Disk error message on startup

I receive this message on startup

disk error
press any key to restart

restarting will not work and I checked all the cd/dvd/and
floppy drives

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

thanks,
paul
2 answers Last reply
More about disk error message startup

    Paul,

    If you are receiving this message when trying to boot from your hard
    drive, this is not a good thing my friend. More-than-likely you have
    had a disk failure.

    If however you are receiving this while booting from the mentioned
    devices - CD/DVD/Floopy - then it is likely a problem with those
    devices or the media.

    Regards,

    Clinton Fitch
    Principle
    C3 Technology

    http://www.c3-technology.com

    On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 11:12:45 -0700, "Paul"

    >I receive this message on startup
    >
    >disk error
    >press any key to restart
    >
    >restarting will not work and I checked all the cd/dvd/and
    >floppy drives
    >
    >any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
    >
    >thanks,
    >paul

    Hi, Paul.

    This could be caused by a momentary glitch that will fix itself, but since
    it hasn't, it also could be a very serious problem. You say you've
    "checked" the drives; you don't say how, but I assume you mean you've opened
    your computer case and made sure that all the cables are firmly and
    correctly connected.

    When you turn on the power, what do you see, step by step? (You can see
    your computer; we can't, so we have to depend on what you tell us.)

    Do you hear the power-on beep? Does the computer complete its POST
    (Power-On Self Test)? Does it show a list of hard drives? Etc. How far
    does it get before you get the error message?

    It sounds like you have a hardware problem that has nothing to do with WinXP
    because Windows has not even started to load when you get the error message.

    We might have a better chance to help you if you tell us the make and model
    of your computer, how many HDs, what interface (IDE, SCSI, SATA or ??), and
    how they are partitioned. What recent changes have you made to the
    hardware? What was the last thing that happened before you started getting
    the error message? Was the final shutdown normal?

    We'd like to help you, but we can't do much without more information.

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    "Paul" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I receive this message on startup
    >
    > disk error
    > press any key to restart
    >
    > restarting will not work and I checked all the cd/dvd/and
    > floppy drives
    >
    > any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
    >
    > thanks,
    > paul

Floppy Disk Microsoft Disk Error Windows XP