretrievable if you switch controllers.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Nope, repair installation won't fix a broken array. The RAID controller sets how the data is split between the drives, you change RAID controllers and the data is useless.

Of course there's always RAID1, which doesn't split the data, it just mirrors it. Such drives should automatically be recovered in Windows when connected in non-RAID mode, but if they aren't, simple recovery software should be able to fix things.

Most people don't do RAID1. We usually assume someone is speaking of RAID0, which would be unretrieable.